Contribute
Register

Guide to Installing Mavericks on HP Probook

cannot get into Installer.
after the Spinning Wheel there is the black Screen and nothing happens, waited for 20 minutes.
tried several bootflags, other ports, other sticks, other ssdt, but nothing works:banghead:

Did you copy the MiniSSDT-DualLink.aml to /Extra/ssdt.aml on your USB?

Thanks a lot. Subject - HP DV7 6053-er Core i 7, 8 GB RAM, Intel3000. The first attempt was not successful. The installation hanged. Then I carefully read the instruction and that guided me to the right direction. I placed my current DSDT.aml from M.Lion into /Extra on the flashdrive. The install screen was reached finally. After that everything was casual. Many many thanks go to RehabMan.

Just curious since the ProBook Installer is not really for your DV7... What model did you choose in 'OS X Support kexts"? And DSDT patches?

i just finished installing Mavericks on my HP 4530s with an i7-2670QM processor. Other than having to remove and reinstall VirtualBox 4.3 to get my Win7 VM to work properly, the upgrade went smoothly. The only "anomaly" I see right now is that the lowest power state of my processor is now 11x instead of the normal 8x. Anybody have any ideas why this may be occurring? Otherwise, the CPU seems to be cycling normally through various p-states deep depending on load. FWIW, I see this behavior whether I use the new SSDT generated by Probook Installer after Mavericks installation, or the SSDT I generated under Mountain Lion.

Thanks,
-bth

It is not real. Monitor your states with DPCIManager and you'll see. There is some kind of issue with HwMonitor under Mavs...

It is not real. Monitor your states with DPCIManager and you'll see. There is some kind of issue with HwMonitor under Mavs...

You are indeed correct RehabMan. I am seeing the 8 p-state with DCPIManager.

Thanks!
-bth

I tried and believe I followed the "upgrading from 10.8.x" directions. I went from Lion 10.7.5 directly to Mavericks. The installation of Mavericks went well, but I have been left without working WiFi.

In deference to RehabMan's request to NOT post problems on this thread, I am about to start a new thread for my issue.

In terms of the upgrade installation, the only issue I ran into was that an external keyboard and mouse were necessary at the start of the Mavericks installation.

While I did tick "Laptop Support" when using the Unibeast 3.0.0 to create the USB installer, I still could not use my ProBook's keyboard or trackpad during the installation.

Please NoteUpgrading from 10.8.x to 10.9.x

If your OS X install uses a relatively recent version of the ProBook Installer (v6.1 or newer), then it is probably safe to upgrade directly from 10.8.5 to 10.9. You should always create a backup before attempting an upgrade on major version upgrades such as 10.8.x to 10.9.x just in case something goes wrong and you aren't able to recover.

1. If you use the 'blinkscreen' workaround for screen brightness, use the latest ProBook Installer, prior to beginning the update process to update blinkscreen to the current version. This insures you have a blinkscreen compatible with Mavericks.

2. First download Mavericks and create your Unibeast USB and launch the Mavericks installer according to the Installation section above (steps 1 through 8).

3. Since you'll be installing to an existing partition and upgrading it, do not use Disk Utility to erase your partition. Instead, select your existing partition to install Mavericks to and complete the Mavericks installation.

4. After Mavericks installs, it will restart your computer. After it restarts, you will need to once again hit Esc then F9. Then select the USB hard drive again. This time, select the partition you just installed Mavericks on, type "-f" then press enter.

5. After reaching the desktop, run the ProBook Installer, and select the "OS X support kexts" appropriate for your laptop, and the AHCI patch, if you need it. Also, if you have not used the ProBook Installer DSDT patches in a while, and you use the Atheros AR9285 for WiFi, select only the "Atheros 9285 patch" from "DSDT generator/patcher -> Optional patches." In addition, if you have not upgraded your bootloader in a while, now is a good time to upgrade to the latest Chameleon via the ProBook Installer, because otherwise you may not have a bootloader compatible with Mavericks.

6. Click continue to install your ProBook Installer choices, allow it to complete, then restart the computer.

7. If you have an SSD (Solid State Drive) and wish to enable TRIM, run Trim Enabler to turn on TRIM (it patches IOAHCIBlockStorage). Repair permissions & rebuild cache, then reboot.

So in reading this would 10.8.4 to 10.9 be an issue? I never went to .5on my DeskHack as the .4 combo installer failed.

So in reading this would 10.8.4 to 10.9 be an issue? I never went to .5on my DeskHack as the .4 combo installer failed.

This guide is for the ProBook.

If you had an issue with a previous "combo" installer it is likely because of a bad set of kexts and therefore a kextcache failure in rebuilding kernel cache. Best in that case to run DPCIManager, rebuild cache, and pay attention to any errors... follow up by fixing them by installing kexts which are compatible with each other (kextcache errors are common when you have excessive rollbacks... that is... mismatches of system kexts from different version of OS X).

Back