Contribute
Register

Guide: Update OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite Using UniBeast and MultiBeast

if you're having the crossed-out-circle-on-grey-screen error on a GA Z87N-wifi or similar board definitely delete 3rd party sata kext (as well as the things mentioned in the first post in this thread)

Everything running smoothly except bluetooth!

Could you clarify how to delete the 3rd party kext? And is bluetooth not working as a result of this?

Save all of your settings, files, apps, etc... by following this simple guide to upgrade OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite.

1. Boot OS X Mavericks
2. Remove /Extra/modules/FileNVRAM.dylib if present
3. Remove /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext if present
4. Edit /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist to remove the following 2 lines if present:

View attachment 107204

5. Create a bootable USB using UniBeast 5
6. Boot from USB and install OS X Yosemite over your existing Mavericks installation
7. Reboot from the USB and choose your existing drive
8. Run MultiBeast 7 and select the following options, and any system-specific Audio and Network drivers.
View attachment 107208
9. Reboot from drive into OS X Yosemite.

Related:
OS X Yosemite is Now Available on the Mac App Store
MultiBeast 7.0 Update

UniBeast 5.0 Update
Chimera 4.0 Update

If you follow this guide, will iMessage work?
That's all that I haven't got working right now.

Thanks!
Len

Install (as Upgrade from Mavericks) worked fine... now having issues with both USB3 and iPhoto update. Any help on either would be appreciated.

USB 3.0

I have a PCIE card with a UDPD720200 chipset. I used the GenericUSBxHC.kext from multibeast, and took the advice in this thread and also updated appleUSBxhci within usbfamily. Still no luck on any functioning USB 3.0. System profiler shows USB 3.0 Superspeed bus with the driver genericusbxhci device id 0194 (which is correct for me), but no go on any USB 3.0 Devices.

iPhoto

Iphoto required an update to the latest version (9.6) and using the app store produces the following error:
Update Unavailable with This Apple ID
What is causing this error ? Do i need a different fakesmc/ or should I try to use Clover as a boot loader?

Any general info about either of these would be much appreciated. In general, great job tonymac community. I owe everyone for all their hard work!

Edit:The fix to the missing kernel is already listed in the guide above.
If you don't mind me asking, where is the fix in the guide above? I am getting the same error as the previous users had - "Can't find /mach_kernel"

Hey Tony, thanks for all the work as always. I opted to do a fresh reinstall instead thinking that I would just restore my apps from my Time Machine backup as I did for Mountain Lion and Mavericks. But this time, Yosemite won't recognize my internal PATA drive. I'm guessing that Apple dropped support for PATA drives in 10.10? Is there any way to re-enable PATA support? My OS X drive is 500 GB and my biggest other drive is only half and PATA so I can't just use a SATA. I'm going to try to create a Mavericks USB with UniBeast and boot from that and then restore my backup. But that is only temporary. Is there any way to have long-tem PATA support? Perhaps a kext I should look for? Does anyone know? Thanks guys.:thumbup:

works great
the only issue with me was the drive i have been using has been updated so many times that
on this install it was unstable on my main drive,so i did a clean install on a spare backup then copied data and apps over. once everything stable i cloned(cc cloner) onto my main drive(essentially an upgrade).
whats cool is cc cloner has an option to just overwrite older files...
this issue is why i ALLWAYS Backup before installing...
and the build being a asus sabertooth x58 just made it more difficult.
audio had to be installed with multibeast 6.1.0(alc892),,odd the mb7 one doesn't work(for me)

Updated to Yosemite from 10.9.5 on my B75M-D3P. Followed guide in post#1, only one small glitch - reboot after Yosemite install froze, restart and verbose boot got me to Yosemite. App Store, iCloud Drive, USB 3 and 2 all working - don't use messaging. Replaced AppleHDA.kext with one from 10.8.4 to prevent losing sound after sleep. Thanks tonymac!

Anyone try this on a laptop yet?

does ur hackintosh hangs on (still waiting for root device when you boot with -v mode)

REMOVE generic USB kext work fine for me
Thanks
Best Regards

Thank you for this comment. Tony does say this in his instructions,
3. Remove /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext if present

but after installing Yosemite it appears again. My USB ports were so flaky I almost gave up on the whole thing. After booting I had to try all USB ports for the mouse and keyboard to work. So, I got rid of it again, and my mouse "lights up" in any USB port, USB2 included. Very grateful, thank you.

Back