EVGA GeForce GTX 770
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,

Long-time reader, first-time poster! First of all, what a great website and resource this is! Well done to everyone involved in creating and maintaining the site. Secondly, I'm looking to put together my first Hackintosh, and just wanted some feedback on the components list I've come up with, and also had a couple of questions I was wondering if anyone could help me out with!

Here is my components list. This machine will primarily be used for video editing and motion graphics (Premiere and After Effects) with a bit of 3D (mainly Element 3D in AE, but also a little bit of Cinema 4D). So I'm basically looking for a machine that will give me super fast render times in both Premiere and AE, and also be able to handle 3D well. What do you guys think?

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force

Chipset - Intel Core i7 4770K
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3
Hard Drive - SanDisk 240GB SSD SATA3
Blu-Ray Burner - Pioneer Blu-Ray BDR-208DBK
Wi-Fi Card - TP-Link TL-WDN4800 Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter
Case - Corsair Graphite 600T Silver Edition Case
Power Supply - Corsair HX 850 v2 850W 80 PLUS Gold
Cooler - Corsair H100i Liquid CPU Cooler
GFX - EVGA GeForce GTX 770 (2GB)
OS - OS X Mavericks 10.9
Monitors - going for a dual monitor setup but haven't decided what I'm gonna get yet!

I've gone for a 240GB SSD as my main drive for the OS and apps, but was wondering whether getting 2 x 128GB SSD's and putting them in RAID 0 would be a better option for the speed increase? Is the speed increase worth it?

Secondly, was wondering if anyone can recommend a cheap and compatible Firewire 800 card, and also a E-SATA card?

Finally, and probably most importantly, I'm really stuck on what graphics card to get! I want something compatible that will work without too much tinkering, but also something that will give me the render boost I'm looking for in Premiere/After Effects/Element 3D. I've gone for a motherboard that is SLI compatible as I'm thinking of adding cards down the track (can't afford to do it right away), so I'm also looking for a card that is SLI compatible. Is the GTX 770 my best bet?

Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys!

The GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H has 2 built-in e-sata ports on it. Here's a cheap FW800 card. Raid 0 doesn't really help much on SSDs and decreases reliability.

Can't really answer your graphics card question. But OSX does not support SLI. Most things I've read however is get the fastest single card you can as dual or more GPUs aren't always supported on the Windows side either and on some applications can actually be slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back