Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10.0

First, everyone, thanks for all of your work on this. I'm amazed to have gotten this far (Geekbench: 3490/19684).

The only way that I can boot is to enter BIOS, click on the USB drive (I think this is a boot override setting) and allow the installer stick to boot. I can then mount my Yosemite drive normally. My hardware is:

Asus X99 Deluxe
i7 5930K
Dual R9 280X GPU
32GB RAM (G.Skill PC4-1900)
512GB SSD

First, make sure that you have the latest UEFI Bios from ASUS on your X99-Deluxe. You should be on v1004. That version is required so that you can boot from a GUID Partition Table-partitioned drive. Otherwise, you'll always have to boot with your USB UniBeast key.

But more importantly, the problem is your video card. The R9 (or R7's for that matter) do not support legacy boot mode. I had that same exact issue - and was told by one of the power users/moderators that the issue was just that.

So I ended up returning my XFX R9 270X and getting one of the NVIDIA cards on the Buyer's Guide. Connected that, booted with the proper boot flags, and BAM, works like a champ. I hope that it's not too late and you can return your GPUs. If not, you may have to check over in the video support forum to see if there are any users trying to get that card to work in Mavericks. That might give you some direction on how to make your cards work in Yosemite.

First, make sure that you have the latest UEFI Bios from ASUS on your X99-Deluxe. You should be on v1004.

Yes, I updated the BIOS.

But more importantly, the problem is your video card. The R9 (or R7's for that matter) do not support legacy boot mode.

Ouch, but glad there's an explanation. I have a day or two to try to make them work or else return them. My rationale in choosing them was that they were supposed to be better for FCP than the NVIDIAS.

Thanks, BoomR.

@ Samtimbaud

Hey guy sorry if it is too much to ask you for help on how you finally got Yosemite install in your Deluxe motherboard. As you can see I have the same specs almost as yours, so if you don't mind and have some time to spare and explain me the steps that you did to install Yosemite I will appreciate your kindness, TIA SAM.
Cindori said:
I promised to make a good guide but I can't seem to boot USB either with un!beast or chameleon. They both stuck at PCI Configuration Begin, even with 10.9.5 kexts. I think it could be related to my GPU (980)...

My theory was to use this installer (+patch kernel and use stinga11 kext pkg) instead of having to use un!beast. But it didn't work so... Maybe someone else can try that.

So the best steps are really so far the same as detailed in onmybikedrunk's post. I am rewriting them here with some added details. Remember this guide is primarily for 5960x users.

1. Make sure you have working Mac install to prepare your USB on (can be other machine), and latest BIOS
2. Create USB install with un!beast
3. Patch kernel according to first post in this topic
4. While in 10.9.5 delete stock AppleACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily from USB/S/L/E and then remove all kexts from Extra on your finished USB installer
5. Copy the kext's from stinga11's package to USB/S/L/E: [stinga11 pkg for 5960x]
6. Boot with -v npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 (if Maxwell gpu, also use nv_disable=1)
7. Complete install and then reboot your previous working OS X install
8. Now redo step 3, 4 and 5 but on your Yosemite disk as target
9. Reboot to USB but select your Yosemite in bootloader
10. Install latest Clover and Clover Configurator on your disk
11. Install nvidia web drivers if necessary
12. Use clover configurator to set your clover boot args and Mac Pro 6.1 smbios. Set nvda_drv=1 if you installed nvidia web drivers.
13. Install AppleE1000.kext and AppleGB.kext to S/L/E. This enables internet straight away.
14. Now you can remove the USB and just boot your Yosemite disk!

This is a guide Cindori made.

@ BOMERR

Guy thanks for your time to respond to my someones else request, I will give a shoot and I will post my outcomes. Thanks ones more.

I've been thinking of a new Hackintosh build and I'm currently divided between a "safe" Z97 build and a more powerful X99 build.

