CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
EDIT: I'm marking this solved, because the original intent of this thread was to diagnose the system's inability to wake from sleep (which is solved in Post #10 of this thread). The current problem (cold-boot on wake from sleep) is started as a new thread here: Macpro5,1 cold-boots on wake from sleep

I can't wake my High Sierra 10.13.6 / MacPro 5,1 system from sleep. Details are as follows.

I have a Socket 1156 Biostar TH55HD motherboard with Xeon X3480 running High Sierra 10.13.6 (system details below). Everything works perfectly except I can't wake from sleep. I know it sleeps, because pwr LED flashes. If I press Pwr button to wake, it cold boots. If I enable "USB Wake S3/S4" in BIOS, system has instant wake problem when a USB device is plugged in. I noticed "no valid sleep image" error on bootlog, but am not sure if that's a clue. I have tried with and without USBInjectAll.kext/Custom SSDT-UAIC/EHCx->EH0x rename (currently running without USBInjectAll.kext).

I have tried various values of Darkwake without success. Other than this one issue, the system is absolutely perfect, so while this isn't a big issue, I'd like to resolve it. Thank you for any help.

System Details:
  • Motherboard: Biostar TH55HD Socket 1156
  • CPU: Xeon X3480
  • CLOVER: R4813 (Legacy)
  • Model: MacPro 5,1
  • Video: NVidia 9800GT 1GB / NVidia Web Drivers 387.10.10.15.15.108
  • Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
  • SSD: 256GB HP S700 Pro (TRIM Enabled)
More details about my system are posted here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mojave-on-biostar-th55hd-socket-1156.268254/

Attachments

• debug_28507.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Try darkwake=0
Try darkwake=1
Try darkwake=8
Thank you for the quick reply. I suspect that your suggested darkwake values require me to have specific BIOS setting(s) and DSDT patches as well (since I have already tried those darkwake values without success). Are you able to answer the following?
  1. Should "USB Wake from S3/S4" be enabled in BIOS? If so, what prevents "Instant wake" when a USB device is inserted into one of the USB ports?
  2. Is _PRW correct in my DSDT (debug files posted in first post)?
Thank you!

Last edited:
I tried those darkwake suggestions in conjunction with various BIOS settings. It doesn't appear that darkwake has anything do do with my system's ability to wake from sleep. Thank you for your suggestion.

Attachments

• Biostar-TH55HD-BIOS-Settings.pdf
    21.1 KB · Views: 142
My system went to sleep and reminded me that I still don't have a solution for this. Any thoughts? I see from the lack of views of my debug and BIOS files that this issue isn't one that attracts much attention by the moderators. Is that because it's a known issue with an easy solution (that I haven't found) or a hard problem without a solution?

Disable EHCI on bios
Did you mean to disable "EHCI Handoff" (and not actually disable the EHCI USB)? I assumed you mean disable "EHCI Handoff" and tried this, but I lose my front panel (EHC1) USB ports and still can't wake from sleep. The Instant Wake problem occurs if I have "EHCI Handoff" disabled, "USB Wake From S3/S4" enabled and a USB device plugged into the one of the rear (EHC2) USB ports.

I have reverted to the following BIOS configuration (my current baseline) to restore operation of my front-panel USB (EHC1) ports:
  • EHCI Handoff - Enabled
  • USB Wake from S3/S4 - Disabled

I think I may be closer to resolving the Wake from Sleep problem with my Biostar TH55HD Motherboard / MacPro 5,1 / High Sierra. This motherboard has separate jumpers for +5VDC in Standby mode for the front and rear-panel USB ports. The factory position for the jumpers was "OFF" (no power to USB during Standby). I changed both jumpers to enable +5VDC during standby. This jumper change fixes the "Instant Wake" problem (my system now remains asleep when I have "USB Wake from S3/S4" enabled in BIOS and a USB device is plugged into a USB port).

Now, I can sleep from MacOS and wake my system from sleep by clicking USB mouse button. The only problem now is that instead of resuming from sleep, the system reboots on wake. Now, I'll try various darkwake settings again. Note that I still cannot wake with PS/2 devices (can't wake with PS/2 keyboard or mouse).

I tried various darkwake settings listed below without success. Regardless of the darkwake setting, my system reboots when waking from sleep. For each darkwake setting, I changed the darkwake value in config.plist, deleted all com.apple.PowerManagement files in /L/P, shutdown, rebooted, then tried sleep.

Darkwake settings that I tried (all appeared to have same behavior and wake from sleep still reboots):
  • darkwake=0
  • darkwake=1
  • darkwake=2
  • darkwake=8
Note that I'm currently running with my motherboard jumpers as described in Post #10 of this thread and my current BIOS configuration (full BIOS config is attached) includes the following changes from the baseline I first posted in Post #6:
  • Suspend Mode - Auto (Both S1 and S3) (changed from S3)
  • USB Wake From S3/S4 - Enabled (changed from Disabled)
  • PowerOn Keyboard (any key) - Enabled (changed from Disabled)
  • PowerOn Mouse - Enabled (changed from Disabled)
Despite PowerOn Keyboard and PowerOn Mouse, I am unable to wake my system with PS/2 devices, so the PowerOn Keyboard and PowerOn Mouse BIOS settings appear to have no effect for me.

Attachments

• Biostar-TH55HD-BIOS-Settings.pdf
    21.7 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back