Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Sierra on the GA-Z170X-UD3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a note for folks who might be frustrated over the upgrade process (it wasn't working for me, and ended up with the nVidia 970 Black Screen). I tried something new:

1. Install fresh on a spare drive using the fresh install process in the first post
2. Configured everything per instructions, including iMessage and FaceTime
3. Perform a migration with the Migration Assistant
4. Profit. :)
Thanks for the tip, will keep it in mind!

Hello everyone,

I had been using Sierra for a while with my fresh new Samsung SSD 850, and then I got back to Windows and noticed that my SSD S.M.A.R.T. (using Sentinel HD) reports this error:
"Problems occurred between the communication of the disk and the host 53 times."

199 "Ultra ATA CRC Error Count".

After I had switched to Windows this value has never been increased.
I am pretty sure this thing is related to the workaround for the El Capitan/Sierra for not being able to completely shutdown the system, which I had successfully solved by enabling "Fix Shutdown" on Clover configurator.
That "Fix shutdown" fu**cs your S.M.A.R.T. data, and you can't reset that value to zero.

If you have had any problems with shutdown on MACOSX, and have fixed it by enabling 'Fix Shutdown', let me know how is your S.M.A.R.T. doing :)

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I had been using Sierra for a while with my fresh new Samsung SSD 850, and then I got back to Windows and noticed that my SSD S.M.A.R.T. (using Sentinel HD) reports this error:
"Problems occurred between the communication of the disk and the host 53 times."

199 "Ultra ATA CRC Error Count".

After I had switched to Windows this value has never been increased.
I am pretty sure this thing is related to the workaround for the El Capitan/Sierra for not being able to completely shutdown the system, which I had successfully solved by enabling "Fix Shutdown" on Clover configurator.
That "Fix shutdown" fu**cs your S.M.A.R.T. data, and you can't reset that value to zero.

If you have had any problems with shutdown on MACOSX, and have fixed it by enabling 'Fix Shutdown', let me know how is your S.M.A.R.T. doing :)

Thanks!
Fix shutdown has nothing to do with that.

Output of my Samsung 850 Evo 500GB:
Code:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       2212
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   097   097   000    Old_age   Always       -       2379
177 Wear_Leveling_Count     0x0013   098   098   000    Pre-fail  Always       -       37
179 Used_Rsvd_Blk_Cnt_Tot   0x0013   100   100   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
181 Program_Fail_Cnt_Total  0x0032   100   100   010    Old_age   Always       -       0
182 Erase_Fail_Count_Total  0x0032   100   100   010    Old_age   Always       -       0
183 Runtime_Bad_Block       0x0013   100   100   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
187 Uncorrectable_Error_Cnt 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0032   067   050   000    Old_age   Always       -       33
195 ECC_Error_Rate          0x001a   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
199 CRC_Error_Count         0x003e   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
235 POR_Recovery_Count      0x0012   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       210
241 Total_LBAs_Written      0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       26767825764

If your drive is new, RMA it.

Last edited:
I am going to use these steps to go from El Cap to Sierra and don't expect any issues as I had none when I followed the full guide for this motherboard. But I know I get multiple boot entries in the BIOS (none in the clover boot menu) and am running version F6.

I dual boot W10 and OS X and want to make sure everything goes smoothly for both systems. Do I really need to update to F7c? Any simple way to correct the multiple, existing boot entries? Honestly, I am afraid to look as I haven't entered the BIOS in a couple months- maybe there's hundreds!

I followed the steps but my mobo audio isn't working anymore. Audio through DP and HDMI via my monitors works fine, except I do not have universal volume control through them.

I wanted to ask if GTX 960 is too slow for Sierra? because UI animation is so slow.
Resizing windows, maximize, opening apps like VLC.. it's just laggy.

I have installed nvidia web drivers and they are working correctly.

I'm sorry for these drive by updates, I'm currently very very busy (Exams for the next few weeks), a real update will come later.

I found that setting Windows 8 / 10 features to Other OS and everything below that setting (may only show after saving and going into the BIOS again) to UEFI only fixed my multi-monitor problem.

I'm promising some pretty neat stuff like this:

IA32_PM_ENABLE...................(0x770) : 0x1 (HWP Supported and Enabled)

And we should also be getting real Intel HD 530 support soon: http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/ and https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/10/30/aapl-properties-for-skylake-graphics/

The Clover devs are also working on getting FileVault2 to work, I tested it out, but I'm not sure it's ready for novice users yet.

I upgraded from 10.12 to ... 10.12.1 (whatever's latest) through the App Store, and everything went smooth. Even sound (over displayport to my monitor) still worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back