Contribute
Register

Guide To Install Mavericks with Clover Bootloader

Good morning.

I already run Mavericks with Clover Bootloader on my 4330s. I have installed it on an SSD drive which I put in the Toshiba stock drive's internal SATA slot.

I also have used a HDD Caddy to put the Toshiba hard drive in the upgrade bay.

I managed to mess my windows 8 installation which was inside the Toshiba (It had the original MBR partition scheme). Right now I'm thinking of reinstalling 8.1 in the Toshiba drive. I'm thinking of doing a Windows EFI installation this time, and have already converted the Toshiba to GPT style. I have also prepared a windows 8.1 UEFI usb stick installer.

I have two questions:

1) Will the Windows 8.1 UEFI installation on the Toshiba drive, mess with the clover and MacOs installation in the SSD drive? Should I do something to avoid such an event?

2) What partition scheme do you propose for the Toshiba drive, where I'll be putting the Windows 8.1 OS? Also, what partitions, NTFS or FAT32 for the 8.1 partition? I'll be creating a DATA partition as FAT32 to be used for storage by both OSes. Is that good?

Thank you for your time in advance. This thread and this website has helped me immensely create an excellent MacOsX working environment on my Probook.

Good morning.

I already run Mavericks with Clover Bootloader on my 4330s. I have installed it on an SSD drive which I put in the Toshiba stock drive's internal SATA slot.

I also have used a HDD Caddy to put the Toshiba hard drive in the upgrade bay.

I managed to mess my windows 8 installation which was inside the Toshiba (It had the original MBR partition scheme). Right now I'm thinking of reinstalling 8.1 in the Toshiba drive. I'm thinking of doing a Windows EFI installation this time, and have already converted the Toshiba to GPT style. I have also prepared a windows 8.1 UEFI usb stick installer.

I have two questions:

1) Will the Windows 8.1 UEFI installation on the Toshiba drive, mess with the clover and MacOs installation in the SSD drive? Should I do something to avoid such an event?

2) What partition scheme do you propose for the Toshiba drive, where I'll be putting the Windows 8.1 OS? Also, what partitions, NTFS or FAT32 for the 8.1 partition? I'll be creating a DATA partition as FAT32 to be used for storage by both OSes. Is that good?

Thank you for your time in advance. This thread and this website has helped me immensely create an excellent MacOsX working environment on my Probook.

The windows install should not effect OSX at all, just be sure your working with the right drive when installing, if your worried, remove the OSX drive until complete.

You will ned to boot OSX with your usb stick after installing windows, then repair the boot as described in this guide as you won't see clover until you do.

Go for NTFS for windows.

I don't have a transfer drive, I installed tux era NTFS in OSX instead, I also use a NAS drive, or cloud storage, usb etc... you can use a fat32 partition, remember the 4gb file limit size though.

look at page one of this guide and follow from this section you shouldn't go far wrong, or at all :)
Install Windows UEFI as dual boot

Rob1980, thank you for the immediate response! I'm indebted. Will try the installation tonight or tomorrow. Stupid of me not to have checked up the guide before posting.

Take care, thanks again!

Major Driver Issues with HP ProBook 6470b and OS X Mavericks

Hi, all:

I have an HP ProBook 6470b with HD4000 graphics and a 1366x768 display. I'm having major issues getting drivers to work with it.

The biggest issue is that the built-in video doesn't work past the Apple logo loading screen. As soon as the OS X login screen is supposed to appear, it goes to a black screen and stops displaying video altogether. The screen is still on, and it's not merely dim; it's clearly backlit. Control-Shift-Insert[Eject] puts the display to sleep (no backlight) but when I press a key, the screen comes back on but it's still black (albeit with a backlight again).

I can VNC into it, and the screen loads at 1600x900, which is not the correct resolution and probably explains somewhat why it's not showing up on the built-in display. Apple->About This Mac->More Info...->Displays says that the Built-in Display is 13-inch (1600 x 900) which is not accurate; it's actually a 14-inch (as indicated by the "4" in 6470b) 1366x768 display.

No matter what I've tried to do, I haven't been successful at getting the display to be detected as 1366x768 or forcing it to display that way. Some things I've tried include:

There are no resolution options in System Preferences; it only shows Resolution: "Best for display" (selected) or "Scaled" with no list of resolutions.

The very latest BIOS is installed (68ICE F.46, released January 17, 2014). All recommended BIOS settings are configured, and I've already tried reverting the BIOS to factory defaults and reconfiguring it from scratch.

Most recently I started with a clean install of 10.9.3. I've also tried a clean install of 10.9.0. The only way I could get the OS X installer to appear on the screen is by booting from a Unibeast-enhanced Mavericks installer flash drive and using the boot flags "IGPEnabler=No GraphicsEnabler=No dart=0 -v -x -f" which sets the resolution to 1024x768 stretched. (Booting from the flash drive and selecting Macintosh HD with those boot options was the only way I could ever get to the desktop in the first place to enable VNC.)

Audio and SD card slot aren't working either, but those are less critical for now.

Any suggestions? I've been through so many guides and done everything I can think to do. I would love some assistance if anyone can help.

Thank you in advance!!

Hi, all:

I have an HP ProBook 6470b with HD4000 graphics and a 1366x768 display. I'm having major issues getting drivers to work with it.

The biggest issue is that the built-in video doesn't work past the Apple logo loading screen. As soon as the OS X login screen is supposed to appear, it goes to a black screen and stops displaying video altogether. The screen is still on, and it's not merely dim; it's clearly backlit. Control-Shift-Insert[Eject] puts the display to sleep (no backlight) but when I press a key, the screen comes back on but it's still black (albeit with a backlight again).

