Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Sierra on the GA-Z170X-UD3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry for these drive by updates, I'm currently very very busy (Exams for the next few weeks), a real update will come later.

I found that setting Windows 8 / 10 features to Other OS and everything below that setting (may only show after saving and going into the BIOS again) to UEFI only fixed my multi-monitor problem.

I'm promising some pretty neat stuff like this:

IA32_PM_ENABLE...................(0x770) : 0x1 (HWP Supported and Enabled)

And we should also be getting real Intel HD 530 support soon: http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/ and https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/10/30/aapl-properties-for-skylake-graphics/

The Clover devs are also working on getting FileVault2 to work, I tested it out, but I'm not sure it's ready for novice users yet.
Any update about driving Nvidia GTX 10xx on this motherboard? Plan to upgrade but worry about the driver.

Any update about driving Nvidia GTX 10xx on this motherboard? Plan to upgrade but worry about the driver.
nVidia 10xx is waiting on nVidia to release drivers (it is unlikely that Apple will release drivers because none of their hardware uses Pascal). There is a 1070/1080 thread you can pay attention to. The nVidia web drivers are at version 367.16.10.15f01 and folks are hoping that recent CUDA support for Pascal means that the next major release of the drivers will support Pascal. Not sure if that means 367.16.11.xxx or 367.16.10.16xx or what. But Pascal support is not restricted to this mobo.

Hey guys, hoping for help, I am using 530 GPU on this board and trying to get dual monitors to work under Sierra. I followed cnrd's guides for my initial el cap install and have dual monitors working under el cap using a variety of fixes and patches as recommended in this forum.

I had el cap running on two disks so once they reported the graphical glitches were fixed under sierra for the 530 I took the plunge and upgraded my second el cap to sierra following this guide. On a single monitor (either dvi or hdmi) sierra works fine.

On el cap, i have to boot with a single monitor and turn on the second one at the desktop, so that's fine.

On sierra, if I do that, both monitors go dark and never come back up.

I'm using smbios Mac Pro 6,1, the GFX0 to IGPU fix, inject intel yes, ig-platform-id 0x19120000, 4 port patch, several connector type patches, AGDPFix.app, and the Skylake Sierra 530 patches.

One suggestion is to change the smbios, i see people say iMac 14,2 (or 13,2?) is less trouble-prone. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Hey guys, hoping for help, I am using 530 GPU on this board and trying to get dual monitors to work under Sierra. I followed cnrd's guides for my initial el cap install and have dual monitors working under el cap using a variety of fixes and patches as recommended in this forum.

I had el cap running on two disks so once they reported the graphical glitches were fixed under sierra for the 530 I took the plunge and upgraded my second el cap to sierra following this guide. On a single monitor (either dvi or hdmi) sierra works fine.

On el cap, i have to boot with a single monitor and turn on the second one at the desktop, so that's fine.

On sierra, if I do that, both monitors go dark and never come back up.

I'm using smbios Mac Pro 6,1, the GFX0 to IGPU fix, inject intel yes, ig-platform-id 0x19120000, 4 port patch, several connector type patches, AGDPFix.app, and the Skylake Sierra 530 patches.

One suggestion is to change the smbios, i see people say iMac 14,2 (or 13,2?) is less trouble-prone. Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Try setting Windows 8/10 features to Other OS in BIOS, then reboot into BIOS and set the two first settings below that to UEFI only, that fixed the black screen with multiple monitors for me.

Try setting Windows 8/10 features to Other OS in BIOS, then reboot into BIOS and set the two first settings below that to UEFI only, that fixed the black screen with multiple monitors for me.
Thanks cnrd for the guides and this suggestion, I'll try that and report back. I think I had it set to Win8/10 in the BIOS based on the el cap guide and maybe a forum post somewhere, so this would be different. I know I have legacy+UEFI in some places, UEFI only for boot.

Thanks cnrd for the guides and this suggestion, I'll try that and report back. I think I had it set to Win8/10 in the BIOS based on the el cap guide and maybe a forum post somewhere, so this would be different. I know I have legacy+UEFI in some places, UEFI only for boot.
Yeah the guide currently recommend Windows 8/10, I'll be doing an update on the guide after my exams (so expect an updated guide in December).

Thanks for the detailed guide!

I followed the steps to create an installation USB drive. I can boot with the USB drive and get to the installation screen without error, however, when I open the "Disk Utility", the SSD drive (Intel G2 80G, SATA II) is not listed. All my other HDD drives (4 in total) are there in the list.

I connect the SSD drive to the SATA III port 0. I tried to switch the SATA port with another HDD drive, but nothing changed.

Could you please advise why this would happen, and possible follow ups?

Thanks,

Thanks for the detailed guide!

I followed the steps to create an installation USB drive. I can boot with the USB drive and get to the installation screen without error, however, when I open the "Disk Utility", the SSD drive (Intel G2 80G, SATA II) is not listed. All my other HDD drives (4 in total) are there in the list.

I connect the SSD drive to the SATA III port 0. I tried to switch the SATA port with another HDD drive, but nothing changed.

Could you please advise why this would happen, and possible follow ups?

Thanks,
So this is definitely the sort of stuff that makes Hackintoshing Lots Of Fun.

To my knowledge, any recent SSD should work. The possibilities seem to be, a driver wasn't loaded for the SSD/SATA bus, Clover is misconfigured, or the BIOS is mis-configured.

In order for Mac OS X to see the SSD, it has to have a driver for the SATA bus. You will want to research what SATA bus your SSD is attached to to understand the driver. However, since you said you swapped a recognized HDD with the SSD, that seems to rule out a SATA driver issue.

As far as a mis-configuration, did you install Clover to the USB in UEFI mode? And do you have your BIOS set to use Legacy and UEFI? It's possible your BIOS is saying "use UEFI only" for some devices such as SATA or boot devices but you don't have a UEFI driver.

So what I would do is simplify. Consider resetting the BIOS to optimal defaults, change just the minimal values you KNOW you need to change, disconnect everything but the SSD, boot from the USB stick, and try to get to the installer and see if the SSD is now showing up. I am of course assuming in all of this that the BIOS is reporting that the SSD is there. If the SSD isn't visible in the BIOS than it's something more basic like the SSD not being connected properly or not having power.

What about F20 bios? Is it safe to update?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back