Contribute
Register

[Guide] Update Sony 'S' Series to Clover & Yosemite

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jay,

In this guide, other system like Windows is installed in the 2nd driver. Currently I have MBR partitions and have OSX and Windows installed on one driver(disk0s1 is original SONY system recovery partition). Will this guide still apply to this configuration?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 6.14.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 6.14.27 PM.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 141
@Jay,

In this guide, other system like Windows is installed in the 2nd driver. Currently I have MBR partitions and have OSX and Windows installed on one driver(disk0s1 is original SONY system recovery partition). Will this guide still apply to this configuration?

@yuchen1211,

Running Windows and OSX on the same drive is not something I tend to recommend, it's like putting all your eggs in one basket .. of course many people do run their OS's this way but i like keeping OSX separate from everything else as its my main OS and can not afford to be without it.

I'm not sure how much success (if any) you'll have getting clover to run off a MBR drive in legacy mode, it should work but much of the boot process is locked out by the Sony BIOS. I initially tried to get Clover to run in Legacy mode but the laptop wound not boot due to white listed boot loaders, it's possible to work around that problem by renaming the boot files and re-locating them to the hard-coded boot path but i didn't want to go down that road.

I would do the following:-

• Buy a SSD and format it as GPT/GUID with 1 Partition - 128GB is enough for most users
  • Clone your OSX Mavericks build on to the new SSD & Install as primary drive
  • Get new SSD booting using existing Legacy boot-method (chimera or chameleon)
  • Replace internal optical drive with Caddy (they are very cheep these days)
  • Move existing HDD to Caddy, you can also get external USB enclosure for DVD/CD
  • Perform BIOS/CLOVER & Yosemite update as per new guide
  • Convert existing MBR HDD to GPT and convert windows to EFI Booting (coming soon)
This would be my suggestion as the best course for an update ..

If you don't want to go that route then you should be able to update OSX to Yosemite by using the latest versions of Unibeast, Chimera and FileNVRAM along with the latest versions of the 3rd Party kexts however you will be stuck with legacy booting and manually kext patching, moving to Clover offers much more flexibility in running OSX and being able to multi-boot other OS's via Clover/EFI which gets around the many limitations of MBR.

Cheers
Jay

@yuchen1211,

Running Windows and OSX on the same drive is not something I tend to recommend, it's like putting all your eggs in one basket .. of course many people do run their OS's this way but i like keeping OSX separate from everything else as its my main OS and can not afford to be without it.

I'm not sure how much success (if any) you'll have getting clover to run off a MBR drive in legacy mode, it should work but much of the boot process is locked out by the Sony BIOS. I initially tried to get Clover to run in Legacy mode but the laptop wound not boot due to white listed boot loaders, it's possible to work around that problem by renaming the boot files and re-locating them to the hard-coded boot path but i didn't want to go down that road.

I would do the following:-

• Buy a SSD and format it as GPT/GUID with 1 Partition - 128GB is enough for most users
  • Clone your OSX Mavericks build on to the new SSD & Install as primary drive
  • Get new SSD booting using existing Legacy boot-method (chimera or chameleon)
  • Replace internal optical drive with Caddy (they are very cheep these days)
  • Move existing HDD to Caddy, you can also get external USB enclosure for DVD/CD
  • Perform BIOS/CLOVER & Yosemite update as per new guide
  • Convert existing MBR HDD to GPT and convert windows to EFI Booting (coming soon)
This would be my suggestion as the best course for an update ..

If you don't want to go that route then you should be able to update OSX to Yosemite by using the latest versions of Unibeast, Chimera and FileNVRAM along with the latest versions of the 3rd Party kexts however you will be stuck with legacy booting and manually kext patching, moving to Clover offers much more flexibility in running OSX and being able to multi-boot other OS's via Clover/EFI which gets around the many limitations of MBR.

Cheers
Jay

@Jay,

Thanks for the suggestion. Currently I still need the DVD-ROM driver in my daily use so just can't replace it with another SSD. Also, I don't own a Windows 7 installation disc since it was pre-installed in this computer when I bought it. And the Vaio recovery utility will always partition the driver with MBR and and then install the window in 2nd partition(1st is reserved for Vaio recovery).

I'm thinking the following ways:

1.Converting the existing MBR to GPT partitions.
2.Then install the Mavericks and Clover.
3.Perform BIOS/CLOVER & Yosemite update as per new guide

I'm not sure if this will work, still need to Google more information. If it does not work, I may need to consider the legacy way.

No sound after sleep Issue

I found that my VPCSE's sound does not work after sleep, even though the audio device is detected. There are suggestions to install Realtec ALC 892 driver from Multicast 6.1 for Mavericks. Will it conflicts with Clover injected patch for AppleHDA?

Anyone has the same issue?

