Contribute
Register

Guide: X79 OS X Controlled SpeedStep (CPU Power Management)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guide: Asus X79 OS X Controlled SpeedStep

Andrew's stuff is really good. He just does it different than I prefer. He taught me when I first learned so I give him props and try to contribute at his site too. I'm going to work on the X79-D patches later this weekend. Do you have any issues with HDDs connected to the Marvell SATA ports being force ejected on wake from sleep?

Also, don't worry about CineBench gpu scores. Your card will murder a Q4000 in cuda and OpenCL performance.

Oh yeah of course I was not fault Andrew's work, that's just I'm really not an expert and you're very very nice and reactive, I learn many things from you so I prefer follow your work !

About wake from sleep, I just tested it now, and while I was typing everything was fine I've seen some issue about it.
1/ Make mac sleep
2/ Wake up with mouse
3/ Every HDD are accessible
4/ A few minutes later, os x says that some disk has been ejected.

These disk are seen as external drives into the disk utilities.

The ejected drives are connected to the Marvell controlled SATA ports correct? Please reply at the DSDT thread and we'll continue there from now on about dsdt

It's not low at all for a 32bit score. 64bit would give you a few K higher score in geekbench. CineBench only measures OpenGL so I wouldn't worry about low fps because you're titan black probably kicks ass in cuda performance. AICPUPMI looks good too.

I've just installed windows 8 on another HDD to make some benchmarks and tests from another platform.
And results are pretty sick compared to my hackintosh :

Heaven
OS X > 2506 VS WIN > 3605

Cinebench
OS X > 62,42fps VS WIN > 115,5fps

My OS X installation seems to be clean, so did you know why I get this huge gap between these results.
Anyone think there is maybe an issue somewhere in my installation or that's just normal for a Hackintosh. If yes, unfortunately I'll maybe go back to Windows because I need OpenGL everyday for After Effects and Cinema 4D. :(
I will do more test in "real life" with some render scene in cinema 4d tomorrow to see if there is differences between render time results and benchmark results.

This is normal for brand new nvidia cards in Mac OS X. Nvidia doesn't focus on OS X drivers as much as they do windows drivers and apple is pretty terrible at developing their own drivers in a timely manner. Most people would only notice a big OpenGL performance difference when gaming. I don't use C4D so I don't really know if OpenGL will make your daily work faster but I can say that it probably won't make a noticeable difference in AE. The only thing you'd want to use OpenGL in AE for is fast previews and not final renders. My 580 use to only score around 55fps in CineBench. Now that the drivers have matured, it scores about 95fps. Eric's 770 also scores 95fps because it's drivers are pretty much the same as the 680. The drivers for your titan black may not mature for a long while in OS X. If you really are concerned about OpenGL, you may want to go with a much cheaper 770 or work in windows when you actually see a need. Personally I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than try to do post production work in windows.

This is normal for brand new nvidia cards in Mac OS X. Nvidia doesn't focus on OS X drivers as much as they do windows drivers and apple is pretty terrible at developing their own drivers in a timely manner. Most people would only notice a big OpenGL performance difference when gaming. I don't use C4D so I don't really know if OpenGL will make your daily work faster but I can say that it probably won't make a noticeable difference in AE. The only thing you'd want to use OpenGL in AE for is fast previews and not final renders. My 580 use to only score around 55fps in CineBench. Now that the drivers have matured, it scores about 95fps. Eric's 770 also scores 95fps because it's drivers are pretty much the same as the 680. The drivers for your titan black may not mature for a long while in OS X. If you really are concerned about OpenGL, you may want to go with a much cheaper 770 or work in windows when you actually see a need. Personally I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than try to do post production work in windows.

thanks for your feedback.
I'll post some results tomorrow.
By the way, I'm still agree to do more test with you about DSDT and ejected drive after waking up.

Hi, I'm back after done a few tests and I got some good news to share.

I've made differents tests in "real life" with Cinema 4D and After effects to compare performances between a fresh installation of windows 8 and my build based on shilohh instruction.
Inded I've seen huge gap between benchmarks results from windows and os x with my config, but in real life, there is absolutely no performances differences.

In cinema 4D, render time is exactly the same and viewport navigation seems to be fluid with the two platforms.

In After Effects, render time is the same too. I even notice a better performance on Ram Preview with OSX (I don't know why).

So, everything seems to work like a charm, thanks again shilohh

Shilohh,

I've a doubt, do I have to set the flag systemtype=3 in my config.plist in clover EFI Partition ? Because I' don't use chameleon..

Hi
shilohh I've reached 7 pstates on my hackintosh asus P9x79LE with I73820, whithout patching my bios. But when OC my processor I only reach 2 pstates. Any Ideas?

PS:sorry for my poor english.

Hello shilohh,

Thanks for this fantastic guide. I am thinking of buying the socket 2011 Asus Sabertooth X79 listed on the June 2014 Buyers Guide. Its latest Bios is 4608 not sure if that MSR E2 locked or not? I am hoping if it is I can use Coderush's util to patch it.

I am looking the 10 core Xeon E5 2680 v2 processor and not sure what all I will need to do with Clover to get this working controlled speedstep etc? Since CPUPM is now built into the kernel will I need a patched kernel to get this to work? I hope I will not need NullCPUPM? GFX will be a GTX 770 unless I should go with something that will be more compatible nvidia freeze shutter issue and GPU PM?

Thanks

Hi
shilohh I've reached 7 pstates on my hackintosh asus P9x79LE with I73820, whithout patching my bios. But when OC my processor I only reach 2 pstates. Any Ideas?

PS:sorry for my poor english.
How do you over clock? What are your BIOS settings for power management?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back