Contribute
Register

[Guide][New VoodooI2C] Asus Vivobook S15 X510UAR 10.13+

That sucks. The X510UA in the BQ490 is cheaper than the X510UAR. Here is an offer for $183/ 215687 KRW with free intn. shipping from China.

@a29psx I saw that. Is the CPU soldered onto our mobos, or replaceable?

@a29psx I saw that. Is the CPU soldered onto our mobos, or replaceable?
cpu was soldered (and ram also in my s410)
you need reworking machine and skills to change the CPU
the rest of the motherboard is basically the same

yeah, I just looked at some photos on the web, indeed looks soldered on each of them. Bummer.. :(

@bugsb if my memory was correct the last time they use cpu socket on laptop was the centrino era (around 2005)
the reason they always told us was to slim down the laptop

but I think the real reason is to prevent us from swapping the cpu and plugging the mobile cpu in desktop system

from my understanding the mobile cpus was some of the best bin in the silicon batch since they have to work at high speed under low voltage. So theirs overclocking potential is quite high if we can raise the voltage

we had good time playing with those Dothan CPU that can work with desktop motherboard through a specific daughter card from asus
1200px-ASUS_CT-479_installed_on_P4GPL-X.png

right now there is some chinese vendor selling mobile cpu that has been moded to work on desktop motherboard, and they have really good perfomance / price, maybe best bang for the buck IMHO

just something off-topic, incase you are curious

Last edited:
ah OK, thanks for sharing this info with context - I indeed did not know. Cool photo. No fan needed right ontop of the CPU - it's that cool?

ofcourse you need some cooling
this is the small HSF that comes with the board
hsfplug.jpg

you could also mod bigger HSF or water cooling for daily use under slight overcloking

back in the days we went as far as dry ice cooling for hard OC
we did not try liquid nitrogen at that time yet

those days was really fun

what is the [Misc > Boot > PickerAttributes: 23] are for? (the Dortania guide set it to 17)

I just updatedyour build to Opencore 0.7.5 on Catalina and got big time to figure why I cannot see the MACOS partition anymore.
Found the solution here (for the noobies like me)
  • If you are running macOS older than Big Sur, you need to change the following values, otherwise you won't see your macOS Disk(s) in BootPicker, since the APFS Driver will not be loaded:
    • UEFI > APFS > MinDate: set it to -1
    • UEFI > APFS > MinVersion: set it to -1

Is it ok to leave those 2 APFS values like that after upgrade to Big Sur or Monterey?
or I have to change those back to 0

Last edited:
Back