Contribute
Register

[Guide] Patching DSDT/SSDT for LAPTOP backlight control

That was another problem because my VGA external port didn't work so i couldn't reset the nvram AND the strange thing is that obviusly i didn't switch off my hackintosh with backlight level turned to zero !

If you find a reproducible scenario that results in the zero intel-backlight-level, please report it.

The only legit way I know of:
- connect external monitor (HDMI, DP)
- turn the laptop backlight to black
- shutdown
- disconnect external monitor
- boot the laptop

I could code around this (ignore zero backlight level when in nvram, and use medium backlight), but then people who use an external all the time would not like it...

If you find a reproducible scenario that results in the zero intel-backlight-level, please report it.

The only legit way I know of:
- connect external monitor (HDMI, DP)
- turn the laptop backlight to black
- shutdown
- disconnect external monitor
- boot the laptop

I could code around this (ignore zero backlight level when in nvram, and use medium backlight), but then people who use an external all the time would not like it...
I never used an external monitor on my laptop and so i couldn't turn the backlight to 0 and then switch off the hackintosh that was all my problem. Now that my brightness function keys work i'll try to install intelbacklight.kext and check what's going on.
I'll let you know in few minutes.
Thanks for the support !

EDIT : Reinstalled IntelBackLight.kext and everything works as it should. Thanks for the support. If i understand what happened or you need some logs to check something let me know.

Mattia

Last edited:
EDIT : Reinstalled IntelBackLight.kext and everything works as it should. Thanks for the support. If i understand what happened or you need some logs to check something let me know.

If you reproduce the problem of zero backlight, and can repeat it with a known set of steps, report here...

Hi, how can i force the default backlight level on boot ? Every time i reboot the machine i get the level to 50%

Hi, how can i force the default backlight level on boot ? Every time i reboot the machine i get the level to 50%

The last set backlight level will be restored upon restart if you have NVRAM working correctly.

The last set backlight level will be restored upon restart if you have NVRAM working correctly.
Yes you are right, after reboot i lose the variables.

Yes you are right, after reboot i lose the variables.

You should fix your NVRAM implementation. Clover legacy or Clover UEFI? If you're using emulated NVRAM, make sure you installed the "RC scripts"

You should fix your NVRAM implementation. Clover legacy or Clover UEFI? If you're using emulated NVRAM, make sure you installed the "RC scripts"
UEFI. Fixed installing RC scripts + EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. As always, thank you :)

UEFI. Fixed installing RC scripts + EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. As always, thank you :)

You could also try native NVRAM (remove EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, remove /nvram.plist).

into method label _Q10 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0405)\n
end;
into method label _Q11 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0406)\n
end;

i dont understand.

where is 0x0405?

i scan brightness key code
2016. 5. 23. 오후 7:20:23.000 kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: "EC _Q02 enter"
2016. 5. 23. 오후 7:20:23.000 kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: "EC _Q02 exit"
2016. 5. 23. 오후 7:20:23.000 kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e02b=80 down
2016. 5. 23. 오후 7:20:24.000 kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: "EC _Q03 enter"
2016. 5. 23. 오후 7:20:24.000 kernel[0]: ACPIDebug: "EC _Q03 exit"
2016. 5. 23. 오후 7:20:24.000 kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e02b=80 down

i dont scan 0x0405.

i use hp 430 device, you can check my spec signature blow.

some device not use 0x0405 value,

acer laptop use 0x0206 value.

i follow your guide both hp and acer. but these values are not shown.

if i use other ps2 kext, i added code
into method label _Q28 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
Notify (PS2K, 0x20)\n
end;
into method label _Q30 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
Notify (PS2K, 0x10)\n
end;

these 0x20, 0x10 values are working all laptop.

i dont understand. why voodoops2 have difference code?

where is 0x405 or 0x205?

Back