Contribute
Register

[Guide] MUSIC PRODUCTION Skylake Build: 10.11.6, Z170X-Designare, 6700K, HD530, TB3, 960 EVO M.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
it works for me but I am using the Samsung 850 evo M.2, and with my Nvidia 980 TI, sleeps works too but it disconnects my Apollo on wake, but that is a known issue tho.I am also running 10.12.3 as well so that might be why too.
Known problem in NVMeGeneric.kext. I don't know why you're using it.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/

I've been trying to chase you on InsanelyMac via the messages as well but I never quite figured out your guide!

:ch:Executed the patch-nvme file as you have explained. I downloaded 10.12.3 from the App Store so I used the right version:

cd ~/Downloads/patch-nvme-master
./patch_nvme.sh 10_12_3

Even tried the "--spoof" version as well!

:ch:I copied the "HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_3.kext" from the ~/Downloads/patch-nvme-master/ folder to the /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/Other to my Unibeast disk so I can get it seen my 960 EVO.

:ch:I REBOOT but I get a Panic?! WHY?!

Can you please explain to those who are not so knowledgeable how to do all of this?

I've been trying to chase you on InsanelyMac via the messages as well but I never quite figured out your guide!

:ch:Executed the patch-nvme file as you have explained. I downloaded 10.12.3 from the App Store so I used the right version:

cd ~/Downloads/patch-nvme-master
./patch_nvme.sh 10_12_3

Even tried the "--spoof" version as well!

:ch:I copied the "HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_3.kext" from the ~/Downloads/patch-nvme-master/ folder to the /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/Other to my Unibeast disk so I can get it seen my 960 EVO.

:ch:I REBOOT but I get a Panic?! WHY?!

Can you please explain to those who are not so knowledgeable how to do all of this?

Reply at NVMe class-code spoof guide thread.
Be sure to provide files requested in "Problem Reporting".

You seem to be forgetting to create the required SSDT...

I'm currently trying to get basically the same setup going, no success in any way.
i7 6700K, 170 UD5 TH, Samsung 960 M.2, going for Sierra 10.12.3.

I tried following RehabMan's class-spoof thing, but I haven't got the least clue about SSDT editing and all that. When I save the code snippet, it tells me it's not a valid file. I googled for ages and read through volumes of thread posts, still have no clue what to do.

When I put the NVMeGeneric.kext into Unibeast's EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ directory, or create a ./10.12/ directory and put it in there, or just drop it into the ./Other/ folder, either the Samsung 960 still doesn't show up in setup's Disk Utility, or I can't even boot because there's a Kernel Panic. (Or Kernel Trap, coming from NVMeGeneric.kext, have a pic of the msg)

Been trying to get this build going for 3 evenings now, and it kinda sucks because I had no issues anywhere near these with my last two builds. Sure, black screens and audio dropouts and all that, but nothing like this before.

I feel like just returning the $1.5K of hardware and saving 2 months more for a real Mac.

I'm currently trying to get basically the same setup going, no success in any way.

I tried following RehabMan's class-spoof thing, but I haven't got the least clue about SSDT editing and all that. When I save the code snippet, it tells me it's not a valid file. I googled for ages and read through volumes of thread posts, still have no clue what to do.

When I put the NVMeGeneric.kext into Unibeast's EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ directory, or create a ./10.12/ directory and put it in there, or just drop it into the ./Other/ folder, either the Samsung 960 still doesn't show up in setup's Disk Utility, or I can't even boot because there's a Kernel Panic. (Or Kernel Trap, coming from NVMeGeneric.kext, have a pic of the msg)

Been trying to get this build going for 3 evenings now, and it kinda sucks because I had no issues anywhere near these with my last two builds. Sure, black screens and audio dropouts and all that, but nothing like this before.

I feel like just returning the $1.5K of hardware and saving 2 months more for a real Mac.

Why not get a Samsung 850 evo m.2 SSD? that is SATA and less problems.I had a NVME SSD and returned it too because of the problems and I got the 850 and now everything is smooth.

