Contribute
Register

Has anyone tested the GTX 660 (non-Ti)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checking back in. I tried it with using my onboard, but my onboard doesn't output since I have a video card in. I tried initiating the Intel Flexible Display Interface, but it still won't output. I hope there is a fix for this soon. I'd like to use this new computer as a Mac instead of Windows (all the time).

I just wanted to let you know that I found this. Apparently someone got it to work with the new Nvidia Drivers they released. :) I tried, but I can't even get fully into the installer for Mountain Lion so I'm trying to trouble shoot that error now. I'll include the photos of what I'm getting if anyone can help further with ideas or whatever.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/73081-testing-thread-geforce-gtx-660-a.html

photo.jpgphoto2.jpg

I just wanted to follow up. I got it running with the GTX 660! Not on 10.8.2, but on 10.8.1 with the the help of running the latest Nvidia drivers! I had to have the card out until I updated to 10.8.1 and then installed the Nvidia drivers. Turned it off, installed the card, and booted back up and it worked!

I have installed the EVGA GTX 660 SC and it works good in Mountain Lion.
I first tried "GraphicsEnabler=No", installed the card and rebooted and I had initial display but OS X decided it did not recognize the Nvidia Rom.
I tried to play with the bios settings and boot uptions.

I tried to come back to the Intel 4000 which worked fine before without success.
My goal was to boot up and try the Nvidia drivers.

I had to completely remove the GTX 660 to allow me to boot again.
I installed the latest Nvidia drivers, made sure I had "GraphicsEnabler=Yes", turned it off, re-installed the GTX 660, rebooted and voilà.

I left the bios settings at auto, I think.
I had fun for a couple of hours and I got to bed very late last night but I made it finally.
I now have a working graphics card and I am very happy.
For a while I thought I had waisted that money.

The only strange thing so far is that when I shut down, it turns off but will turn back on again, it does a restart.
Not a major problem but annoying because hitting the power button is not practicle, so I will hit F10 to go to the boot menu and then I turn it off manually.

Here are my system configs:

Case Cooler Master Elite 120
Intel DH77DF mITX board
i3-3225 with Noctua NH-L9i
16 GB Patriot RAM 1600
EVGA GTX 660 SC 2GB
PSU Corsair CX500
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD for OS X
WD Black 2 TB for data and backups
I am also adding a new Intel 240GB SSD which will contain Windows 8 Pro so I will have the two OS in the same PC.

I got the GTX 660 on sale for 215$ including a free copy of Assassin's Creed 3.
Good card for the price and it works using Nviidia's drivers.

I hope this helped.

I have a gtx 660 and can't boot the USB installer for 10.8.2.
My built in graphics card is too old (older than hd3000) so I can't boot with it either.
I do have SL installed though but I'm not sure it could help.

Yonuz,

have a look at this post for instructions on how to copy over the Nvidia drivers to Unibeast to be able to boot the installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back