Contribute
Register

Guide To Install Mavericks with Clover Bootloader

Clover scans UEFI entries at boot. It will find /EFI/Boot/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi or /EFI/Boot/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw-orig.efi and show it as "Windows" entry, or \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi as "OS X" entry. You can customize those entry by follow "Custom entry" in OP. You can get Parallels to boot directly to Windows by setting Boot/Default Boot Volume in config.plist to "EFI", and reduce timeout.
Hi, Nguyen [sorry but I don't know your first name!].

Thanks for replying.

I HAVE NOW DONE (1) BELOW MANUALLY & IT WORKED.
FOR THOSE LOOKING AT HOW TO DO IT:
(a) Clover configurator is very flexible but not very helpful by way of hints. The reason most of the screens appear empty is that most if the options will not have been set. The space is there for setting almost everything, but with a default emptiness.
(b) The custom entries go into the Gui section, using a text editor or property list editor. One can use the Clover Configurator but it will be harder to do it until the screen is more populated, when it then becomes clearer what is what.
(c) The SubEntries of the custom boot edits are superfluous, as they do not stick (there's no sub-content).

1. I have spent several hours looking around and reading the minimal documentation that is available for Clover (Wiki), including your OP.

I really do not understand how to add the custom entries to config.plist.

I can see the UUID's from /Library/Logs/CloverEFI/boot.log.

I can load the config.plist and then navigate to the Gui tab.

I can see it is possible to click on the '+' underneath the heading 'Custom Entries + Scan Entries'.

BUT this is where it gets difficult. There are so many options, and these are structured horizontally with no indication what the terms (Volume [friendly name?], Path [uuid?], Arguments [??], Title/Full Title, Image [??], DriveImage [??]...) mean; whereas the plist .XML lines are in a vertical structure.

I can use a property list editor, but I do not know where to put the entries as a daughter. But in any case, it is suggested that Clover Configurator is used instead.

Could you please elaborate on how these values are entered, using your initial code block:

<dict>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>FullTitle</key>
<string>OS X Mavericks</string>
<key>Hidden</key>
<false/>
<key>Hotkey</key>
<string>m</string>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<false/>
<key>NoCaches</key>
<false/>
<key>SubEntries</key>
<true/>
<key>Type</key>
<string>OSX</string>
<key>Volume</key>
<string>Your MacHDD UUID</string>
</dict>

as an example; in other words, relating these to the Clover Configurator screen.

Sorry to ask but I do not want to drop things in to my very nicely working configuration without knowing what I am doing and foul things up.

JUST CURIOUS NOW ABOUT 2!
2. A supplementary question is: what is the point of

/usr/local/bin/clover-genconfig >config.plist

I created this (but only to look at, not yet to use or move to EFI) because the very minimal documentation of Clover suggests this will create a "complete" config.plist, but when I look at that, a lot of the content seems to be "VolumeUUID_NOT_SHOWN", Path "_NOT_SHOWN_", Devices such as Fake ID 0x0000 for all, etc. In other words, the config seems to be full of garbage.

Could you please comment on the usefulness or otherwise ofthe config.plist that is so generated?

3. Assuming the "USB Fix" is the same as "FixUSB" in the Acpi screen, this caused the error (with a corrupt graphics screen on booting and a hang): OsxAptipFixDrv: Error - requested memory exceeds our allocated relocation block. Luckily, using the USB boot stick with an older config.plist got round this, and I removed the "FixUSB" option.

Any new information about how to configure the latest version of clover (2334).
For now it boots but the scrambled information is displayed during verbose boot and after. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks!

For now it boots but the scrambled information is displayed during verbose boot and after. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks!

I would not recommend you to install every new version of Clover. The devs seem to be rushing with the updates that are very often not tested well and as a result rolled back in a next release...

Thanks!

I'm using 2334, and there is no major changes since 2234, take a screenshot of that scrambled screen for me. I don't have any glitch on this latest version.

1. I have spent several hours looking around and reading the minimal documentation that is available for Clover (Wiki), including your OP.

I really do not understand how to add the custom entries to config.plist.

I can see the UUID's from /Library/Logs/CloverEFI/boot.log.

I can load the config.plist and then navigate to the Gui tab.

I can see it is possible to click on the '+' underneath the heading 'Custom Entries + Scan Entries'.

BUT this is where it gets difficult. There are so many options, and these are structured horizontally with no indication what the terms (Volume [friendly name?], Path [uuid?], Arguments [??], Title/Full Title, Image [??], DriveImage [??]...) mean; whereas the plist .XML lines are in a vertical structure.

