Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Overclock with Z68/Z77, Power Management, SSDT Edits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have built a GA-Z77X-UD5H i7-3770K with a Radeon HD 6870 and 2 OCZ Vertex4 SSD's. This is my first build but I finally got everything working including a 4.5Ghz overclock. I finally accomplished this by setting my bios back to AUTO regarding "Advanced Frequencies" I achieved the 4.5 by disabling the cpu thermal monitor and setting custom turbo ratios. I left Turbo enabled and set each cpu to "45" I also changed the 2 power limits just below "Turbo" settings to 250 and 250. Upon reboot I installed HWMonitor (google download links). It changed and installed various Power Management settings. Once installed I restarted and Overclock worked flawlessly. At rest CPU multiplier is 1.6 and 4.5 under load. My Multibeast settings were as described in the Uni-Beast and Multi-Beast Guides with the extra steps according to the Ivy bridge guide. I did not make any extra changes except in the audio kexts but that isn't what this thread is about. I hope this helps someone...

Note- I am using a closed loop water cooling system. With stock intel cooler perhaps starting at 4.2 is safer (I also tried 4.8 and i couldn't boot and had to switch to backup bios). This would mean the turbo ratios should be at 42 instead of 45. Leave base multiplier at 35. the turbo ratios provide the overclock while allowing the i7 to step down when not under load.

GB Score: 16925 CineBench CPU-9.14 GPU-59.31 MP ratio-4.93x (64bit)

GA-Z77X-UD5H, i7-3770K, Radeon HD 6870 2GB, 2xVertex4 SSD, 2xSeagte HDD, 16GB Kingston DDR3 16000Mhz, OSX 10.7.4

Superb post!

I went from an i7 2600k @ 3.5 GHz and 13k geekbench score, to 4.5 GHz and a 16133 score.

I have a Scythe Mugen rev. B and i used Coollaboratory liquid ultra as cooler pasta.

I stressed it with Geekbench Stress Test. Unsure how long to test but after 30minutes i have zero errors and the temp is around 60 degrees celcius.
I also used the prim95 torture (blend) test (8 threads) for 25 minutes (no errors and temps around 60 - 70 degrees). What is the maximum temp to be safe?

All edits was done with GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 BIOS (F12).C3/C6 disabled but the rest of the CPU features (C1E, EIST, that other thing) enabled.

I am very pleased to get a 16k score after my first overclock!

hi to all!

I have a simple question for you, with this model of motherboard (GA-Z77X-UD5H)'ll have native speedstep? My CPU is i7 2600K, I do not overclock. Forgive my English translator xD

Philz, about Vcore. Is a high vcore in itself dangerous to the CPU or is it just the resulting heat?
I had the situation where I boosted my turbo ratios with a less-than-great cooler with voltages kept on auto. After a while I realized my vcore would go over 1.4V but I still had current/power limiting on so the CPU was throttled down before reaching frying temps. Is that safe or still to be avoided?
NB. I now have my vcore under control by setting DVID manually.

Thanks, Philz, for such a perfect guide.
Made my system work at 4400. I edited Tony's SSDT.aml for overclocked i5/i7 CPU. For me it work ony when one of my Turbo mode multipliers is down by 1 (for now they are 45-45-45-44).
No luck when they are all x45 - it works at x16.
So, actually, my setup is 4.4 GHz overclocked.
Thanx alot, philz, it was rather simple.

can somebody reupload the bios screen caps, ive been using those as a guide but its not available anymore on the host site flicker :(

Thanks, Philz, for such a perfect guide.
Made my system work at 4400. I edited Tony's SSDT.aml for overclocked i5/i7 CPU. For me it work ony when one of my Turbo mode multipliers is down by 1 (for now they are 45-45-45-44).
No luck when they are all x45 - it works at x16.
So, actually, my setup is 4.4 GHz overclocked.
Thanx alot, philz, it was rather simple.

Hi just wondering if u could share ur edited SSDT.aml, I am currently using Tonys so am only able to clock to 4.1, and to be quite honest I looked at editing the SSDT but it is well above my level of understanding.
THanks

hey guys ive tried overclocking and my system isnt seeing the overclock. I think im using Imac12,2 system def. with latest clover, z77 ds3h board and i5 3570k, thanks for any help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back