Contribute
Register

Hack Desk

As I sit before my daily driver, a 27" M1 chinless iMac no less, aghast at the beauty of the Cosmic Cliffs and the colorful tonymacx86 home page complete with green sock & builders hat!, (Thanks @tonymacx86 :thumbup: ). Between pondering whether to buy another Thunderbolt Display for dismantling and wondering how to get Public Beta of Ventura to install... @Stork I don't believe we've seen your desk!.

greensock.png

Last edited:
enREyy6.jpg
I got two spaces where I use a computer. May main rig is currently dead, but this is my ever messy desk... Until it's untimely death due to Earth swallowing up the transformer in front of my apartment and power surging it to death, this rig WAS a Quad i7 3770K with 32GB RAM and an Nvidia GTX 980ti. It has an Elgato capture device and a TiVo, VCR, and an RCA SelectaVision player attached to it. (SelectaVision is an old video format that used vinyl records to store video). The TV and right monitor are both 1080p and mirrored. The middle and left monitor are 2048x1156, and the top monitor is a 1600x900. The tablet is a dual i5, and sadly, is what I'm relying on right now, till I get my two new machines built up.

3Z0IsFg (2).jpg

This is my workbench. For now, It's just that same tablet from above. The second monitor is a custom monitor I built using a pair of iPad LCD modules. it's a total of 4096x1536 combined resolution, but since the tablet only has one HDMI out, I'm limited to half that. it can slide side to side, and rotate and tilt. I can put it off to the side when not using it, playing music, having youtube up in the background, etc... Or I can slide it right in my face to look at schematics, diagrams, etc really close up.

You wanted messy, raw desks... here ya go.

0eSoaZL (1).jpg

Preview of my replacement workshop computer...

20220710_103240.jpg

My broken screen dead battery mbp / thunderbolt display "macbook-pro-imac" with macpro1 cpu heatsink for silent fanless operation.
The Ducktape just adds to the beauty.

Last edited:
View attachment 552774
My broken screen dead battery mbp / thunderbolt display "macbook-pro-imac" with macpro1 cpu heatsink for silent fanless operation.
The Ducktape just adds to the beauty.
It's a work of art!, it really is and your Duct taped iMac Pro is an inspiration to us all. It seems like Thunderbolt Displays are ubiquitous to hack desks, like James May and his shed. I know @BillyGoatGruff, aka BGG, has several of them. @phunguss do you have one?, I saw your brilliant new iMac hack thread, but amongst the cables, hard drives and telescopes It was hard to discern, which is what a true hack desk does.

Last edited:
View attachment 552768I got two spaces where I use a computer. May main rig is currently dead, but this is my ever messy desk... Until it's untimely death due to Earth swallowing up the transformer in front of my apartment and power surging it to death, this rig WAS a Quad i7 3770K with 32GB RAM and an Nvidia GTX 980ti. It has an Elgato capture device and a TiVo, VCR, and an RCA SelectaVision player attached to it. (SelectaVision is an old video format that used vinyl records to store video). The TV and right monitor are both 1080p and mirrored. The middle and left monitor are 2048x1156, and the top monitor is a 1600x900. The tablet is a dual i5, and sadly, is what I'm relying on right now, till I get my two new machines built up.

View attachment 552769
This is my workbench. For now, It's just that same tablet from above. The second monitor is a custom monitor I built using a pair of iPad LCD modules. it's a total of 4096x1536 combined resolution, but since the tablet only has one HDMI out, I'm limited to half that. it can slide side to side, and rotate and tilt. I can put it off to the side when not using it, playing music, having youtube up in the background, etc... Or I can slide it right in my face to look at schematics, diagrams, etc really close up.

You wanted messy, raw desks... here ya go.

View attachment 552770
Preview of my replacement workshop computer...

In the future, scholars will flip through the pages of history and stumble upon these amazing works of art and debate the desks that inspire such creations. Amazing!.

@miliuco, please share with us your hack desk.

I can say NSFW like @Bustycat :) but really it is a little embellished hack with a single 28" 4K monitor and a small table because I am not at my usual address but somewhere else where I spend a few months a year and, since I can't be without hack for a long time, I have here a duplicate of the one I have at home.
Nothing to do with some amazing desktops that have been published or those well-worked customizations or even the pretty dog of @Edhawk
But it serves to enjoy macOS and learn new things every day.

@Celeri as a celebration in receiving the 'Golden Build' you get to share with us the golden desk that helped create it.

Back