RAM: PNY XLR8 2133MHz 8GB (2x4GB)
Hard drives (SSD): Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5"
Hard drives (HDD): WD Caviar Blue 3.5" 7200rpm
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX650 1GB
Case: BitFenix Prodigy mini ITX
PSU: Corsair CX430 semi-modular
Optical drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST

Questions:

1. Are these parts compatible with a Hackintosh build?
    • If some aren't, please state which ones are not and let me know of one that is compatible.
  2. Are there any things to be aware of/any tips that could help? This is my first Hackintosh build.

Thanks!

Part list:

CPU: i5-4670
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA Z87N-WIFI
RAM: PNY XLR8 2133MHz 8GB (2x4GB)
Hard drives (SSD): Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5"
Hard drives (HDD): WD Caviar Blue 3.5" 7200rpm
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX650 1GB
Case: BitFenix Prodigy mini ITX
PSU: Corsair CX430 semi-modular
Optical drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST

Questions:

1. Are these parts compatible with a Hackintosh build?
    • If some aren't, please state which ones are not and let me know of one that is compatible.
  2. Are there any things to be aware of/any tips that could help? This is my first Hackintosh build.

Thanks!

1.Yes, they are compatible, but I would use a Pioneer or LG ODD instead of the Asus. The Asus I have makes a disagreeable screeching noise as it checks for the presence of a disc and interrupts sleep. There is also the LiteOn drive that supposedly is the same as the Sony Optiarc (same drive made by same company for 2 different brands)
2. Just follow the installation guide and pay attention. Take your time putting the parts together and do it correctly. Be especially careful not to bend any pins when installing the CPU.

1.Yes, they are compatible, but I would use a Pioneer or LG ODD instead of the Asus. The Asus I have makes a disagreeable screeching noise as it checks for the presence of a disc and interrupts sleep. There is also the LiteOn drive that supposedly is the same as the Sony Optiarc (same drive made by same company for 2 different brands)
2. Just follow the installation guide and pay attention. Take your time putting the parts together and do it correctly. Be especially careful not to bend any pins when installing the CPU.

Thanks. Do you think that microATX or ATX would be a better choice than mini-ITX?

Also, in the "Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide January 2014" guide, it states in the graphics card section that:
Note: 6xx/7xx cards do not work in Snow Leopard.

This is a problem because I am planning to include a GTX 650 in my build, but in order to install Mavericks, I have to first install Snow Leopard according to the installation guide. Does this mean that, when I am on Snow Leopard, that I have to connect my monitor cable to the motherboard and use integrated graphics while on Snow Leopard and then connect it to the video card when I am on Mavericks?

This is a problem because I am planning to include a GTX 650 in my build, but in order to install Mavericks, I have to first install Snow Leopard according to the installation guide. Does this mean that, when I am on Snow Leopard, that I have to connect my monitor cable to the motherboard and use integrated graphics while on Snow Leopard and then connect it to the video card when I am on Mavericks?

You won't have to install Snow Leopard if you can make your Unibeast drive on a Mac or another
CustoMac that is already running OSX. That's the simplest way to do this. If you have to install
Snow Leopard first get a cheap Sn. Leo. compatible gfx card to use for that install. Use search to find
one that will work.

You won't have to install Snow Leopard if you can make your Unibeast drive on a Mac or another
CustoMac that is already running OSX. That's the simplest way to do this. If you have to install
Snow Leopard first get a cheap Sn. Leo. compatible gfx card to use for that install. Use search to find
one that will work.

You could also just use the CPU gfx if you choose your CPU carefully and install the gfx card after you make your UniBeast USB and install Mavericks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back