Contribute
Register

[Guide] MUSIC PRODUCTION Skylake Build: 10.11.6, Z170X-Designare, 6700K, HD530, TB3, 960 EVO M.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome guide, im running a very similar build to yourself. except running an apogee through firewire via the thunderbolt.

how does the Apollo run?

Im also having the same shutdown restart problem, have tried everything including the USB ssdt

I'm thinking that the shutdown/reboot issue may be related to the M.2 NVMe drive. When I get a sec and I'm not at work, I'll point you to a couple threads that I've tried with my current build that may help with this issue. BTW, I'm having MASSIVE problems with my ASUS Z170-Pro + TB3 card, getting it to work. I'm **this** close to taking the board & card back & getting this board. I'll keep you posted with my success if I pull the trigger on this switch-a-roo.

@BoomR I have the same board, but I'm using regular EVO 850 sata- SSDs. I too have the shutdown/restart problem, so I doubt it's directly related to the M.2 NVME drive. Any other ideas for a culprit?

@BoomR I have the same board, but I'm using regular EVO 850 sata- SSDs. I too have the shutdown/restart problem, so I doubt it's directly related to the M.2 NVME drive. Any other ideas for a culprit?

In Clover Configurator > ACPI page, there is a checkbox for a "FixShutdown". I've seen a few people say that checking that box helps this issue. Give that a try & then report back, please! :wave:

Hey @QkY - quick question: do you have your TB devices connected & powered on before you hit the power button & boot up your CustoMac? I'm assuming you're having good success with this, and all your TB devices show up OK?

I've bailed on my ASUS Z170X-Pro build with ThunderboltEX-3 card, and I'm test driving a GA-Z170X-ULTRA GAMING board. On the spectrum of good-better-best, this one looks a notch under your Designare (and has only 1 USB 3.1/TB Type-C connection). TB is MOSTLY working for me. But sometimes, when I boot up (with TB devices connected & powered on), my POST screen comes up in HUGE letters, and then screen goes blank. I have to do a hard shut-off & then try again.

What seems to work reliably to get a good boot & to get my TB devices visible/useable, is to NOT have the device connected when I power on the machine. Then, *immediately* after POST beep, I quickly connect my TB device. Only then will things work properly. Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Components:
GA-Z170X-ULTRA GAMING
Intel i7 6700K CPU
NVIDIA GTX 970 GPU
16 GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600
Samsung 850 Pro SSD (256GB)
Apple TB3 > TB2 adapter

Tested TB devices (working in both macOS and Win10):
Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt (TB1)
LaCie d2 Thunderbolt 2 (4GB)
Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Docking Station
Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Expansion Chassis

(PS - I'm a long-time audio guy myself, but this build is for some new adventures in editing/producing 360/VR content in 4K) :headbang:

Last edited:
Hey guys! Awesome thread. I'm looking at building a new hackintosh for my recording studio. My current setup is getting old and I'm thinking thunderbolt may be the solution. Would you recommend this setup with for an Apogee Element? I do mostly mixing and mastering in pro tools. How is the cpu usage with that skylake and thunderbolt? I'm using a 6 core i7 980 and I'm running outta juice, even with 12 processors using my USB duet 2. I'm thinking of keeping my current psu (800 watt seasonic), gpu (nvidia 980 ti) and ssds...

Last edited:
Hey guys! Awesome thread. I'm looking at building a new hackintosh for my recording studio. My current setup is getting old and I'm thinking thunderbolt may be the solution. Would you recommend this setup with for an Apogee Element? I do mostly mixing and mastering in pro tools. How is the cpu usage with that skylake and thunderbolt? I'm using a 6 core i7 980 and I'm running outta juice, even with 12 processors using my USB duet 2. I'm thinking of keeping my current psu (800 watt seasonic), gpu (nvidia 980 ti) and ssds...

Just curious - when you are at idle (no apps running), what are your Geekbench scores with your current system? I'm not that familiar with the 980 and it's specs, etc (esp. in performance as compared to what is available today).

Not sure, never used geekbench. I've tried another benchmark and it won't measure my cpu performance. It also says unknown cpu in about Mac. Never have been able to find an ip to date fix. Currently running osx 10.11.6

Not sure, never used geekbench. I've tried another benchmark and it won't measure my cpu performance. It also says unknown cpu in about Mac. Never have been able to find an ip to date fix. Currently running osx 10.11.6
You might want to give GB a try, and then post your results. My guess is that a top-end i7 6700K with a touch of overclocking will run circles around your current rig. . :headbang:

You might want to give GB a try, and then post your results. My guess is that a top-end i7 6700K with a touch of overclocking will run circles around your current rig. . :headbang:

Honestly I'd like to build an 8 core if possible. In pro tools you need as many processors as possible. That's why I'm wondering about going with a thunderbolt rig. Supposed to take a load off the cpu apparently.

Honestly I'd like to build an 8 core if possible. In pro tools you need as many processors as possible. That's why I'm wondering about going with a thunderbolt rig. Supposed to take a load off the cpu apparently.
If that's the case, then you need to check out the posts on the X99 builds (as an 8-core build is sort of OT for this thread). As you probably know, those rigs are not fully supported at the current time. But there are a few folks who have them working.

Update: Check out this post for some specs on a Z170X w/TB system, and also running a HUGE PT session. His system is hardly breaking a sweat:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...lt-3-pro-tools-uad-2-satellite-hd-530.201400/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back