Contribute
Register

Guide To Install Yosemite on HP Laptops with Clover UEFI

FYI: I think this is also a fix for having to rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

I haven't tested it, but my theory is... If you put Windows bootloader files on its own partition, separate from the EFI partition, when Windows updates kick in, they'll update the EFI/Microsoft on that partition and not the real EFI partition (which would contain only Clover files).

Two side effects:
- no need to rename bootmgfw-efi => bootmgfw-orig.efi
- and no worries about Windows updates causing BIOS to boot directly to Windows instead of Clover

I can confirm that this is correct because after installing OSX, I installed Windows 8 (using UEFI) then Windows 10 (through efi) this process did not mess up Clover Bootloader so I didn't have to rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

EDIT: Oh! i don't think someone like me is totally free from future mess up because the second Windows installed the boot entries in the Real EFI. Microsoft folder is still sharing partition with Clover files.

So, If I create another small FAT32 partition and move the Microsoft folder for Windows 10 to it, I'll still be alright? I guess.

EDIT: Oh! i don't think someone like me is totally free from future mess up because the second Windows installed the boot entries in the Real EFI. Microsoft folder is still sharing partition with Clover files.

So, If I create another small FAT32 partition and move the Microsoft folder for Windows 10 to it, I'll still be alright? I guess.

Correct. I think even those that do not have dual Windows installations can benefit by moving the EFI boot data for Windows to a separate partition.

Correct. I think even those that do not have dual Windows installations can benefit by moving the EFI boot data for Windows to a separate partition.

Note: It is also possible that certain Windows updates will not be able to be completed because of the weird EFI configuration.

Note: It is also possible that certain Windows updates will not be able to be completed because of the weird EFI configuration.
Hmmmm... I hope it won't be a significant one. I'll launch Windows Update and see the behaviour.

Sir, thank you, for the heads up.

Hmmmm... I hope it won't be a significant one. I'll launch Windows Update and see the behaviour.

Sir, thank you, for the heads up.

A good test would be to see if you can successfully upgrade an existing Win81 install to Win10...

My Win81 install is kind of borked lately, so I may re-install at some point. If I do, I think we'll find out about the true nature of this. But I think I'm going to let it limp along for a while.

A good test would be to see if you can successfully upgrade an existing Win81 install to Win10...

My Win81 install is kind of borked lately, so I may re-install at some point. If I do, I think we'll find out about the true nature of this. But I think I'm going to let it limp along for a while.
Lol. Ok, sir. Will be waiting...

My Win81 install is kind of borked lately, so I may re-install at some point...

I had the same problem, just reinstall Windows 10 months ago after Windows 8.1 became a mess for unknown reasons (typical of Windows).

I had the same problem, just reinstall Windows 10 months ago after Windows 8.1 became a mess for unknown reasons (typical of Windows).

This is a pretty old install of Win8.1. It started out life as Win7 (pre-sp1) and has survived an update to Win8, Win8.1, and now a migration from legacy boot to UEFI.

The problem is certain Windows updates are not applying, and I don't think it is UEFI configuration issues... Most likely corrupt Windows Update database... Debating as to whether I should wait to fix it for Win10 to be released or re-install Win81... I'm not into running beta OS for real work, so...

If I'm never going to have more than 2 partitions (3 including hidden EFI)... can I just go with Win 7 legacy install? Im not seeing any advantage to windows uefi install for me. So in the guide I would just make a FAT32 partition when booting into OS X installer and reboot to boot/install Windows from usb as regular right?

If I'm never going to have more than 2 partitions (3 including hidden EFI)... can I just go with Win 7 legacy install? Im not seeing any advantage to windows uefi install for me. So in the guide I would just make a FAT32 partition when booting into OS X installer and reboot to boot/install Windows from usb as regular right?

Yes. You'll have to enable legacy (for Windows boot) from Clover config.plist, of course.

Back