I can use a property list editor, but I do not know where to put the entries as a daughter. But in any case, it is suggested that Clover Configurator is used instead.

Could you please elaborate on how these values are entered, using your initial code block:

<dict>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>FullTitle</key>
<string>OS X Mavericks</string>
<key>Hidden</key>
<false/>
<key>Hotkey</key>
<string>m</string>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<false/>
<key>NoCaches</key>
<false/>
<key>SubEntries</key>
<true/>
<key>Type</key>
<string>OSX</string>
<key>Volume</key>
<string>Your MacHDD UUID</string>
</dict>

as an example; in other words, relating these to the Clover Configurator screen.

Sorry to ask but I do not want to drop things in to my very nicely working configuration without knowing what I am doing and foul things up.

11096021326_2a9d6a965f_o.jpg

JUST CURIOUS NOW ABOUT 2!
2. A supplementary question is: what is the point of

/usr/local/bin/clover-genconfig >config.plist
Only a sample config.plist

3. Assuming the "USB Fix" is the same as "FixUSB" in the Acpi screen, this caused the error (with a corrupt graphics screen on booting and a hang): OsxAptipFixDrv: Error - requested memory exceeds our allocated relocation block. Luckily, using the USB boot stick with an older config.plist got round this, and I removed the "FixUSB" option.

I haven't tested this option, because we already have a fully patched DSDT generated by PBI.

Be aware that you have to be very careful with the Clover Configurator. It has some nasty habits:

- if you uncheck GenerateCStates/PStates it removes the whole section instead of just setting them to false. This is wrong because the default (currently) is true. So unchecking them has no effect.

- if you have custom arguments set for Boot Arguments (eg. -gux_defer_usb2 dart=0 -xcpm=1), and you later use the Clover Configurator, it will wipe out your custom boot args. This and the fact that there is nowhere to specify custom boot args in Clover Configurator

- it will constantly re-arrange entire sections as far as their location in the config.plist. This makes using 'diff' to see what it has changed problematic (eg. backup prior to using, compare after)

It might be best, when you know what to change, to simply edit config.plist with a plist or text editor.

Be aware that you have to be very careful with the Clover Configurator. It has some nasty habits:

- if you uncheck GenerateCStates/PStates it removes the whole section instead of just setting them to false. This is wrong because the default (currently) is true. So unchecking them has no effect.

It's intention of Slice while developing Clover UEFI. If there is no specified option:
- Sandybridge: DropOEM = false, generate = false
- Ivybridge or Haswell: DropOEM=true, generate=true.

Slice don't want to change this default option, and I talked to mackie about this, but there is no changes in CC. Maybe I will try once more.

- if you have custom arguments set for Boot Arguments (eg. -gux_defer_usb2 dart=0 -xcpm=1), and you later use the Clover Configurator, it will wipe out your custom boot args. This and the fact that there is nowhere to specify custom boot args in Clover Configurator

You can use Custom Entries to add it.

- it will constantly re-arrange entire sections as far as their location in the config.plist. This makes using 'diff' to see what it has changed problematic (eg. backup prior to using, compare after)

It might be best, when you know what to change, to simply edit config.plist with a plist or text editor.

Normal editor is more flexible, but it's also contain some dangerous, because there are many options that you don't know if it's enabled without specifying or not, and new options in config.plist too. Anyway, it depends on individual prefer, but I think CC is suitable for newbie.

It's intention of Slice while developing Clover UEFI. If there is no specified option:
- Sandybridge: DropOEM = false, generate = false
- Ivybridge or Haswell: DropOEM=true, generate=true.

Messy. Defaults that change depending on your hardware. Crazy stuff...

Slice don't want to change this default option, and I talked to mackie about this, but there is no changes in CC. Maybe I will try once more.

In its current state, it is a bug.

You can use Custom Entries to add it.

The famous "Gui" tab. I really don't know what is going on in there...

Normal editor is more flexible, but it's also contain some dangerous, because there are many options that you don't know if it's enabled without specifying or not, and new options in config.plist too. Anyway, it depends on individual prefer, but I think CC is suitable for newbie.

Well, when the GUI editor erases data already present, it can't be trusted and should be avoided unless you're careful to make a backup prior to using it.

The famous "Gui" tab. I really don't know what is going on in there...

I added a screenshot to OP, you may give it a try. Add arguments for your os x entry and it will be loaded.

I added a screenshot to OP, you may give it a try. Add arguments for your os x entry and it will be loaded.

I'll give it a try and see what happens...

Seems like a lot of work just to add a couple of boot args.

Back