Contribute
Register

Hackintosh - CPU overheating but only sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z270X-Ultra Gaming-CF (U3E1)
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz
Graphics
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA)
Hey guys,

Really appreciate the help in advance.

My hackintosh has both Mac and Windows partitions.

My friend built me an hackintosh about a month and a half ago. It's performance wasn't consistent and I didn't really question it until recent.

Recently I switched from playing PUBG to mac to work on some music. I opened a project to work on it and on Ableton it was at 100% CPU workrate which is really strange because I know it should be like that. Looked at the temperate and it was at 100 Degrees including the heatsink. I turned it off straight to let it cool down. I reopened awhile later and it was the same.

I read some forums and it said it might not be attached properly. So I unattached the coolent and put back on (note it is this cooler Corsair C W-9060007WW Hydro Series H60 High Liquid CPU Cooler).

Once doing that it still wasn't behaving right, idling at 50 degrees. I kept switching from mac to windows checking the temperature and suddenly it starting work? It started sitting back at 30 degrees. Playing PUBG idling at 60 degrees which is what I expect.

It seems the only way to fix this problem at the moment is restarting my PC about 5 times! Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't on both mac and windows. This makes me question whether it is a hardware problem or software problem?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Added note to this, when I boot in boot manager (opening into windows straight away) it does overheat? but then its the off chance it will work on mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back