I don't know if you have seen my guide but currently it is in pieces because I'm rewriting it completely because a lot has changed but I've been so busy at work I haven't got around it yet! I actually managed to get it working fully on 10.12.3 running the 960 EVO as the Boot drive without any issues!

The computer is super stable RAM shows the correct timings, CPU is functioning properly as it should, iCloud working and the Thunderbolt 3 ports are also working as they should. I'll simplify the guide soon so many people will be able to understand it so don't return the hardware... Perhaps swap out the MoBo because I'm using the Z170X Designare here which is a newer model!

I'm still trying to get sleep & shutdown working as if I power down I'm still getting the restart issue but honestly everything else is working as they should. I also have a tiny issue with the Intel 530 as there is that glitch that people talk about that happens when you upgrade to the latest version of Sierra at 10.12.3 but it really is a small problem and I advise many of your just to switch your Menu Bar to the "DARK MODE" for now until Apple drops the latest stable Drivers for Nvidia or the Intel 530.

WE'LL SORT THIS OUT TOGETHER PEOPLE!:thumbup::clap:

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 01.38.32.png Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 01.41.55.png

Last edited:
iMac late 2013? So you're using 14,2? Or is the 17,1 that old?

I also somehow managed to get the RehabMan spoof going, the M.2 showed up in setup and I could install.
After that, I could boot several times from USB into Sierra on the M.2, where I followed the post-install steps of your post #1. That is run MultiBeast and install stuff, which I did - following the specs you posted, and now nothing works anymore. Can't boot from M.2, can't boot from USB, it always gets about 3/4 of the way and then I get to see this lovely image...

zuucbzpb.jpg

I have no clue why I'm having such a hard time this time... I read the buyers guides and successful build threads before buying the hardware, I followed all sorts of instructions for the installation and still... nada. *sigh*

Still, I'm really thankful that people like you take the time to write these step-by-step instructions!

iMac late 2013? So you're using 14,2? Or is the 17,1 that old?

I also somehow managed to get the RehabMan spoof going, the M.2 showed up in setup and I could install.
After that, I could boot several times from USB into Sierra on the M.2, where I followed the post-install steps of your post #1. That is run MultiBeast and install stuff, which I did - following the specs you posted, and now nothing works anymore. Can't boot from M.2, can't boot from USB, it always gets about 3/4 of the way and then I get to see this lovely image...

zuucbzpb.jpg

I have no clue why I'm having such a hard time this time... I read the buyers guides and successful build threads before buying the hardware, I followed all sorts of instructions for the installation and still... nada. *sigh*

Still, I'm really thankful that people like you take the time to write these step-by-step instructions!

I'll try and sort the guide out for you over the weekend so you should be good! The guide is currently wrong because half of it is written for Sierra and the other half for El Capitan! I'll update it soon :)

Many thanks in advance! :)

I tracked the last issue down to OsxAptioDrv2.efi or something, found a theoretical solution for it (swap for OsxAptioDrv-free200.efi or so and reinstall) which solved it at first, then after reboot I get locked out again.

Interestingly, once I had the initial install of OSX behind me, I found out I could boot directly into OSX from the M.2 without having to F12 into the USB key for the boot loader. Not necessary to boot from USB, then select the M.2 and install Clover boot loader through MultiBeast later.

Just to chime in, if you are interested
For using USB3.0 to install, I followed Rehabman's USB guide and get it working during Installation.
I did,
1. a patch in Clover/APCI/patched, cut it down to 15 during post install. (Not sure this patch is mandatory, since I already had a working system on another drive and had USB mapping sorted out, I drag the aml file in anyway.
2. config.plist needs at KextToPatch need to increase 2.0 3.0 ports limits (disabled at post-install).
3. in Change EHC1 to EH01, EHC2 to EC02 for kexts to work. AppleAPCI is also needed in my case.
4. Get the new USBInjectAll.kext, (I was on h270, so I needed another 200-series) in Clover/kexts
Very similar to the Rehabman's NVMe guide.
That get me through the freeze of boot to installer at HID: Legacy shim 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back