Contribute
Register

Guide: X79 OS X Controlled SpeedStep (CPU Power Management)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guide: Asus X79 OS X Controlled SpeedStep

More about turbo on the E5 2680v2.

From anandtech:
8/7/6/5/4/3/3/3/3/3

My understanding is the number x 100mhz = max MHz raised by turbo for each of the 10 physical cores when all cores are fully loaded (2 logical cores per physical core).

Max turbo MHz added:
8+7+6+5+4+3+3+3+3+3=45x2=90x100=9000mhz (9GHz) total added by turbo.

56 (20x2.8GHz) +10% (110 bclk) = 61.6 + 9 (turbo) = 70.6 total GHz of processing power at max turbo on all cores. NOT TOO SHABY!

The highest I'd go on a 4930k for a 24/7 OC with my current cooler would be about 4.7 and that's pushing it. 4.7 x 12 = 56.4GHz. Now that's over a 14GHz gap so I see the value if you apps are properly engineered for multi threading.

That is deeper than I've gotten on that! Thanks for the information! Guess that's why it looks pretty nice on some of the multi thread benchmarks.

Now if I can just get it to run right will be interesting. I'd love to just drop it in and roll, but I doubt it's going to be that easy. I'm watching ebay and hoping to pick one up for around 1200 or less, then, if all goes well, sell the 4930k for around 400. So for 600-800 investment. Cheaper than 3-5k for an X99 setup! If it boots!!!!!!!!

I'll update you. Might be a few weeks.

Thanks again!

Hey Shiloh,

I don't want to keep stomping on your thread here, I was wondering, I made a thread in the "General Hardware" section about some issues I'm having. Can't get this thing to boot past the apple logo with the 2697V2. Was curious if you could check it out and maybe give me a pointer or 2. From my 6 hours messing today, I've got a bad feeling this might not happen on this board.

Thanks man,

jb

Requirements:

1) PM Unlocked BIOS (you do NOT have MSR register 0xE2 bit 15 set) (The old MSR E2 patch for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext will NOT work).

With PikerAlpha’s AICPUPMI output, If you see:

AICPUPMI: MSR_PMG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL.(0xE2) : 0x****8*** or 0x8*** (*= any number) Then it is locked.

You want to see:
AICPUPMI: MSR_PMG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL.(0xE2) : 0x1E000403 (0x403 is OK)

Hi shilohh,

I have ASUS SABERTOOTH X79:
Sep 20 18:00:02 localhost kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: MSR_PMG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL.(0xE2) : 0x400
Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 18.23.56.png
this is unlocked BIOS, corect ?
tnx a lot.

With PikerAlpha’s AICPUPMI output, If you see:

AICPUPMI: MSR_PMG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL.(0xE2) : 0x****8*** or 0x8*** (*= any number) Then it is locked.

You want to see:

AICPUPMI: MSR_PMG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL.(0xE2) : 0x1E000403 (0x403 is OK)

Not so understand where I can see this?

Hi daviddx,
Looks like your speedstep is working correctly. Your CPU and fans are supposed to clock up when resources are heavily used. Your issue is your browser/s and flash are using lots of power, maybe even while you leave them idle. This could be the fault of flash, the browsers, or maybe even the websites. I see in your screenshot that Firefox flash plugin and chrome helper are drawing the most CPU resources. Try updating Firefox, flash and chrome to see if that helps. Apple has made it clear that they don't care if their products are not compatible with flash so don't expect flash to work like it does in win. However, some browser may work better than others so stick with the ones that work best for visiting your flash sites.

i really don't think this is a web browser issue..

and to prove it I'm going to visit apple store in the city tomorrow and try both iMac 7 with latest cpu and mac pro with 12 cores and use the very same sites on these browser and if that doesn't happen there and their cpu clocks down that mean its not browser issue or flash issue...

I'm using the latest browser and they are up to date even the flash installed in my 10.11.3 or 10.10.5 is latest versions.

just to play with the thought here is there a better power management smbios for my 3930k cpu that i can use beside mac pro 6.1 smbios that I'm using now... maybe some iMac smbios that have better resources scaling and or lock the cpu from getting higher then 3.5 like shown in my screenshots.. i just want the cores to clock down and not stay on 3.5ghz all the time...

I really think you are looking in the wrong place. If software (web browser or plugin) asks the CPU to work hard, it should clock up and work hard. It's doing what it is supposed to. If the CPU stayed clocked up when no apps were open or asking for process power, or if a app asked the CPU to clock up and it didn't, then you'd have a real problem with cpupm. If a web browser or plugin is asking the CPU to work hard when it shouldn't need to, it's not the fault of OS X CPU power management. It's the fault the app, plugin or webpage itself.

If I remember correctly, Apple dissed flash because it was a inefficient resource hog and posed some security risks. They want to push everyone to html5. It sounds to me like flash is acting as expected.

I still think you're barking up the wrong tree because you only have an issue when using your browser while visiting certain flash websites. I'd try a clean install on a different disc and see if the issue still exists. Just because you reinstalled your browser and flash doesn't eliminate them as a culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back