Contribute
Register

Guide: X79 OS X Controlled SpeedStep (CPU Power Management)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guide: Asus X79 OS X Controlled SpeedStep

Hello shilohh,

Thanks for this fantastic guide. I am thinking of buying the socket 2011 Asus Sabertooth X79 listed on the June 2014 Buyers Guide. Its latest Bios is 4608 not sure if that MSR E2 locked or not? I am hoping if it is I can use Coderush's util to patch it.

I am looking the 10 core Xeon E5 2680 v2 processor and not sure what all I will need to do with Clover to get this working controlled speedstep etc? Since CPUPM is now built into the kernel will I need a patched kernel to get this to work? I hope I will not need NullCPUPM? GFX will be a GTX 770 unless I should go with something that will be more compatible nvidia freeze shutter issue and GPU PM?

Thanks
I haven't seen anyone using a Xeon on the gaming boards so IDK about Xeon E5 v2 compatability with the sabertooth. I don't think sabertooth's newer BIOSs are locked.

Patched kernel was only needed for 10.9.1 and earlier with IvyB-E CPUs. The patched kernel did not effect OSPM in any way.

AFAIK nvidia freeze bug was a firmi problem and is a thing of the past. Newer AMD cards require more work than newer nvidia cards.

I don't allow clover to auto patch anything to do with DSDT, SSDT or CPUPM. I do everything correctly by patching my own ACPI tables.

I have recently run into an issue with my sabertooth build. The optical drive is acting funny. I had an asus in there, it worked to install the x79 drivers and such for windows, but would randomly dismount the disk it had in it. This happened on both operating systems (windows and mavericks). I swapped in an LG, and it does not have the issue of dropping the disk, but DVD playback is terribly glitchy and stutters.

Could this be two bad DVD drives in a row? Is the sabertooth sensitive to which SATA port an optical drive is plugged into?

Edit

I swapped the sata cable for the DVD drive from 5 to 6 on the motherboard and all is well. I am going to call asus on this one. The drive worked fine to install games, drivers, and programs. Just had issues with playback.

hi shilohh. is the latest bios 4901 for rampage 4 extreme locked or unlocked?
if locked, could you please post the unlocked version?
thank you

Shilohh I'm trying to create my DSDT and every time I compile the patch this came out. I'm using BIOSs 4802 since I still have 3930K. Should I upgrade to 4804 even if I have 3930 ?

thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 11.13.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 11.13.33 PM.png
    112 KB · Views: 126

Shilohh I'm trying to create my DSDT and every time I compile the patch this came out. I'm using BIOSs 4802 since I still have 3930K. Should I upgrade to 4804 even if I have 3930 ?

thanks for your help!
A better place for this discussion would be here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/1144...ide-create-your-dsdt-5-min-using-maciasl.html

My guess is that you've added something that is referencing your CPU which is not declared in the 4206 DSDT. Personally I'd stick with patched 4206 that I posted for the 3930K but you could update to 4804 if you want. The 4804 DSDT has a CPU declaration but it's huge. Post the DSDT at the tread above as a DSL and I'll take a look.

Hi Shilohh I am beginning my quest for setting up Power Management on my Asus Sabertooth X79 with an Intel 3930K CPU and have landed on your thread of superior knowledge. (Currently running OS X 10.9.4)

I have upgraded my bios to what I have been told is an unlocked version (Bios 4608) however I am yielding a different result for the MSR_PMG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL.(0xE2) output when using the application RunAICPUPMI. You mention that we want to see a result of "0x1E000403" however my result is as below:

AICPUPMI: MSR_PMG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL.(0xE2) : 0x1E000400

Does my result fall within the criteria of achieving Power Management within this guide? I just wanted to be sure just incase I have done something wrong already.

I do believe I saw another thread somewhere with your result of "0x1E000400". How did you manage to achieve the "0x1E000403" result? Am I required to get a result of "0x1E000403" like you have or is "0x1E000400" fine?

Greatly appreciate the time and effort you have put into this thread.

@Shilor,
As long as your CPU is stepping down to 1200 at idle and you reach your max turbo at load and a few steps in betwene, you should be ok. PikerAlpha is a better source of knowledge on this subject. I really am not an authority on the inner workings of OS X or binary code but I'm good at translating what little I understand into lamen's terms. As I understand it, as long as there is not an 8 in the 4th to last digit, bit 15 is not write locked. Beyond that I can't say what should be.

@Shilor,
As long as your CPU is stepping down to 1200 at idle and you reach your max turbo at load and a few steps in betwene, you should be ok.

Thanks for the response Shilohh. I notice that you also mention to add "SystemType=3" in org.chameleon.boot.plist. Do you know why this is or what it does? I have seen other guides that do not even say anything about adding it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back