Contribute
Register

[Guide] MultiBooting for the novice. Updated 3/12 see log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [Guide] MultiBooting for the novice.

Note that Windows 7 has an issue with hibernate when using multiple partitions.

Windows 7 must be in the active partition in order to hibernate to operate properly. Not only hibernate will not work, but also Service Pack 1 will not install properly if Windows 7 partition is not flagged as active.

Issue is also described in the thread below:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... a494920fd1

It took me a little while to figure out was happening with my Win7 install...

Alas, great tip with the Win7 time/clock adjustment.

i got problem after installing win7 on working lion os. im trying to install chimera. but iboot wont work under lion, does any other way to install chimera without using iboot?

iBoot should boot if you force the BIOS to boot from the DVD drive. Then, you can boot into Lion and either run MultiBeast again (which automatically reinstalls Chimera) or just install Chimera. It's also always smart to run the System Utilities (in MulitBeast) or Kext Utility, both of which fix permissions, after installing tonymacx86 s/w.

thanks for reply, i can boot iboot from dvd. but every time i hit enter on lion hdd it give me kernel panic. but never mind, i did fresh install so now all working like a charm :D thanks

I had asked a question about Multibeast not completing problems I had in another subforum.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34402&p=216965#p216965

I hope you experts can help me understand my big problem with Multibeast not completing.
I posted extracts of logs with error messages which I don't understand in those posts.

FYI:I have been using my dual boot configuration for about a year. With many upgrades and changes of video cards, I have executed Multibeast numerous time without any problems.
I built OSX[GUID] first on a 1TB HDD internal drive. I built WIN 7[NFTS] on another HDD internal drive while the OSX build was disconnected.

For about a year I have had both 1TB OSX HDD and 300MB NFTS HDD connected. Sometimes to fix an OSX problem, I have found it necessary to disconnect the WIN 7 HDD.

I have just been told that the Chameleon Partition Menu is supposed to show icons for bootable partitions only. Mine shows ALL connected HDDs: bootable, non-bootable,internal,external, GUID, MBR-NFTS
. Might that suggest something about my dual-boot configuration problems. I have only 2 internal HDDs but many externals with backups and stuff.

I have just purchased a new 1.5 TB internal HDD. Thus I can reconfigure my build including the new HDD using Carbon Copy Clone if that will fix my awkward setup. I really don't want to re-install of course.

If folks request, I will be pleased to REPOST most of the material from the other subforum thread [linked above] in this thread.

Re: missing bootmgr

Great guide, totally got it working except when I try to boot to windows
It gives me an error that says
" BOOTMGR is missing
Press ctr+alt+del to restart"

Anyone know how to "find" bootmgr?

Windows 7 64 bits on gpt!?

It's happening the following:
I install with 3 partitions (EFI + 7 + Snow). But I want to do with 6 partitions (EFI + 7 + Snow + Data + Linux + Linux Swap).

The only windows install with only three partitions (EFI + 7 + Snow). So the windows installed perfectly.

Except that when I configured the other partitions, windows miscarried. BCD boot gave error and did not allow resettlement (This message: Windows can not be installed on the disk format gpt).

Can anything be done? If I use EasyBCD to modify the BCD windows 7 x64, I get the boot working after setting up the other partitions?

What about reinstalling windows, I'll be without it, after setting up the other partitions?

I know that MBR does not create more than 4 primary partitions. Is that it interfered with the windows? Because I have set up partitions on gpt 6. The windows installed because it was a hybrid MBR, is that when I set up the other partitions, the windows but did not see the MBR hybrid?

Grub will install the linux partition. I will use the Chameleon as bootloader.

Note: I did not create the EFI partition, only I am quoting her because she is there.

Obrigado.

Thanks for the guide. What should I do if I buy a laptop that already has Win7 on it and I just want to add OSX? Your guide starts with OSX and then adds Win7. Should I just make backup discs for Win7 and do a fresh install?

The best guide ever, I live by this guide.. always relate back to it but I know the steps pretty much imprinted in my brain :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back