Contribute
Register

[Guide] Update Sony 'S' Series to Clover & Yosemite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @RehabMan, @Jay
I spent lots of time to solve this issue. Finally, I tried to change my mac version from 8.3 to Macbook Pro 8.1, and this solved my problem. So, I'm not sure why but it did solve my problem. To the person who had same problem, you can try my method.

@rchen29,

Well done in finding a solution, although i'm at a loss as to explain why changing from 8.3 to 8.1 has solved your issue. AFAIK the only real difference between 8.1 & 8.3 is the screen size which should not effect OSX behaviour too much. However everyday is school day in the hackingtosh world ....

I assume that 8.3 was working for you with the Mavericks build ?

Very odd indeed ...

Cheers
Jay

Jay can u help me with dumping VBios ROM !

@siddsimac,

You can only use the embedded Intel GPU with OSX ... so not quite sure why you would ant to dump the AMD/ATI Vbios - Sony implement their own bespoke GPU switching method which is incompatible with OSX.

Cheers
Jay

[
What Bt firmware version do you have ?, i'm running v14 c5575 i had issues with any other version.

Hi, Jay, my laptop had the same version as yours.

The most noticeable thing in my VPCSC's patched DSDT is to call POFF method, which I patched into the VPCSE DSDT but still could not make it wake from sleep.

Currently I am using the patched VPCSC DSDT which can always wake from sleep. BT and camera works most of the time. When it does not work a SMC reset most likely would resolve it. I took this hint from Microsoft KB about when BT driver runs into "Pipe has installed" error. With the patched SE DSDT BT works all the time and camera most of the time. BrcmPatchRAM definitely seems work better on my VPCSE with both kexts

The most noticeable thing in my VPCSC's patched DSDT is to call POFF method, which I patched into the VPCSE DSDT but still could not make it wake from sleep.

Currently I am using the patched VPCSC DSDT which can always wake from sleep. BT and camera works most of the time. When it does not work a SMC reset most likely would resolve it. I took this hint from Microsoft KB about when BT driver runs into "Pipe has installed" error. With the patched SE DSDT BT works all the time and camera most of the time. BrcmPatchRAM definitely seems work better on my VPCSE with both kexts

@pgh550,

Very strange ..... my system sleeps and wakes perfect with 802.11AC WiFi and BT4 all working, can go for weeks without having to reboot / shutdown .... however the camera has never worked and is never seen on the USB bus ....

Camera works fine in Windows 7 & Ubuntu 14.1 (both 64bit EFI booted)

Under windows what is the camera hardware you have (reported by Device Manager)

Cheers
Jay

@siddsimac,

Not sure I understand ... the link you posted is for a BIOS backup tool ?

If that one does not work you could try the BIOS backup utility (with included script) in the 'Sony BIOS Tools' attachment on the 1st post of the guide ...

Cheers
Jay
I finally managed to dump Bios using Intel Flash Tool
But m unable to open the file !
i used this cmd
FPTW64.EXE -BIOS -D BACKUP.ROM
Can u extract VBios init !

n ur tool didn't work for me :(

n i got this file.

@pgh550,

I've looked into the web camera not working issue a little bit more ...

The camera is now being detected as a unknown USB device in windows 7 .... but it was working in Windows 8.1 .. If you google 'Sony Vaio SE webcam not working' it seems i'm not alone

From what i understand, the problem occurs after a Sony Care software (maybe camera firmware ?) update after which it seems that the camera will only work in Windows 8.1.

i will restore my windows 8.1 system at some point and let you know what happens.
But it is a common issue ... with no real definitive answer (that i can find)

Cheers
Jay

Under windows what is the camera hardware you have (reported by Device Manager)

Hi, Jay, attached please find the screen captures of the camera information. I almost never use windows nowadays so I installed a Win10 technical preview and capture the camera information.

Attachments

• sysinfo_camera.png
    sysinfo_camera.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 131
  • camera0.PNG
    camera0.PNG
    41.5 KB · Views: 152
  • camera3.PNG
    camera3.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 194
Hi, Jay, attached please find the screen captures of the camera information. I almost never use windows nowadays so I installed a Win10 technical preview and capture the camera information.

@pgh550,

Thanks for posting the info, that looks very similar to what my system used to report under windows 8.1.

Unfortunately i use Solidworks for CAD & Machining work which unfortunately only runs under Windows .. if only they would release a OS X Version ... :yawn:

I got quite a lot on again this week but will try and find time to dig a little deeper ...

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back