Contribute
Register

Hackintosh Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
The motherboard and cpu are what I am using for my ML server.
A few things depending on how you use it.

You will need a monitor for initial hookup. Once you allow screen sharing and you screen share to the server you can then remove the monitor.

Be sure to plan your server set up before install.
Is it going to be local or forward facing (a .com)
If its a .com then get a certificate from where you bought the domain name.
Assign a static IP for the server.
Create a certificate in Hardware/server/setting before creating an open directory.
create local network users rather than local users (except for admin)
airprint activator if you want to transform a shared printer in an Airprint printer.

Even though I use all 4 internal sata ports for hard drives and wanted more storage, I didn't buy another sata controller for internal drives. Instead I just bought a network storage device and mounted it to the server. Much easier and I can take it with me if needed.

h77m-itx has 2xsata3 and 2xsata2

btw if you are going with a 7series board, and are going to use the onboard gfx, go with an IB cpu otherwise you have to mess with kexts to get the gfx working right

Only difference in the two boards seem to be the SATA ports and that the B model supports
Intel Small Business Advantage when running Windows...
Not any of the two would really matter for me - only question is: Do you have a modded BIOS that would work with either of them?

I looked in the thread here but don't seem to find BIOS for these exact two boards (or have I just missed it?)

Anyone who would recommend a cheap ivy bridge?

go for whichever you think is the better buy.

when you get the board or are about to, just post a request in the asrock bios thread and ill knock one up for you.

look at the i3 3225.

The motherboard and cpu are what I am using for my ML server.

Nice! Did you mod to make everything work?

You will need a monitor for initial hookup. Once you allow screen sharing and you screen share to the server you can then remove the monitor.

Yes, that was my plan, but thank you for mentioning :)

Be sure to plan your server set up before install.
Is it going to be local or forward facing (a .com)
If its a .com then get a certificate from where you bought the domain name.
Assign a static IP for the server.
Create a certificate in Hardware/server/setting before creating an open directory.
create local network users rather than local users (except for admin)

I would love to make it a server accessible from the outside also, but I will see about that when I am ready to install. First up is findig the right building blocks in terms of hardware.

Even though I use all 4 internal sata ports for hard drives and wanted more storage, I didn't buy another sata controller for internal drives. Instead I just bought a network storage device and mounted it to the server. Much easier and I can take it with me if needed.

Exactly what do you mean, a NAS? Can you link to what you bought?

go for whichever you think is the better buy.

when you get the board or are about to, just post a request in the asrock bios thread and ill knock one up for you.

look at the i3 3225.

The H77M-ITX is for some reason either quite hard to find or quite a lot more expensive here in Denmark, so I will stick to the B model.
But the CPU - I see good reason: It's more compatible, a little more future proof, 10W more energy efficient (really important as I will passive cool it) and only about $35 more expensive.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back