Contribute
Register

[Guide] Patching DSDT/SSDT for LAPTOP backlight control

Hello RehabMan,

i successfully managed to disable my dedicated GTX660M and to inject my HD4000 on my laptop DSDT/SSDTs.

Now i cant get Brightness working. The Brightness Slyder is shown but has no effect on Brightness.

I tried everything i can do but no luck.

Please, can you have a look and maybe fix the problem? I dont know what i am doing wrong.

Sorry for my poor english

Thanks in advance

EDIT:

I know the problems with my Wifi - Bluetooth Combo Card and how ti fix.

You should try IntelBacklight.kext + "Brightness Fix" as recommended in post #1.

But I think it is likely your computer does not use the IGPU PWM backlight control (you can test it by removing ACPIBacklight.kext... it is described in post #1). In which case, you should try "Brightness Fix (ACPI 100)" with ACPIBacklight.kext.

You should try IntelBacklight.kext + "Brightness Fix" as recommended in post #1.

But I think it is likely your computer does not use the IGPU PWM backlight control (you can test it by removing ACPIBacklight.kext... it is described in post #1). In which case, you should try "Brightness Fix (ACPI 100)" with ACPIBacklight.kext.

Omg, the Brightness Fix (ACPI 100) with ACPIBacklight did the trick. :thumbup:

That was the only patch i have not tried. :banghead:

Omg, the Brightness Fix (ACPI 100) with ACPIBacklight did the trick. :thumbup:

That was the only patch i have not tried. :banghead:

Yes... that setup is a good choice when the system does not use the IGPU PWM registers for backlight control, but does have good ACPI support for Windows8+.

Yes... that setup is a good choice when the system does not use the IGPU PWM registers for backlight control, but does have good ACPI support for Windows8+.

Nice to know. Many Thanks for your help and excellent work.

Hi Rehabman,

I was trying to capture the fn+up/down key and followed your tutorial in my new El Capitan

DSDT was patched with 'OS Check fix', 'Debug Method', 'EC Queries'.

And i also managed to see the ACPIDebug was successfully loaded. In system.log,
Code:
ACPIDebug: Version 0.1.4 starting on OS X Darwin 15.5.

But if i press keys with fn, it seems that they were not captured, and no logs were recorded in system.log

Do you know what the problem is? Maybe incompatibility with El Capitan?

Hi Rehabman,

I was trying to capture the fn+up/down key and followed your tutorial in my new El Capitan

Code:

But if i press keys with fn, it seems that they were not captured, and no logs were recorded in system.log

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

hii... i try everything to work brightness in my intel hd 4000 graphics ..but brightness is not working. brigthness panel not found in display..plz help ...
i upload my dsdt.aml file...

Attachments

• dsdt.aml
    350.9 KB · Views: 168
hii... i try everything to work brightness in my intel hd 4000 graphics ..but brightness is not working. brigthness panel not found in display..plz help ...
i upload my dsdt.aml file...

The file you attached is not .aml. It is .dsl renamed as .aml.

Read post #1 and the main ACPI patching guide.

The preferred solution is: IntelBacklight.kext + "Brightness Fix" patch.

Hi Rehabman,

Code:

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

Hi RehabMan,

Problem:
OSX Version: 10.11.5 (15F34)
I wanna capture the FN+Left/Right key, but failed.
I did as the tutorial wrote: Install ACPIDebug.kext -> Patch Debug Mode -> Patch EC Queries -> Reboot Check System.log

I saw ACPIDebug was loaded, but pressing fn+left/right won't generate any logs in system.log

Here is my files:
DSDT extracted by patchmatic: RehabMan.zip
IOReg: ioreg.ioreg
Clover: CLOVER.zip
Original DSDT/SSDTs are on my Github (patched folder) if you are interested

Output of Commands:
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 03.07.06.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 03.09.19.png

Thanks in advance! Nice weekend!

Attachments

• ioreg.ioreg
    4.9 MB · Views: 146
  • RehabMan.zip
    35.6 KB · Views: 147
  • CLOVER.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Hi RehabMan,

Problem:
OSX Version: 10.11.5 (15F34)
I wanna capture the FN+Left/Right key, but failed.
I did as the tutorial wrote: Install ACPIDebug.kext -> Patch Debug Mode -> Patch EC Queries -> Reboot Check System.log

I saw ACPIDebug was loaded, but pressing fn+left/right won't generate any logs in system.log

Here is my files:
DSDT extracted by patchmatic: RehabMan.zip
IOReg: ioreg.ioreg
Clover: CLOVER.zip
Original DSDT/SSDTs are on my Github (patched folder) if you are interested

Output of Commands:
View attachment 200858
View attachment 200859

Thanks in advance! Nice weekend!

ACPI is not patched per guide. Often, brightness keys do not trigger EC queries unless the DSDT is coded to simulate a version of Windows (and sometimes, a specific version). Requires one of the "OS Check Fix" patches.

See guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Back