Contribute
Register

[GUIDE/Workaround] Using Intel HD530 with Dual Monitors

You can change which monitor is primary using the information at the beginning of post#1. Just by dragging the the top bar across in System Preferences > Displays > Arrangements. Hope this helps..
nope, i have done that before and it did make both display works the same with the same directions.

in addition, with both cables plugged from booting up. It will end up black screen from the dvi-d port display which i cant land on the normal desktop.

nope, i have done that before and it did make both display works the same with the same directions.
Use each a separate display, not mirrored.
in addition, with both cables plugged from booting up. It will end up black screen from the dvi-d port display which i cant land on the normal desktop.
Disconnect from your secondary display at boot. As I already mentioned you can't have both monitors connected and initialised at boot.

Disconnect from your secondary display at boot. As I already mentioned you can't have both monitors connected and initialised at boot.
@wildwillow are there any fixes for this situation for both connected displays?

Use each a separate display, not mirrored.
I used separated display not mirror. The result turned out that they did not show as connected screen if I put the dvi-d display as the primary one. its the order issue.

are there any fixes for this situation for both connected displays?
If there were known fixes then the guide would be different and we'd be having a "oh it works" conversation. Intel HD530 and newer AMD cards suffer from a similar boot issue that the community hasn't figured out yet, we've fixed one step in Apple' graphics control system but there is another.
I used separated display not mirror. The result turned out that they did not show as connected screen if I put the dvi-d display as the primary one. its the order issue.
Simplest way here would be to swap over the cables from the motherboard to your monitors, if you have those inputs available to swap. It is an order issue and its differs from each manufacturer. From the IORegs I've seen the 1912000 Framebuffer attaches itself in an ordered way. generally:

DisplayPort : port0x5
HDMI : port0x6
DVI : port0x7

If a DisplayPort isn't avaiiable the HDMI port will fall on port 0x5.
My DisplayPort can't be hotplugged only the HDMI port although the connector is correct.
Have you tried turning your 2nd monitor off until you reach the desktop. This works for me so I do not have to hotplug it.

Last edited:
@wildwillow , thanks very much for assembling this guide. It helped me get 7700k HD 630 graphics working on a z170x.

I have followed your guide carefully and have dual Acer S231HL monitors working, though at first with very intermittent success. Here is what I observed, including speculation, that may help others:

Dual displays would only work sometimes, about one in ten attempts. I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. Not being very experienced with Hackintosh, I suspected that I was doing something wrong. I eventually tried hot-plugging another monitor, older non-led LCD, and it worked every time. Then I went back to the current monitor setup and started trying different scenarios, i.e. another input active then changing monitor inputs, unplugged power then hot-plug and power on, etc.

Here is my speculation: when hot-plugging the Acer S231HL monitor 'tells' OS that another display is connected and the system starts the dual displays, then the monitor disconnects and resets itself (or takes about one second to ID the input as HDMI/DVI and begin output), which of course crashes the OS. It is akin to unplugging your monitor then plugging back in which always results in a crash.

Here is my workaround: I boot to desktop with single monitor, then turn the unplugged monitor off, then on again, wait for a 'no connection' message to display then quickly hot-plug the cable. The monitor quickly puts itself to sleep after displaying no connection, so I have to be somewhat quick. This works 100% of the time. If I wait until the monitor puts itself to sleep, then hot-plug, I will get no success.

If anyone else is having this intermittent issue, or can only hot-plug in one order; i.e. DVI first or HDMI first, maybe this observation can help you.

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 8.32.08 AM.png

Last edited:
Thanks for reporting how you've managed to get dual monitors working on your system mortimersmythe. Good to know for the time being that the Skylake framebuffer and RehabMans kexts are giving you guys early access to Kaby Lake.

For the monitor that you have to quickly turn off. Leave it plugged in and leave it switched off until after POST or even past Clover then switch it on and see if you can reach the desktop with dual monitors without having to hotplug it. This method works for me using HD530, and has done for only a few but it depends on the monitor activity. Worth a shot a least.

Hi,

thank you for your workaround. It worked really well last week ago as I have done the steps you described.
Today I launched my hackintosh and it does not work any more :/
I have no idea why because I've nothing changed since last time except using another RAM. But I have already tested it and the problem seems to persist also with the old RAM where it worked 1 week ago.

I have one monitor connected via DVI and another one connected via HDMI.
Therefore I have added the kext you provided for the port changes.

When I start with the DVI monitor and hotplugging the HDMI monitor everything goes black and my computer shuts down/restarts/crashes automatically.
When I start with the HDMI monitor and hotplug the DVI monitor my MacOS Sierra starts doing crazy things like going black on both monitors for a second every few minutes, only displaying a picture on the DVI monitor or displaying screens on both monitors. This happens and changes randomly after x seconds.

I have attached my config.plist and two screenshots of the IORegistryExplorer.

Maybe someone can help me find a solution for this strange problem.

Regards
Martin

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.6 KB · Views: 405
  • Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-06 um 19.48.36.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-06 um 19.48.36.png
    176.6 KB · Views: 614
  • Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-06 um 19.51.35.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-06 um 19.51.35.png
    179.4 KB · Views: 634
@wildwillow I have tried all methods of hotplugging with no success. I am confident that there is something unique about these Acer S231HL monitors (and likely many others) that crashes the OS by toggling between input sources.

@skatemaza I experienced identical issues as you describe - it drove me crazy. If you have another monitor to test with, try using it as your hotplugged monitor. I was able to do this using an older LCD monitor and dual monitors worked 100%. My workaround was to hotplug my desired second monitor at a very specific time after powering up the monitor. You might want to try different processes with the hotplug routine - see my post for my experiences. Also maybe you remember how you made it work the first time; i.e. was the monitor powered off, or was there a secondary input on the hotplugged monitor then you changed inputs using monitor controls, etc.

I have looked at your config.plist and screenshots and they seem correct (though I am not as experienced as others here). One important thing to note is the connection type in the ioreg screens: you have not shown them. They should be <00 08 00 00> for both. I doubt you have a problem since it was working, then no changes, now it is not working - but it is easy to check.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 11.12.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 11.12.03 AM.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 473
MacOS Sierra starts doing crazy things like going black on both monitors for a second every few minutes, only displaying a picture on the DVI monitor or displaying screens on both monitors. This happens and changes randomly after x seconds.
Make sure that you are using the screens as separate display and not mirrored.

screenshots of the IORegistryExplorer.
Best to attach an copy of IOReg. As you've mentioned that both connections are showing as HDMI/DVI that part should be ok.
@wildwillow I have tried all methods of hotplugging with no success. I am confident that there is something unique about these Acer S231HL monitors (and likely many others) that crashes the OS by toggling between input sources.
Do they crash the OS when the input source is already selected for hotplug connections?

Back