I've went through this thread quite a bit and as far as I've figured out, I would probably be able to get a build running with X99 + 5820K + GTX 970 + two SSD's (dualbooting Windows / OSX).

Now the question I have is:
How much does the lack of power management actually matter? Ie. how much is the idle-consumption increased because of this?

Anandtech has a test with X79 + 6-core 4960X @ 4.2GHz + GTX970 idling on Windows desktop at about 80W. What could I realistically expect from a X99 + 5820K + GTX 970 running more or less idle in OSX? 100W? 120W? 140W? 300W? Anand's load power consumption when running Crysis with their machine is about ~300W.

Could someone with a nice X99 hack and a Kill-A-Watt meter be able to give me some ballpark figures? I assume this issue doesn't affect GPU. Watts matter, because at low enough power levels some PSU's are able to switch to a passive cooling mode reducing noise. Not to mention that here in Germany I pay 28c per kWh. That is 35 US cents per kWh.

I've been thinking of a new Hackintosh build and I'm currently divided between a "safe" Z97 build and a more powerful X99 build.

I've went through this thread quite a bit and as far as I've figured out, I would probably be able to get a build running with X99 + 5820K + GTX 970 + two SSD's (dualbooting Windows / OSX).

How much does the lack of power management actually matter? Ie. how much is the idle-consumption increased because of this?

Anandtech has a test with X79 + 6-core 4960X @ 4.2GHz + GTX970 idling on Windows desktop at about 80W. What could I realistically expect from a X99 + 5820K + GTX 970 running more or less idle in OSX? 100W? 120W? 140W? 300W? Anand's load power consumption when running Crysis with their machine is about ~300W.

Could someone with a nice X99 hack and a Kill-A-Watt meter be able to give me some ballpark figures? I assume this issue doesn't affect GPU. Watts matter, because at low enough power levels some PSU's are able to switch to a passive cooling mode reducing noise. Not to mention that here in Germany I pay 28c per kWh. That is 35 US cents per kWh.

I have tested using Intel's Power Gadget and here are my results running 4.2 OC and about a 10% increase in CPU voltage so stock will be even less difference:

Windows with full power management - 5-7 watts at idle
OSX Yosemite without power management - 22-25 watts at idle

Your GTX 970 will most likely not support power management regardless of x99 or z97 since 970 is not officially supported in Yosemite. Therefore net difference at idle will be less than 20 watts.

I have not measured the difference in sleep mode, but I have always disabled sleep mode in both Windows and OSX since I don't leave my system on if I'm not using it and there is always a bit of lag coming when systems wake up.

So basically, I would say power management is a non-issue so you should decide based on the current state of x99:

- Requires patched kernel until Apple launches new Mac Pro line with Maxwell
- People still running into various issues with installation, but there are several people that are successful with Gigabyte (me) and Asus.
- Audio is fairly complicated to setup and quality seems to be a question. Non issue if you have USB or BT audio.

Everything is working stable right now with a 5820k and a gigabyte motherboard besides power management.

If you can afford the x99 then do it.

btw I second that audio was the worst part of the install process but its working fine now with the patched AppleHDA.kext.

why none of you guys try to help me with my problem?? is ASRock x99x Killer with nvidia GTX 980 hard for you guys lol?

why none of you guys try to help me with my problem?? is ASRock x99x Killer with nvidia GTX 980 hard for you guys lol?
read my posts do what do i say.

Another successful installation here :headbang:

- Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 with the latest F9e bios
- i7-5820
- Nvidia GTX 970
- Clover
- SMBIOS from iMac 13,1

The worst part was actually audio, I solved it with Voodo kext but I will try HDAEnabler latter today.

iMessage is working as well with the help of Apple support and fix iMessage thread :thumbup: on general help sub forum.

I though have problem with graphics, it keeps switching back to system driver after every reboot so there I'm not yet done, as well as system info is showing unknown cpu and unknown graphic card with 0 MB.

Any advices?

Tnx

Back