Contribute
Register

Guide: X79 OS X Controlled SpeedStep (CPU Power Management)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guide: Asus X79 OS X Controlled SpeedStep

Thanks for the response Shilohh. I notice that you also mention to add "SystemType=3" in org.chameleon.boot.plist. Do you know why this is or what it does? I have seen other guides that do not even say anything about adding it in.
System type 3 is workstation. It has to do with power delivery. When I started using it back in chameleon, I better benchmark scores. In clover you achieve the same result by usin smart ups in the config.plist. Also, PikerAlpha's script will give you a warning if you have sys def MacPro and are not using sys type 3

So far things are looking great after following your guide Shilohh. The Cpu frequency graph in Hardware monitor is moving up and down indicating that speedstep is working if I am not mistaken?

These are my P-States:
AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 12 22 27 32 35 36 37 (38) ]

Also C Residency as follows:

AICPUPMI: MSR_PKG_C2_RESIDENCY.......(0x60d) : 0x201C1F056E0
AICPUPMI: MSR_PKG_C3_RESIDENCY.......(0x3f8) : 0x7963D6DA0
AICPUPMI: MSR_PKG_C6_RESIDENCY.......(0x3f9) : 0x249D7E724A0
AICPUPMI: MSR_PKG_C7_RESIDENCY.......(0x3fa) : 0x0

Not too sure of what the 0x0 value for C7 suggests or if its important. What are your thoughts on this?

Many thanks for your work and write-up.

Works great on my Asus board; haven't tested on mu Gigabyte board, but will in due course.

I greatly appreciate your input, questions and discussions, both here and elsewhere.

T

Many thanks for your work and write-up.

Works great on my Asus board; haven't tested on mu Gigabyte board, but will in due course.

I greatly appreciate your input, questions and discussions, both here and elsewhere.

T
You're welcome :thumbup: AFAIK, all the gigabyte x89 boards have locked bit 15 of MSR E2 so they won't work. Let me know if you have any luck with yours.

you are correct with the Gigabyte boards, but I'll give it a try and see.

4) The AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementSandE.kext (Only for Sandy Bridge-E CPUs like the 3930K and NOT Ivy Bridge-E CPUs like the 4930K) installed in /S/L/E which overrides the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext with a patched binary (credit to Omni). NOTE: If you have a MSR 0xE2 locked BIOS, the patched AICPUPM kext will KP your system. Also using the StepContextDict from a MacMini6,2 (X79X86PlatformPlugin.kext) helps achieve CStates and lower power draw at idle (credit to Stinga11).

shilohh, I made a little script for patching the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext for get the speedstep on Sandy Bridge-E. You no longer need to use an old pre-patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Only need download and Double click on this patch, the patch does the rest.

Attachments

• 10.9 aicpm patch.command.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 157

shilohh, I made a little script for patching the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext for get the speedstep on Sandy Bridge-E. You no longer need to use an old pre-patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Only need download and Double click on this patch, the patch does the rest.
Awesome stinga11!!, I'll add it to the OP when I get to my home pc (hack)

hi shilohh. is the latest bios 4901 for rampage 4 extreme locked or unlocked?
if locked, could you please post the unlocked version?
thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back