Contribute
Register

[Guide] MultiBooting for the novice. Updated 3/12 see log

Status
Not open for further replies.
inflatablemouse said:
After reading this and some other posts about multibooting, I still have a simple question :).

If I use my BIOS boot selection screen to select a hard disk, is it possible to boot Windows 7 from my 1st drive (SSD) and use another HDD with OS X on it, without all the multiboot mods described above?

To elaborate, I have win7 installed on an SSD. I temporarily unplug it and install OSX on a separate HDD after setting the drive to disk 1 in the BIOS. When oSX runs, I plug in the SSD and use the BIOS boot screen to boot either hard disk.

Would that work or not?

You could try using the F8 method at boot to get to the boot selection screen, then select your SSD to boot from Windows.

inflatablemouse said:
After reading this and some other posts about multibooting, I still have a simple question :).

If I use my BIOS boot selection screen to select a hard disk, is it possible to boot Windows 7 from my 1st drive (SSD) and use another HDD with OS X on it, without all the multiboot mods described above?

To elaborate, I have win7 installed on an SSD. I temporarily unplug it and install OSX on a separate HDD after setting the drive to disk 1 in the BIOS. When oSX runs, I plug in the SSD and use the BIOS boot screen to boot either hard disk.

Would that work or not?
You can, if you want to, hit F11 at the first BIOS post screen to enter the boot menu and select which HDD you want to boot from. There is nothing wrong with doing it this way - you just have to be fast enough to hit that F11 key during the first post screen.

Most people, however, find it easier to just use Chimera / Chameleon as a boot loader and hit a key at the timeout screen or use instant menu in the org.chameleon.boot.plist to stop the timer and show icons to select an OS to boot.

Thanks.

I realize a bootloader would be easiest but I have already Windows installed and I don't want to go through the process of imaging/restoring or even risk having to reinstall because something doesn't go as planned.

The BIOS bootscreen I think is the safest route to try it out.

If I can it to work properly and I'm happy with it, I might consider the bootloader once I feel like reinstalling Windows again.

Hey, this is my first post here. I'm currently acquiring parts to build up my new hackintosh to replace my clunker of a PC, and I am wanting to dual boot win7 and Lion.

I want to use the two separate hard drive way. I already have win7 installed on the HDD in my PC and want to use that (250GB). Is just plugging that in and updating drivers possible or do I need to do a clean install on the new machine?

I would then get a 1TB HDD for OSX and install lion via UniBeast. From what I understand in the guide is that if I install the Instant Menu via MultiBeast and set up the OSX drive to boot first in the BIOS I will get the option to choose what to boot into from start up?

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, just if its true I will be amazed because It seems so easy haha.

inflatablemouse said:
Thanks.

I realize a bootloader would be easiest but I have already Windows installed and I don't want to go through the process of imaging/restoring or even risk having to reinstall because something doesn't go as planned.

The BIOS bootscreen I think is the safest route to try it out.

If I can it to work properly and I'm happy with it, I might consider the bootloader once I feel like reinstalling Windows again.
That is why I prefer separate drives - 1 for each OS. Then the Chimera/Chameleon boot loader will boot any of them if you set them up correctly from the start.

adamneely said:
Hey, this is my first post here. I'm currently acquiring parts to build up my new hackintosh to replace my clunker of a PC, and I am wanting to dual boot win7 and Lion.

I want to use the two separate hard drive way. I already have win7 installed on the HDD in my PC and want to use that (250GB). Is just plugging that in and updating drivers possible or do I need to do a clean install on the new machine?

I would then get a 1TB HDD for OSX and install lion via UniBeast. From what I understand in the guide is that if I install the Instant Menu via MultiBeast and set up the OSX drive to boot first in the BIOS I will get the option to choose what to boot into from start up?

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, just if its true I will be amazed because It seems so easy haha.
To move your Win7 install to a new computer without the hassle of the anti-piracy crap preventing you from booting your drive see http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/13 ... puter.html

I've got a question if I may.

I have successfully built my Lion PC using a SL Retail DVD, iBoot/Mutlibeast setup & then upgraded to Lion. Running great for a month or so now.

I'd like to now tackle getting my Win7 install back on another partition. 2nd partition ready to go & I'm about to start my Win7 DVD install.

The guide seems pretty straightforward; however, what I'm concerned with is that I thought iBoot doesn't work with a Lion install? Will I still be able to boot the iBoot disc to fix Chimera?

osburnfamily said:
I've got a question if I may.

I have successfully built my Lion PC using a SL Retail DVD, iBoot/Mutlibeast setup & then upgraded to Lion. Running great for a month or so now.

I'd like to now tackle getting my Win7 install back on another partition. 2nd partition ready to go & I'm about to start my Win7 DVD install.

The guide seems pretty straightforward; however, what I'm concerned with is that I thought iBoot doesn't work with a Lion install? Will I still be able to boot the iBoot disc to fix Chimera?
No, use rBoot or the UniBeast USB - iBoot doesn't work with Lion.

First and foremost-- THANK YOU for this guide-- and all the other awesome info here-- I now have a working DualBoot Lion / Windows 7 install!!! :thumbup:

I have one more question about dual booting though it may be more appropriate elsewhere.

To complete my Mac transition, I purchase a new official Mac aluminum keyboard (newest version wired aluminum with 10key usb), a mac mouse (standard USB with button wheel & secondary button support), and a magic trackpad.

Here's my trouble: When booting, the Chimera boot loader doesn't seem to recognize the Apply USB keyboard-- however, it does recognize a standard PC usb keyboard. Is this normal & is there a way around it so I don't have to have an old USB keyboard plugged in and tucked away just to boot into Windows?

Thanks much!

osburnfamily said:
First and foremost-- THANK YOU for this guide-- and all the other awesome info here-- I now have a working DualBoot Lion / Windows 7 install!!! :thumbup:

I have one more question about dual booting though it may be more appropriate elsewhere.

To complete my Mac transition, I purchase a new official Mac aluminum keyboard (newest version wired aluminum with 10key usb), a mac mouse (standard USB with button wheel & secondary button support), and a magic trackpad.

Here's my trouble: When booting, the Chimera boot loader doesn't seem to recognize the Apply USB keyboard-- however, it does recognize a standard PC usb keyboard. Is this normal & is there a way around it so I don't have to have an old USB keyboard plugged in and tucked away just to boot into Windows?

Thanks much!
In BIOS, make sure Legacy USB is enabled and, if possible, disable PS/2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back