Contribute
Register

[Guide] MUSIC PRODUCTION Skylake Build: 10.11.6, Z170X-Designare, 6700K, HD530, TB3, 960 EVO M.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi QkY!

Any news on an update to the guide? I saw that you had made some edits on Tue the 2nd, but the original guide still mentions that you have problems displaying the correct RAM size and speed etc. so that's why I'm curious :).

I'm building a fairly similar setup (i.e. the same mobo, cpu, ram) for the same purpose, although I'm using a bunch of RME hardware as far as audio goes, RME ufx & an Octamic XTC through USB 2.0 (proprietary drivers though), and will thus not actually need the TB functionality at the moment, but want to leave that as an option in case I later on move over to an UFX+ or other TB gear.

All parts have been ordered and I'm preparing the usb install stick and collecting info before I actually dive in. This is my first hack build, and even though I'm not entirely new to this kind of a thing, I'd rather not invent the wheel myself again if others have already successfully managed to iron out any potential kinks along the way :). I'd be happy to write about my experiences during and after getting everything up and running.

Last edited:
I've no clue how I made it this far, it looks like everything is up and running. The trickiest parts were getting the M.2 drive to work and getting the nVidia Web Driver for my GTX 970 to life with the MacPro6,1 system definition. But somehow I managed, one eye open, half dead, late at night, a week in a row.

The only thing that's missing now is Thunderbolt.
I did the Windows patching, still doesn't get recognized by OSX.
Any ideas? :)

@rysk, What were the issues with the GTX 970 web drivers? Do you think they were related to the MacPro6.1 system definition or something else? I have a GTX 750 TI, and will probably start installing hardware later today. I was however thinking of using the iMac17.1 definition.

@QkY I have the same mobo and PSU as you and the Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter from Apple running UAD Apollo Twin. So far so good but I'm getting a really annoying interference from the computer when recording high gain guitars. Then I can hear the computer working. The pickups in my guitar picks it up. Some sort of Electric/Radio interference. Have you had any troubles with noises with your mobo? I found online that some power saving functions on Gigabyte motherboards cause some random electric/radio spikes/interference. I've been trying for 3 weeks to find a solution but no luck yet.

One more thing. I can never turn on my Apollo and my PC and have it recognize it straight away. I always have to turn them both on, then restart the computer when it's finished booting so it will recognize the Apollo. How do you go on turning the UAD interface on and having the computer connecting to it at first attempt?

- Fannar

@Axelquobe I'm not really sure, but MacPro6,1 probably played a role. I had the GTX 760 and later GTX 970 working in Sierra on my last build with no extreme measures, but that was an iMac14,2 sysdef. With the new MacPro6,1 now it would constantly flip back from "nVidia Web Driver" to "OS X Default Graphics Driver" on reboot, no matter how many guides and Clover "click this, not that" instructions I followed. I honestly have no idea which of the 20 fixes I tried was the one that worked... AGDPfix and Config.plist patching and new Sierra/Clover nVidia boot switch were probably the ones that did it. (As well as completely disabling the onboard HD530 graphics, nothing but issues and glitches before that.)

lebuild17.png

AGDPfix and a few config.plist patches did the trick for me :). First ended up with the gpu going to sleep after the boot sequence with an iMac 17.1 sysdef, but now everything is up and running smoothly.

I have issues shutting down the hack from the apple menu, i.e. Reboots upon touching the keyboard (yup, wake on keyboard is deactivated), but that's pretty much my only remaining issue. RME UFX up and running nicely with a 2 ms roundtrip latency!

now everything is up and running smoothly
Do you also have Thunderbolt working? When I boot into Windows, that little Zoom interface that I borrowed for testing will be recognized and connected, although it doesn't work (because it's Mac only). In macOS... nada. Tried connecting and booting, tried hotplugging, nothing. Using the 35€ Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter.

I have a similar build with an Z170x Gaming 7 rev 1.0. The only serious problem is that the Apollo 8 disconnects after a few seconds. Sometimes it works and keep working without issues until I am forced to reboot/shutdown. I am using the StaTech TB3 > TB2 adapter.

Any advice?

Last edited:
@rysk, Good point! When I said everything is running smoothly, I haven't actually tried and tested TB; completely forgot about that. Don't have any TB gear lying around, but I could ask around to see if I could borrow something just to try it out. When installing the hack I proceeded in the following order:

1. Installed all the hardware
2. Only connected an old SATA HDD
3. Updated the BIOS to F21
4. Changed the BIOS settings according to this guide (with the exception of disabling igfx and enabling PCI1 gfx)
5. Installed a 90 day trial of win10 enterprise
6. Installed the TB flasher tool
7. Flashed the firmware to the TB controller
8. Shut down, and removed the power cord for about a minute
9. Disconnected the SATA drive (i.e. no windows needed anymore)
10. Connected my 250 Gb SSD (boot) and 500 Gb SSD (storage)
11. Installed Sierra using Unibeast etc...

Just haven't verified whether TB is actually working or not. o_O

I figured that getting TB in order before doing anything mac- related would be the go, but we'll see when I actually have a chance to try it out.

...The only serious problem is that the Apollo 8 disconnects after a few seconds. Sometimes it works and keep working without issues until I am forced to reboot/shutdown. I am using the StaTech TB3 > TB2 adapter.

Any advice?

...maybe it is a technical problem because the tiny USB-C / Thunderbolt jack bears the load of the heavy adapter and so it has not a good connection!? I take a cable strap to prevent this...

Attachments

• IMG_0588_Hinweis.jpg
    IMG_0588_Hinweis.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 244
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back