Contribute
Register

Guide to Installing Mavericks on HP Probook

Hello, This is my first post and my first time attempting to use anything but a windows PC so hopefully you can help me here. I had no success with installing using unibeast. I had to dump the install.esd for mavericks to an actual usb hard drive using terminal commands. Using clover with uefi enabled got me installed and I have done a few things thus far. After running Probook installer I still have no native wifi, I have no sound, and I have no battery stats. Ethernet works and I managed to install an asus usb wifi. I am using a 4440s ProBook with an i3. My problem outside of not completely understanding the OS is that after installing bootloader with probook installer, I was unable to boot. I could however go into boot menu from startup and load into the OS with the clover that was installed on my usb. No other boot method seems to work. Also If you could point me in the right direction to getting sound on the device that would be wonderful as I am in school and need the sound for video lectures. At this point I am pretty much clueless as to what is wrong but if you could give me some assistance I would be eternally grateful!!!

Hello, This is my first post and my first time attempting to use anything but a windows PC so hopefully you can help me here. I had no success with installing using unibeast.

Did you try with dart=0? And you may need to update the VoodooPS2 kext on Unibeast (it is using an old version).

If your difficulty was getting Unibeast to create a USB installer, refer to the sticky posts: http://www.tonymacx86.com/unibeast/

I had to dump the install.esd for mavericks to an actual usb hard drive using terminal commands.

Not supported here.

Using clover with uefi enabled got me installed and I have done a few things thus far.

Fro Clover guide, see: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112383-guide-install-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html

After running Probook installer I still have no native wifi, I have no sound, and I have no battery stats. Ethernet works and I managed to install an asus usb wifi. I am using a 4440s ProBook with an i3. My problem outside of not completely understanding the OS is that after installing bootloader with probook installer, I was unable to boot. I could however go into boot menu from startup and load into the OS with the clover that was installed on my usb. No other boot method seems to work. Also If you could point me in the right direction to getting sound on the device that would be wonderful as I am in school and need the sound for video lectures. At this point I am pretty much clueless as to what is wrong but if you could give me some assistance I would be eternally grateful!!!

There are excellent guides here that work, but only if you follow them. If you choose to ignore them as you have so far, you'll run into many issues and have to re-invent/re-discover many solutions already provided.

I think the problem that I was having was the actual macbook that I had access to had usb problems and was not working well with the pen drive I had. I appreciate your bit of guidance here as I have been piecing together 3 different guides that I had used in order to actually get a fully bootable OSX Mavericks on my ProBook, as I think my main issue was actually building an install using Unibeast with your guide here, which the guide is great, and gave me a lot of insight to what was working or not. From this point, being that I have working OSX now on my ProBook, do you think I should try to rebuild my install from here and try over using Unibeast instead of using the clover method? (can that even be done???) I have to admit I have been completely anti-apple for as long as I can remember. But after setting up a Hackintosh, I am really liking the way this OS handles. Again thanks and you have really been a great help.

I think the problem that I was having was the actual macbook that I had access to had usb problems and was not working well with the pen drive I had. I appreciate your bit of guidance here as I have been piecing together 3 different guides that I had used in order to actually get a fully bootable OSX Mavericks on my ProBook, as I think my main issue was actually building an install using Unibeast with your guide here, which the guide is great, and gave me a lot of insight to what was working or not. From this point, being that I have working OSX now on my ProBook, do you think I should try to rebuild my install from here and try over using Unibeast instead of using the clover method? (can that even be done???) I have to admit I have been completely anti-apple for as long as I can remember. But after setting up a Hackintosh, I am really liking the way this OS handles. Again thanks and you have really been a great help.

There is no reason for "piecing together 3 different guides." There are two guides here. One using Unibeast/Chameleon. And a second using Clover. Just pick one and stick with it.

Personally, I prefer the Clover method. There are quite a few advantages to Clover over Chameleon.

I've 4730s and I've succesfully installed Mavericks with this guide :headbang: but I'm experiencing graphical glitches.
I've tried to read the related section but the images related to SwitchResX are no more present (page not found).
Could you help me please?

I've 4730s and I've succesfully installed Mavericks with this guide :headbang: but I'm experiencing graphical glitches.
I've tried to read the related section but the images related to SwitchResX are no more present (page not found).
Could you help me please?

Try EC reset.

Try EC reset.
Wow man, it seems the EC reset did the trick! :thumbup:

I've lost my dock but the graphic seems to work pretty well!

Edit: enabled/disabled the automatic dock-hide and it re-appears!

I love you man :D:D

Just to try to tune-in the installation, is it possible to make the keyboard fully functional?
In this moment I'm not able to type the "at" (I need to use the Alt Gr key) and I'm not able to use the "Win" key as the "Cmd" key.
My keyboard has the italian layout.
Is there a way to achieve this?

Back