Contribute
Register

Hacking an Acer Aspire E15

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it booted back into the Clover menu with several devices showing one of which was the Mac OS X Install which I then booted from.
The installation continued and finished.
I now have an El Capitan Desktop.

I’ll go back to the guide and look at the post installation tasks. Something I noticed during the install was the lack of WiFi option, I read about this so need to look into that.
if you mount your usb efi and also your hard drive efi, you can copy over your efi from your usb to hard drive efi

In this guide that I have been following, I have completed step 3.1 (downloaded and ran ssdtPRGen.sh).

The next part I am unsure about:

3.2 - Clover installation on HDD
Open “Clover configurator” and select tool “Mount EFI”, then click on “Mount EFI partition”. An EFI partition should appear in the Finder.
Use Clover installer to install Clover to EFI partition with the same options as 1.3.
Transfer patched ACPI, config.plist and kexts to Clover EFI partition as you did it in 1.8.
Transfer your new SSDT.aml to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

I have opened Clover Configurator and selected Mount EFI, there was one partition with EFI in its name with a button to Mount Partition. When I did this an EFI device appeared in Finder, as it say it would.
Now I cannot seem to find Clover Installer, is this in the Clover Configurator or is it another download?
When it says:
"Transfer patched ACPI, config.plist and kexts to Clover EFI partition as you did it in 1.8."
Which Clover EFI Partition? The one on the USB Device or on the EFI partition mounted in the step above?
When it says:
"Transfer your new SSDT.aml to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/"
Is this the SSDT.aml that I created using ssdtPRGen.sh and is sitting on the HDD?

When you say:
if you mount your usb efi and also your hard drive efi, you can copy over your efi from your usb to hard drive efi
What steps will this erradicate?

In this guide that I have been following, I have completed step 3.1 (downloaded and ran ssdtPRGen.sh).

The next part I am unsure about:

3.2 - Clover installation on HDD
Open “Clover configurator” and select tool “Mount EFI”, then click on “Mount EFI partition”. An EFI partition should appear in the Finder.
Use Clover installer to install Clover to EFI partition with the same options as 1.3.
Transfer patched ACPI, config.plist and kexts to Clover EFI partition as you did it in 1.8.
Transfer your new SSDT.aml to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

I have opened Clover Configurator and selected Mount EFI, there was one partition with EFI in its name with a button to Mount Partition. When I did this an EFI device appeared in Finder, as it say it would.
Now I cannot seem to find Clover Installer, is this in the Clover Configurator or is it another download?
When it says:
"Transfer patched ACPI, config.plist and kexts to Clover EFI partition as you did it in 1.8."
Which Clover EFI Partition? The one on the USB Device or on the EFI partition mounted in the step above?
When it says:
"Transfer your new SSDT.aml to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/"
Is this the SSDT.aml that I created using ssdtPRGen.sh and is sitting on the HDD?

When you say:

What steps will this erradicate?
shouldn't need to install clover, you can just copy over your efi folder from your usb installer to your mounted efi on your hard drive

shouldn't need to install clover, you can just copy over your efi folder from your usb installer to your mounted efi on your hard drive
Copy the folder with the contents in onto the mounted EFI partition or copy just the file contents of the folder and place them directly onto the EFI partition?

Copy the folder with the contents in onto the mounted EFI partition or copy just the file contents of the folder and place them directly onto the EFI partition?
copy the entire EFI folder from the EFI partition

copy the entire EFI folder from the EFI partition
When I open Clover Configurator there are 4 partitions listed:
Partition Scheme
EFI disk0s1 Mount Point = /Volumes/EFI
Untitled disk0s2 Mount Point = N/A
Recovery HD disk0s3 Mount Point = N/A
EFI Partitions
EFI on Recovery disk0s1

The only one with a Mount Partition option is the last one, when opened in finder it already has an EFI folder?
So I renamed the EFI folder already there EFI.old and copied the one across from the Clover Folder on the USB.
Re-booted and followed the instructions at 3.3, removed the USB device and successfully rebooted into Mac OS X.

I have changed the boot priority to the HDD and after a short pause I get the clover menu and then it autom boots into Mac OS X.
I have installed the kexts but have no:
Sound (No Output or Input Devices)
WiFi
Brightness Control

I do have:
Ethernet (it worked before anyway)
Web Camera
Sleep Mode

Bluetooth opens and allows the icon in the menu bar however there is no option to turn it off and does not discover any devices.
The keyboard layout is also a little all over the place.

The device is listed as a Macbook Air?

So a little more research on getting some more functionality especially Sound and WiFi (May need a USB WiFi Dongle?).

Thanks for the help so far.

When I open Clover Configurator there are 4 partitions listed:
Partition Scheme
EFI disk0s1 Mount Point = /Volumes/EFI
Untitled disk0s2 Mount Point = N/A
Recovery HD disk0s3 Mount Point = N/A
EFI Partitions
EFI on Recovery disk0s1

The only one with a Mount Partition option is the last one, when opened in finder it already has an EFI folder?
So I renamed the EFI folder already there EFI.old and copied the one across from the Clover Folder on the USB.
Re-booted and followed the instructions at 3.3, removed the USB device and successfully rebooted into Mac OS X.

I have changed the boot priority to the HDD and after a short pause I get the clover menu and then it autom boots into Mac OS X.
I have installed the kexts but have no:
Sound (No Output or Input Devices)
WiFi
Brightness Control

I do have:
Ethernet (it worked before anyway)
Web Camera
Sleep Mode

Bluetooth opens and allows the icon in the menu bar however there is no option to turn it off and does not discover any devices.
The keyboard layout is also a little all over the place.

The device is listed as a Macbook Air?

So a little more research on getting some more functionality especially Sound and WiFi (May need a USB WiFi Dongle?).

Thanks for the help so far.
you can look into intel wifi kext in the search option, there is one floating around, also look for intel bluetooth kext as well, so then you can turn it off, this is a common thing with intel bluetooth but the kext should be able to take care of that

you can look into intel wifi kext in the search option, there is one floating around, also look for intel bluetooth kext as well, so then you can turn it off, this is a common thing with intel bluetooth but the kext should be able to take care of that
Looking at the specs of this Laptop, the WiFi is Atheros (is Intel different?)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 09.54.51.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 09.54.51.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 82
Looking at the specs of this Laptop, the WiFi is Atheros (is Intel different?)
ahh ok

the faq has recommendations:

or you may need to search your make/model to see what support is available

Did some searching an found this post on insanelymac:
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/328426-qualcomm-atheros-ar9565-wireless-for-os-x-108-1014/

Ram the various commands in terminal which all seems to say they failed, rebooted and hey presto WiFi :)
Whilst researching I did see some reports stating that they were only getting slow speeds (5Mbps) and that's what I get on Speedtest, Download an Upload Speeds of just over 5Mbps compared to my Macbook sitting on the same AP - 31Mbps and 17Mbps - but hey its got WiFi and I remember 19Kbps :)

Bluetooth next hurdle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back