No sound after sleep Issue

I found that my VPCSE's sound does not work after sleep, even though the audio device is detected. There are suggestions to install Realtec ALC 892 driver from Multicast 6.1 for Mavericks. Will it conflicts with Clover injected patch for AppleHDA?

Anyone has the same issue?

@pgh550,

Are you using the modified/patched AppleHDA from my Mavericks build or the new Yosemite version which uses a Dummy HDA to carry the layout and platform info and Clover patches vanilla AppelHDA at boot time ?

Both solutions are for the ALC275 codec which is what your laptop should have, i don't think installing ALC 892 from MB will work- its a totally different chipset.

There are quite a few possible fixes for no Audio after a wake but i still use the EAPDFix kext from my Mavericks build, it works very well, is a simple solution and i like having the audio confirmation that all is well after sleep.

Cheers
Jay

how to patch connectors !
PCI ID: 1002:6841
Connector at index 0
Type [@offset 16006]: LVDS (7)
Encoder [@offset 16010]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY (0x1e)
i2cid [@offset 16080]: 0x96, OSX senseid: 0x7
Connector at index 1
Type [@offset 16016]: HDMI-A (11)
Encoder [@offset 16020]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY1 (0x20)
i2cid [@offset 16103]: 0x90, OSX senseid: 0x1
Connector at index 2
Type [@offset 16026]: VGA (1)
Encoder [@offset 16030]: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1 (0x15)
i2cid [@offset 16130]: 0x97, OSX senseid: 0x8

I don't own a Windows 7 installation disc since it was pre-installed in this computer when I bought it. And the Vaio recovery utility will always partition the driver with MBR and and then install the window in 2nd partition(1st is reserved for Vaio recovery).

@yuchen1211,

I too still use the factory installed Windows 7 x64, however i cloned the base build from the laptops HDD to a Acronis backup file on an external USB drive.

After which I removed all of the other partitions (MBR, SYSTEM, RECOVERY .. etc) that Sony installed and just keep the Working Windows partition. The HDD can then be converted to GPT and a EFI Partition created. I then resized my windows partition and moved it to be directly after the EFI/SYSTEM partition.

I will be explaining how to do all of this in more detail once i get time to finish the last step of the guide. I too still use the CD/DVD but have moved it into a an external USB Caddy like this :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351156650380

Having a SSD for OSX and a separate high capacity SSHDD (Hybrid Drive) for data and Windows/Linix .. etc is much more important for me.

It should be possible to have OSX, Windows Linux and Data all on the same GPT drive and boot everything via EFI & Clover but i don't like putting all of my eggs in one basket. I'm currently working on Version 2.0 of the iMessage guide but hope to find time to finish the last step of this guide soon.

Cheers
Jay

There are quite a few possible fixes for no Audio after a wake but i still use the EAPDFix kext from my Mavericks build, it works very well, is a simple solution and i like having the audio confirmation that all is well after sleep.

Hi, Jay, thanks much for the tip. I did not install EAPDFix kext. It works fine now after the kext is installed.

After careful comparisons between the DSDT’s for my VPCSC and VPCSE, I finally come up with a patch for native VPCSE DSDT which has almost everything working. The only issue is after a boot without kext cache, the camera and/or the bluetooth may not work. Another code reboot with the kext cache would have both camera and bluetooth work. The patches applied are:

From the standard repo

• “Insert DTGP”
    “Replace Names”

From Rehahman’s repo

• "Fix TNOT Error”
    "Fix _PLD Buffer/Package Error”
    "Rename GFX0 to IGPU”
    “Rename VID/ADP1 to IGPU”
    "HD3000 High Resolution”
    ”Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)” seems make screen brighter.
    "6-series USB”
    “Battery Sony VAIO S”
    “AC Adpter Fix”
    “Add IMEI”
    “Add MCHC”
    ”Fix _WAK Arg0 v1”
    ”Fix _WAK Arg0 v2”
    "HPET Fix”
    "IRQ Fix"
    "OS Check Fix"
    “RTC Fix”
    “Shutdown Fix
    "SMBUS Fix"

At this stage there may be still leftovers need to rename to IGPU. I recommend to compile the patched DSDT at this point. In my case there were 3 complaints in DSDT/_SB.PCI0/IGPU/GNOT and DSDT/_SB.PCI0.LPCB/SNC/F135, change IGFX to IGPU and WLAN.VID to WLAN.IGPU, respectively.

