Contribute
Register

Guide To Install Mavericks with Clover Bootloader

I can't seem to get USB 3.0 (usb2 works fine) working on my hp 8460p. At first I didn't install the intel usb 3.0 patch. USB 3.0 didn't work. I reran the PBI checking the intel usb 3.0 patch, and usb3.0 didn't work. I downloaded GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.7 and install using kextbeast, and usb3.0 still doesn't work.

Intel USB 3.0 patch is only for 7-series laptops, it won't work on 8460p. You may consider removing that dsdt, reboot then run PBI again. Then, check if GenericUSBXHCI is in S/L/E.

So everything seems to work smooth and fine though I ran into a strange problem today that I have never encountered before on any of my hacks.

After putting my 4330S to sleep it power ran out - battery must have been pretty drained. So basically I had to plug in the cord and start it from a cold boot. What happened was, it displayed the grey apple logo and instead of the spinning wheel I had a sort of a progress bar at the bottom. After it reached "full" the laptop rebooted itself and the situation repeated over and over again in a sort of reboot loop.

Next thing I booted with my usb stick with clover and selected to recover my hack. After verifying permissions on the system drive i rebooted and everything went fine - meaning it booted as usual.

I don't dual boot - I have only OSX installed
I'm using clover as per the guide.
I'm using fastboot option - I never see clovers menu to choose which disk to boot.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before? Is it somehow connected with the "sleep fix" that one has to check in the ProBook Installer? Can it be prevented in the future?

So everything seems to work smooth and fine though I ran into a strange problem today that I have never encountered before on any of my hacks.

After putting my 4330S to sleep it power ran out - battery must have been pretty drained. So basically I had to plug in the cord and start it from a cold boot. What happened was, it displayed the grey apple logo and instead of the spinning wheel I had a sort of a progress bar at the bottom. After it reached "full" the laptop rebooted itself and the situation repeated over and over again in a sort of reboot loop.

Next thing I booted with my usb stick with clover and selected to recover my hack. After verifying permissions on the system drive i rebooted and everything went fine - meaning it booted as usual.

I don't dual boot - I have only OSX installed
I'm using clover as per the guide.
I'm using fastboot option - I never see clovers menu to choose which disk to boot.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before? Is it somehow connected with the "sleep fix" that one has to check in the ProBook Installer? Can it be prevented in the future?

You need to disable hibernate. Use "Sleep Image Fix" in the ProBook Installer.

You need to disable hibernate. Use "Sleep Image Fix" in the ProBook Installer.

It seems that first time I ran the Installer I clicked the whole "Sleep fix" directory which highlighted the second option by default. Reran the installer specifying the correct one and it's working flawlessly now. Thanks.

Intel USB 3.0 patch is only for 7-series laptops, it won't work on 8460p. You may consider removing that dsdt, reboot then run PBI again. Then, check if GenericUSBXHCI is in S/L/E.

I ended up redoing my whole install from the beginning. Followed it exactly (did not check intelusb3).

I checked and the Generic USBXHCI is in S/L/E
Samanthas-MacBook-Pro:Extensions samanthapeterson$ ls -l GenericUSBXHCI.kext
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Dec 25 07:57 Contents
Samanthas-MacBook-Pro:Extensions samanthapeterson$

But my two USB3.0 ports still don't work. I even made sure its not the thumbdrive. I can plug a usb 2 or 3 (i checked both types) thumb drive on the right side usb2 ports but if i plug that thumb drive in on the left side the light on the drive comes on for a split second then goes out, and nothing happens. My drive isn't recognized.

FYI: I just bought this laptop and immediately installed osx, so I never actually knew if the USB3.0 ports were working. I am going to make an Ubuntu boot drive and test if they do under linux.

I ended up redoing my whole install from the beginning. Followed it exactly (did not check intelusb3).

I checked and the Generic USBXHCI is in S/L/E
Samanthas-MacBook-Pro:Extensions samanthapeterson$ ls -l GenericUSBXHCI.kext
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Dec 25 07:57 Contents
Samanthas-MacBook-Pro:Extensions samanthapeterson$

But my two USB3.0 ports still don't work. I even made sure its not the thumbdrive. I can plug a usb 2 or 3 (i checked both types) thumb drive on the right side usb2 ports but if i plug that thumb drive in on the left side the light on the drive comes on for a split second then goes out, and nothing happens. My drive isn't recognized.

FYI: I just bought this laptop and immediately installed osx, so I never actually knew if the USB3.0 ports were working. I am going to make an Ubuntu boot drive and test if they do under linux.

Try installing GenericUSBXHCI.kext 1.2.7 here with Kext Wizard:
https://code.google.com/p/os-x-gene...=RehabMan-Generic-USB3-2013-1205.zip&can=2&q=

Downloaded and installed 1.2.7 with Kext Wizard, even rebooted, ports still don't work.

I made a Ubuntu thumb drive and they didn't work under Ubuntu either. I am torn whether I should re install windows to see if they really do work or if its a just unix based OS' that don't play nice with USB3.0

Oh I also checked the bios for settings. Legacy USB support, usb charging port and wake on USB were all checked. I didn't see anything else related to usb

I used a HP 8460p before and it works fine. Make sure you have latest BIOS, and there is also a firmware upgrade for your USB 3.0 Renessa. You can download them at HP's driver website.

I used a HP 8460p before and it works fine. Make sure you have latest BIOS, and there is also a firmware upgrade for your USB 3.0 Renessa. You can download them at HP's driver website.

Please note that if you update your BIOS, you must re-patch DSDT.

Back