Contribute
Register

Handoff Option Missing in Yosemite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about this combined with this. I'm just a bit unsure about the antenna situation. It looks like there are slots for 4, but my mobo only has two. Do you think I have to do some construction on the case and guy 2 more antenna and cables?

[edit] According to the support at osxwifi, I can get away with 2 antennas, but the speed will just be slower. I guess I'll be testing this option soon.

You might get away with just the first link but you will have to buy the antenna cables separate and all 4. You will need them to make the card work properly. Then, depending on your case, just sellotape them to the side panel like they are normally spread at the back of a laptop screen.

I just need some clarification.

Is the missing option to turn on Handoff in settings due to the system profile, or the incompatible BT card?

The setting is missing for me, but I would like to sort out the reason.

I just need some clarification.

Is the missing option to turn on Handoff in settings due to the system profile, or the incompatible BT card?

The setting is missing for me, but I would like to sort out the reason.

Incompatible BT and WIFI. You need to have them both installed and compatible by my understanding. Having a BT supported chipset alone will not activate it. I bought an Apple one with adapter. It is the easiest way to do it and no more messing about.

You can keep trying bluetooth adapters and Wifi forever and never get the right combination. This way, it is a bit expensive, but it sorts the problem out permanently. I think £50 is about the max I would pay for the two. Anymore than that and I would rather go without as it's overpriced.

My Apple wireless keyboard was more than that and the magic mouse was also more expensive. It's a matter of priorities I guess, how much do you need it, want it, and how much are you going to use it?

I ordered one also, I'm in Canada and the same vendor you posted is listed on ebay.ca and ships to Canada . Mine cost a little more in CA 107.00$.

Looking at the picture, I would think someone would have to find a spot to put the I/R bluetooth sensor on the case. Like drilling a hole in the front of the case and glue it or secure it somehow there. I'm thinking of putting it on an unused front panel faceplate.

Maybe it's only my imagination. But the little thingy on a wire looks like that to me.

I ordered one also, I'm in Canada and the same vendor you posted is listed on ebay.ca and ships to Canada . Mine cost a little more in CA 107.00$.

Looking at the picture, I would think someone would have to find a spot to put the I/R bluetooth sensor on the case. Like drilling a hole in the front of the case and glue it or secure it somehow there. I'm thinking of putting it on an unused front panel faceplate.

Maybe it's only my imagination. But the little thingy on a wire looks like that to me.

Theres no IR in it lol.

DoH! It's the USB header, ok, I'm a moron ;-)

lol you just got confused. It broadcasts with the 4 antennas. On the laptops it's just 4 cables that get spread at the back of the screen due to the space available. on the pc we have more space so it will have antennas at the back. The usb header cable is just to get the bluetooth working.

I thought the bluetooth would have it's own thingy for broadcasting the signal since there is something on MacPro case for this purpose I think.
I just look at the picture too quickly and jumped to conclusion. ;-)

I thought the bluetooth would have it's own thingy for broadcasting the signal since there is something on MacPro case for this purpose I think.
I just look at the picture too quickly and jumped to conclusion. ;-)

Your right, it does. One of the antennas is just for bluetooth. The other three is so you can get wireless N 450 mbps and have a decent range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back