Contribute
Register

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

Yes I agree. Before you start the Win10 media creation tool,
format your USB as fat format with a GUID partition map
in DiskUtil. I find the media creation tool sometimes fails
when your run it off your Win10 hard drive, and works better
if you move it onto your USB before you start it.

Thanks

Ok I found another thread you commented on and used this method:

Success! Thank you.

Yes, it is possible, but the Clover team stopped supporting Clover with 10.15.1 or .2 (I forget which)

What? Clover team stopped supporting Clover? :(

Yes. Just as Clover replaced Chameleon, OpenCore is replacing Clover.

I poked around some more and got this explanation from @trs96 :

Clover is still being developed. It's Acidanthera that makes things like WEG and Lilu. They are not supporting Clover on AMD systems anymore

Anyone using Radeon cards all of a sudden having trouble in Win? As of today when I try to use 2 monitors one goes black and then the remaining monitor looks like it's switching between 1 and 2 monitors every few seconds. Kinda makes everything unusable....I hadn't changed any settings or drivers - I think there was a Win update though?

Dear all,
I had an old snow leopard dual boot single disk setup. I'm throwing it away to update to more modern hardware.
I'm weighing up the difference between single disk or multi-disk.

Context: I recently got malware on my single disk windows partition which kept shutting down windows before I logged in. It was going to mean I was going to lose all the data on the windows drive.
However, because it was on the same disk as my OSX, I was able to access the drive from OSX and copy the critical content.
I'm wondering if I would be able to do the same if the OSs were on separate disks or not? Plus any other pros and cons (I read that multi disk was preferred, but why?)

Dear all,
I had an old snow leopard dual boot single disk setup. I'm throwing it away to update to more modern hardware.
I'm weighing up the difference between single disk or multi-disk.

Context: I recently got malware on my single disk windows partition which kept shutting down windows before I logged in. It was going to mean I was going to lose all the data on the windows drive.
However, because it was on the same disk as my OSX, I was able to access the drive from OSX and copy the critical content.
I'm wondering if I would be able to do the same if the OSs were on separate disks or not? Plus any other pros and cons (I read that multi disk was preferred, but why?)
For precisely the reason you state separate drives are preferred. What if the malware on the Windows partition corrupted the Mac OS partition?
Also, Windows 10 has a bad habit of taking over/re-writing the EFI partition while installing/updating and can make your clover boot loader inoperable. Best to leave it on its own drive.
With separate drives for Mac OS and Windows it is still possible for Mas OS to read a Win10 drive and copy files from Win10 to Mac, but Mac cannot write to Win10 without 3rd party software, which sometimes corrupts the file so Windows cannot open it. Best to have a >1TB drive formatted FAT32 to share files as both Mac OS and Win10 read this format natively.

Incredibly clear and helpful. Two follow ups:
-from OSX will the win drive be viewable natively on finder, just as another drive?
-Any reason for why >1tb? I have old drives around to use

Back