Contribute
Register

Guide To Install Yosemite on HP Laptops with Clover UEFI

Pretty big difference. Running the USB3 ports with AppleUSBXHCI.kext is a big plus as far as USB3 goes...
I think I will stick with MacBookPro8,1 definitions and use AppleUSBXHCI.kext. I just need the USB ports to work. Modifying that "IOPlatformPluginFamily" file just makes future updates more difficult.

Thank you. Changing the USB port helped to go further. But, maybe I'm unlucky, I still have problems. This time it is blank screen with mouse on it. Have you any idea what is wrong? Thank you in advance.

No idea without hardware details...

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

I think I will stick with MacBookPro8,1 definitions and use AppleUSBXHCI.kext. I just need the USB ports to work. Modifying that "IOPlatformPluginFamily" file just makes future updates more difficult.

You missed my point (I think). Isn't the issue that you can't use AppleUSBXHCI.kext with MacBookPro8,1? You will need to use GenericUSBXHCI.kext instead. Using MacBookPro9,x is what makes the USB3 ports work with AppleUSBXHCI.kext.

You missed my point (I think). Isn't the issue that you can't use AppleUSBXHCI.kext with MacBookPro8,1? You will need to use GenericUSBXHCI.kext instead. Using MacBookPro9,x is what makes the USB3 ports work with AppleUSBXHCI.kext.
I can use GenericUSBXHCI.kext with MacBookPro8,1. The USB ports work well. Without GenericUSBXHCI.kext no USB with MacBookPro8,1.

You're right. With MacBookPro9,x I don't need the AppleUSBXHCI.kext.

I can use GenericUSBXHCI.kext with MacBookPro8,1. The USB ports work well.
You're right. With MacBookPro9,x I don't need the AppleUSBXHCI.kext.

It is a disadvantage. AppleUSBXHCI.kext is considered more stable than GenericUSBXHCI.kext.

And I think you mean "With MacBookPro9,x I don't need the GenericUSBXHCI.kext."

I have used GenericUSBXHCI.kext for about a year and never had issues, but truth be told I haven't used many USB3 devices. But what can I do now, other than changing my CPU? What do you recommend? Should I use MacBookPro9,x then add that plist file to make speedstep work? Then I update that kext at each update. Anyway you helped me a lot. Thanks!

I found this on the forum:

In all OS X systems up to and including Sandy Bridge, native power management was enabled by ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext, a plugin in IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext. For Ivy Bridge processors, native power management is enabled with the X86PlatformPlugin.kext. HD3000 processors on a 7 Series motherboard should not use Ivy Bridge power management.

I have used GenericUSBXHCI.kext for about a year and never had issues, but truth be told I haven't used many USB3 devices.

Yosemite is a different situation. Zenth432 has all but stopped development on GenericUSBXHCI.kext. That kext needs constant updates for each OS X release because it uses undocumented internal structures only meant to be used by the developers at Apple. We may have to look for a different/better solution. For my hacks, I'll be looking at using AppleUSBXHCI.kext (can already do that on the ProBook), but my U430 requires work.

But what can I do now, other than changing my CPU? What do you recommend? Should I use MacBookPro9,x then add that plist file to make speedstep work? Then I update that kext at each update.

I would try the MacBookPro9,x for a while and see how it goes. It is likely that after an update, your added MacBookoPro9,x plist will be preserved. So it is only an issue for you with fresh installs. If you really want to get fancy, you can probably do something similar as we do for AppleHDA.

In this scenario, you are not using Ivy PM (not injecting plugin-type=1). You're using Sandy PM with a MacBookPro9,x smbios.

I have a followed this guide and up until after step 5 and before step 6, when it loads the apple logo and the black boot screen and the loading bar, it loads at a normal speed from 0-33% but from 33% it loads REALLY slowly, like it takes an hour to 50%, it's still going but surely it doesn't take this long? I mean the flash drive I'm using is not slow, I used another version of clover beforehand, probably older and it loaded the mavericks os installer quickly. Any idea what may be causing this?

Further to this though I do have installation problems after following the guide. The good news is USB, Sound, brightness works.

The major bad news is The installation will not boot without using usb, and going through EFI/CLOVER/EFI/BOOT/BOOT.....

If I don't do this, I get a screen that whites out till 2 black lines are visible. Can anybody help with this?[/QUOTE]

Ok so I have solved this. here is how

First of all, I used Carbon Copy Cloner CCC to bring across all my user profiles etc.
After I did this, I noticed the sound and USB3 were not working however I had messages/facetime and other things working
So I used The HP installer for post installer as per steps in guide
Now I can boot straight through without using the USB stick. Its only worked once, but hopefully will work again.
Gonna now use the Kext wizard to repair the Kexts

Hope this helps other people with similar problems.

Back