I can VNC into it, and the screen loads at 1600x900, which is not the correct resolution and probably explains somewhat why it's not showing up on the built-in display. Apple->About This Mac->More Info...->Displays says that the Built-in Display is 13-inch (1600 x 900) which is not accurate; it's actually a 14-inch (as indicated by the "4" in 6470b) 1366x768 display.

No matter what I've tried to do, I haven't been successful at getting the display to be detected as 1366x768 or forcing it to display that way. Some things I've tried include:

There are no resolution options in System Preferences; it only shows Resolution: "Best for display" (selected) or "Scaled" with no list of resolutions.

The very latest BIOS is installed (68ICE F.46, released January 17, 2014). All recommended BIOS settings are configured, and I've already tried reverting the BIOS to factory defaults and reconfiguring it from scratch.

Most recently I started with a clean install of 10.9.3. I've also tried a clean install of 10.9.0. The only way I could get the OS X installer to appear on the screen is by booting from a Unibeast-enhanced Mavericks installer flash drive and using the boot flags "IGPEnabler=No GraphicsEnabler=No dart=0 -v -x -f" which sets the resolution to 1024x7687 stretched. (Booting from the flash drive and selecting Macintosh HD with those boot options was the only way I could ever get to the desktop in the first place to enable VNC.)

Audio and SD card slot aren't working either, but those are less critical for now.

Any suggestions? I've been through so many guides and done everything I can think to do. I would love some assistance if anyone can help.

Thank you in advance!!

Make sure you follow the guide and select the correct screen type option in the ProBook Installer.

Which config.plist did you select when following the guide?

Make sure you follow the guide and select the correct screen type option in the ProBook Installer.

I've followed the guide closely and made all the correct selections in PBI, multiple times even, and keep getting the same results; i.e. still a black screen, etc.

I guess if nobody else has any thoughts on this, I can try doing everything from scratch a third time. I just feel like if I keep doing the same things, I should expect the same results, and so far I haven't had success following these instructions so I was hoping someone would have a suggestion of something else I could try to inject the correct kexts properly, or whatever it is that needs to be done to make it work right.

If I start from scratch a third time, should I start from 10.9.3, or would it be better to start from an earlier version of 10.9? (I've kept copies of 10.9.0, 10.9.1, and 10.9.2.) So far I've tried starting with 10.9.0 and 10.9.3 and it didn't seem to make a difference. Both had the same driver problems, and running and re-running PBI didn't resolve them.

I've followed the guide closely and made all the correct selections in PBI, multiple times even, and keep getting the same results; i.e. still a black screen, etc.

What were the exact selections you made?

I guess if nobody else has any thoughts on this, I can try doing everything from scratch a third time. I just feel like if I keep doing the same things, I should expect the same results, and so far I haven't had success following these instructions so I was hoping someone would have a suggestion of something else I could try to inject the correct kexts properly, or whatever it is that needs to be done to make it work right.

If I start from scratch a third time, should I start from 10.9.3, or would it be better to start from an earlier version of 10.9? (I've kept copies of 10.9.0, 10.9.1, and 10.9.2.) So far I've tried starting with 10.9.0 and 10.9.3 and it didn't seem to make a difference. Both had the same driver problems, and running and re-running PBI didn't resolve them.

The ProBook Installer will do everything you need, but you need to make the correct selections according to the hardware you have.

Which config.plist did you select when following the guide?

I selected the config.plist in the "HD4000 1366x768" folder.

What were the exact selections you made?

In "Install HP ProBook Installer 6.1.14 Clover Edition" I selected the following:

√ Clover UEFI
√ 6x70b/8x70p support kexts (under OS X support kexts)
√ 6x70b/8x70p (under Config and DSDT patcher->ProBook model)
√ Readings only (under Config and DSDT patcher->Fan behavior)
√ Low-resolution screen (under Config and DSDT patcher->Display type; this is supposed to be the correct selection for 15" and smaller displays with 1366x768 resolution)
√ SSDT generator
√ ProBook logos (under Misc OS X fixes)
√ everything *except* for Local Time Toggle [since I'm not using other OSes] (under Extra tools)

I just ran it again with those settings (probably at least the fourth time I've tried this) and rebooted, with the same results. Clover boot screen, Apple logo with spinning circle, and then black screen instead of OS X login screen. Still shows up as "13-inch (1600 x 900)" in About This Mac when I connect via VNC.

I selected the config.plist in the "HD4000 1366x768" folder.

In "Install HP ProBook Installer 6.1.14 Clover Edition" I selected the following:

√ Clover UEFI
√ 6x70b/8x70p support kexts (under OS X support kexts)
√ 6x70b/8x70p (under Config and DSDT patcher->ProBook model)
√ Readings only (under Config and DSDT patcher->Fan behavior)
√ Low-resolution screen (under Config and DSDT patcher->Display type; this is supposed to be the correct selection for 15" and smaller displays with 1366x768 resolution)
√ SSDT generator
√ ProBook logos (under Misc OS X fixes)
√ everything *except* for Local Time Toggle [since I'm not using other OSes] (under Extra tools)

I just ran it again with those settings (probably at least the fourth time I've tried this) and rebooted, with the same results. Clover boot screen, Apple logo with spinning circle, and then black screen instead of OS X login screen. Still shows up as "13-inch (1600 x 900)" in About This Mac when I connect via VNC.

Can you boot to OS X with USB Clover?

Booot to VNC and make an ioreg:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

Back