Contribute
Register

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

There is something I'm not understanding about Clover EFI, I am trying to install ubuntu 16.04 after successfully install Sierra, but at my bios there is this option to boot from USB but load clover screen and boots in Sierra, can you help me please?
You must make sure to create the Ubuntu installer for UEFI install.

Dear all,

Many thanks in advance for sharing all your knowledge here. Without this community i would not have dared to start this "project".

I finally have all the pieces together for my first Hackintosh.

I've read here a lot during the past three weeks.

My Hackintosh has 2 SSD drives, one Samsung 850 and one Samsung 950 (NVME).

The plan is to have Windows 10 on the Samsung 850 and Sierra on the Samsung 950.
However, if someone strongly suggests against this, I am flexible to do it the other way round.

From reading several threads I understand the following:

- always recommended to disconnect the hard drive I do not want to install on.
- doesn't really matter if I start with Windows 10 or macOS Sierra.
- given my Z170N-Wifi motherboard, I shall install everything in UEFI

I played around bit today and installed both OS several times with mixed success.
Oddly enough, i do not seem to see the Samsung 950 in the BIOS, however, i see it in Windows as well as in Sierra. (even though I believe I saw it in the BIOS in the beginning and I can't recall having changed anything).

I know a lot more about Windows than I do about Sierra, so my question is can I fully install my Windows with all applications and then still install and potentially re-install Sierra as I imagine I will need several attempts to get it right?

Obviously it is a bit harder to disconnect the NVME SDD, so ideally i would not need to do this again and again.

Many thanks again for your kind advice!

Regards,
Matthias

Since the NVMe SSD is not bootable natively for OS X, suggest you use the NVMe SSD for Windows and the other for OS X.
This allows you to install Windows on the NVMe and get it up and running with all of your 3rd party software and use it as much as you want. Then you can just connect the cables to the 850 and continue the install of Sierra without bothering the Windows drive. Just be very careful not to "accidentally" format the Windows drive when you format the 850 for Sierra.

I'm hoping to setup my system to dual boot Win 10 on separate drives.

Currently I'm running Sierra 10.12.1 on an NVMe without any problems

My question is, if I want to add Windows 10 to another drive, do I need to remove the NVMe with Sierra while doing the Windows install?

I'm really happy with the way Sierra is running, and it took a bit of tweaking. Does installing Windows run the risk of messing up my Sierra install or f'ing with Clover to the point that I can't boot OSX? Using a GTX 950, will that take more work to setup so it runs in both win/osx?

Sorry, trying to figure out what I'm doing over here in regard to dual boot.

thanks

It is not required to disconnect/remove the OS X drive in order to install Windows.
It is recommended, especially if the drives are the same model, to disconnect the one not currently installing to prevent mistakes like installing Windows on top of your OS X instead of the Windows drive you should have formatted.
Since you have only one NVMe drive (?) this is not likely to happen.

It is not required to disconnect/remove the OS X drive in order to install Windows.
It is recommended, especially if the drives are the same model, to disconnect the one not currently installing to prevent mistakes like installing Windows on top of your OS X instead of the Windows drive you should have formatted.
Since you have only one NVMe drive (?) this is not likely to happen.

Thanks. Yeah I wouldn't accidentally install, I was just unsure if there was another reason for ejecting the osx drive.

I'm getting an error on Win10 install:
"Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation."

Any ideas?

Should mention, not installing to an SSD. Could it be a hardware problem because the drive is a bit older?

Thanks. Yeah I wouldn't accidentally install, I was just unsure if there was another reason for ejecting the osx drive.

I'm getting an error on Win10 install:
"Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation."

Any ideas?
Without your hardware info (Rules require it to be entered into your profile - see mine for example) impossible to diagnose problem with certainty.

Without your hardware info (Rules require it to be entered into your profile - see mine for example) impossible to diagnose problem with certainty.

Thanks. Managed to get a good Win10 install. I had to change from ACHI during the install... Changed everything back in BIOS to function with OSX again. Both boots are working.

However, having a major problem now with my Sierra NVMe drive. It's running incredibly slow.. taking me a minute or so to boot and super laggy. Graphics are fine though.

Any suggestions? Could the win install have messed with my NVMe?

Tempted to just try and reinstall Sierra with the Win drive disabled and see if that helps...

Back