From Jays' Sony S repo

• "EDID data for 1920x1080”
    “Fix Device PS2M"
    “Fix Device HDEF"
    “Fix Raid AHCI”
    “Disable_AMD_GPU”

I could not apply the “Disable_AMD_GPU” patch fully, probably device name_adr 0x00010000 and 0x00020000 were not the same on my laptop, therefore needs manually edit the DSDT at the following places:

In Method DSDT->_WAK add at the beginning of the method:
Code:
    POFF ()
    \_SB.PCI0.IGPU.DD02._BCM (BRTL)
and before Return (Package (0x02) at the end (just above Method DSDT->GETB) add:
Code:
    Notify (\_SB.PCI0.HDEF, 0x02)

In Method DSDT/_SB.PCI0/IGPU/_INI ( ) add at the beginning of the method:
Code:
    POFF ()

In Method DSDT/_SB.PCI0/IGPU/DD02/_BCM ( ), add as the last line in the method:
Code:
    Return (Zero)

In Device DSDT/_SB.PCI0/PEG0, after name _PRW and before name PR01, add:
Code:
    OperationRegion (RPCI, PCI_Config, Zero, 0xF0)
    Field (RPCI, DWordAcc, Lock, Preserve)
    {
                  Offset (0xB0),
          ASPM,   2,
              ,   2,
          LNKD, 1
    }

OperationRegion (RPCX, SystemMemory, XBAS, 0x8400)
    Field (RPCX, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
    {
              Offset (0x8214),
              Offset (0x8216),
          LNKS, 4
    }

In Device DSDT/_SB.PCI0/PEG0/PEGP, after name _PRW and before the end of the device definition, add:
Code:
    Name (ELCT, Zero)
    Name (HVID, Zero)
    Name (HDID, Zero)
    OperationRegion (PCIS, PCI_Config, Zero, 0x0100)
    Field (PCIS, DWordAcc, Lock, Preserve)
    {
        DVID, 16,
              Offset (0x2C),
        SVID, 16,
        SDID, 16,
              Offset (0x4C),
        WVID, 16,
        WDID, 16
    }

Name (B0D1, Zero)
    OperationRegion (PCAP, SystemMemory, Or (PEBS, 0x8000, B0D1), 0xC0)
    Field (PCAP, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
    {
              Offset (0xB0),
        LCTL, 16
    }

OperationRegion (GPIO, SystemIO, 0x0500, 0x60)
    Field (GPIO, ByteAcc, Lock, Preserve)
    {
              Offset (0x0C),
            , 17,
        PO17, 1,
              Offset (0x38),
            , 3,
        PO35, 1
    }

Method (PWRE, 0, Serialized)
    {
        Store (Zero, PO17)
        Store (One, PO35)
        Sleep (0x96)
        Store (One, PO17)
        Sleep (0x64)
    }

Method (PWRD, 0, Serialized)
    {
        Store (Zero, PO17)
        Store (Zero, PO35)
    }

Method (_ON, 0, Serialized)
    {
        PWRE ()
        Store (Zero, LNKD)
        While (LLess (LNKS, 0x07))
        {
            Sleep (One)
        }

Store (HVID, WVID)
        Store (HDID, WDID)
        Or (And (ELCT, 0x43), And (LCTL, 0xFFBC), LCTL)
        Notify (PEG0, Zero)
    }

Method (_OFF, 0, Serialized)
    {
        Store (LCTL, ELCT)
        Store (SVID, HVID)
        Store (SDID, HDID)
        Store (One, LNKD)
        While (LLess (LNKS, Zero))
        {
             Sleep (One)
        }

PWRD ()
        Notify (PEG0, Zero)
    }

I attached my patched DSDT as a reference to find these manually edited parts. It is better to copy and paste from the attached DSDT file as some typos may be introduced when formatting the code. Maybe Jay can take a look and to see if "Disable AMD" patch can be extended to apply to machines like mine.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    35.5 KB · Views: 125
Hi, Jay, thanks much for the tip. I did not install EAPDFix kext. It works fine now after the kext is installed.

@pgh550,

No problem, glad your up and running ...

After careful comparisons between the DSDT’s for my VPCSC and VPCSE, I finally come up with a patch for native VPCSE DSDT which has almost everything working. The only issue is after a boot without kext cache, the camera and/or the bluetooth may not work. Another code reboot with the kext cache would have both camera and bluetooth work.

I attached my patched DSDT as a reference to find these manually edited parts. It is better to copy and paste from the attached DSDT file as some typos may be introduced when formatting the code. Maybe Jay can take a look and to see if "Disable AMD" patch can be extended to apply to machines like mine.

Nice work with the DSDT patching, i't been so long since i wrote those patches in my repo, i can't remember what the status of them is, i think the disable ATI code may be incomplete ..... since you've figured out what needs to be done to make it work it would be great if you could add the additional to the patch, if you want you could make a fork of my repo and add the remaining patch code ?

We could then incorporate the DSDT patch procedure in to the guide(s) ... it's something i've been meaning to do for a long time but have got so much on it's difficult to find the time .... so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Let me know what you think
Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back