Graphics
Nvidia 285 GTX
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I converted the case to ATX a while back but recently decided to refresh the internals and figured Id refresh the case some more too. Figured I would share.

What started out as just wanting to relocate the power supply (used to have it at the bottom of the case) got a little out of hand and I ended up fully disassembling it, sandblasting, and powder coating it this time around just for kicks. Anyway, on to the pictures.

G5Case-SB.jpg

G5Case-powder.jpg

G5Case15.jpg

G5Case16.jpg

G5Case17.jpg

G5Case18.jpg

I still have more to do, Id like to extend the 12v processor power cable so I can run it behind the motherboard and ultimately do some water cooling. I also still need to fab a cable for the front ports and power button.

very nice!

Couple of questions for you:

1. Did you fill in the original apple mounts with filler before sandblasting / powdercoating?

2. What did you use for the new motherboard tray mounts? Did you reglue the original apple ones?

3. How come you went for the power supply up the top and not retro-fitted into the G5 powersupply case? (I'm weighing this up now)

cheers,
Ben

A few answers...

1. I didn't bother filling in the mounts since all but one end up behind the motherboard tray anyway plus most fillers don't powder well, they would have likely still been visible. Specialized fillers that work with powder do exist but they are quite expensive.

2. I used the original apple ones, I just used a powder friendly epoxy to glue them back down.

3. I didnt modify the power supply into the original location for a few reasons...
- Modding the power supply just didn't seem worth the work, I couldn't see any real benefit.
- A full ATX motherboard uses the full height of the lower section of the case as you can see in the pictures so to fit the original power supply would have meant going with a micro-ATX board which I didn't want to do.
- Using a standard power supply means being able to easily swap out as needed when and if my power requirements change. I wanted the case to be as standard ATX as possible so I wasn't having to re-design it every time I wanted to change the components.

:eek:

One of the most beautiful things I've seen. Such great work!!

I'm really curious, how did you fab that back panel to pair up with today's boards? That seems to be the most difficult things about using these cases; the back panel.

I used an aluminum motherboard and back panel I ordered online from another case. I cant remember exactly which case anymore but I'm sure they are easy enough to find. Here is an old picture where you can kinda see what it looks like.

DSC00005.jpg

oldkenobi said:
I used an aluminum motherboard and back panel I ordered online from another case. I cant remember exactly which case anymore but Im sure there. Here is an old picture where you can kinda see what it looks like.

DSC00005.jpg

Brilliant!

Do you remember where you ordered it from? I don't plan to copy it, as the Mac Pro cases are just too large and heavy for me, but I'm very intrigued. Not to mention that it seems like there was still quite a bit of fab work required.

Thanks!

That's a Lian-Li replacement motherboard tray mr. Vendetta...

Depending on where you are, you should be able to purchase online. I know I did for mine.

Vendetta said:
oldkenobi said:
I used an aluminum motherboard and back panel I ordered online from another case. I cant remember exactly which case anymore but Im sure there. Here is an old picture where you can kinda see what it looks like.

DSC00005.jpg

Brilliant!

Do you remember where you ordered it from? I don't plan to copy it, as the Mac Pro cases are just too large and heavy for me, but I'm very intrigued. Not to mention that it seems like there was still quite a bit of fab work required.

Thanks!
http://www.mountainmods.com/parts-mothe ... 34_66.html
I haven't received it yet, but this is the only aluminum mobo tray/back I could find.

That has to be one of the best Mac Pro case mods I've seen. Excellent work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back