Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Lion on Sony Vaio SA/SB/SE (VPCSA/SB/SE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
jaymonkey said:
@vijaypatel

Since this thread is really only for the Sony S series it is unlikely that our DSDT will work for you. However we might be able help you, but we will need some low level hardware info on your laptop.

Some of the info can be gained from windows, but we need to use Linux as it gets much 'lower' in the hardware and shows the info that is generally hidden from users in Windows 7.

The easiest and best way to get this info is to use a Bootable Linux Live USB

Either Fodera or Ubuntu seems to work well with Sony Vaio.
This is a good link on how to create a Fedora Live USB :-

http://www.linuceum.com/Distros/osFedoraLiveUSB.php

Once you got a bootable live linux, boot into it and open a terminal and run a 'dmesg' command. This will produce a long list of kernel boot messages and from that we will be able to extract what type of hardware devices you have. You will have to pipe (redirect) the output of 'dmesg' to a text file :-

dmesg > linux_boot.txt

Copy the txt file somewhere you can get at it (anther usb stick if you have it is best) If your not familiar with linux then boot back into windows.

Load up your linux_boot.txt file in a text editor and carefully look through it. Your going to be looking for all the hardware device info, it usually is quite easy to sort the device info from all the other stuff. For instance when i ran dmesg on my sony SE the trackpad info looked like this :-

Code:
[ 1.402905] i8042: PNP: PS/2 Controller [PNP0303:PS2K,PNP0f13:PS2M] at 0x60,0x64 irq 1,12
[ 1.405520] serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
[ 1.405525] serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
[ 2.136982] psmouse serio1: synaptics: Touchpad model: 1, fw: 7.4, id: 0x1e0b1, caps: 0xd04773/0xa40000/0xa0400
[ 2.172039] input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input3

You need to cut and paste or trim the file so that your just left with the important hardware & device info. I know this might seem like a lot to take in but we have all had to do it. Getting OSX running is never straight forward, and its always an extra pain in the butt when doing for laptops.

In the above example the key to making the trackpad working (for the SE only) was [PNP0303:pS2K,PNP0f13:pS2M] it is this sort of info you need to use to modify the 'info.plist' in kext's to get the driver to load.

Once you know what the device name match strings are you may find that someone has already done the hard work for you

We will do our best to help you but we need much more information.

You can also use the Linux Live OS to dump you DSDT which is the starting point for creating a custom DSDT for install OSX, which you may or may not need. You dont specify how much of your OSX (if any) is working.

@Cyberwalrus might be able to guide you on the DSDT side of things.

Hope this help
Jay

@jaymonkey

First of all thank you very much for such a quick response.

I am not that expert but still i have followed your instuctions and got the ubuntu 9.04 live envioenment and run the command you asked.

I tried to filter the exported text file but m not able to decide what should be included and what not..

So sorry for being not following that insturction and sending you complete log attached.

Also i am sending you specificiation link for the model i have

http://www.sony.co.in/product/vpceh36en

Thank you in advance.

Vijay Patel

Attachments

• linux_boot.txt
    45.2 KB · Views: 206
I have problems with the monitor in a dark can you tell me how to make it brighter

of the time the computer goes kp but I do not know why

Hey, thanks for you all of your hard work!

I got Sony VPCSE13FX.
Just finished installing, it went fine. The problem is that after MultiBeast, I get errors on boot....

boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: GPT
boot0: error_

Any idea?

Booting from UniBeast still works, the error only happens when I boot without the USB.

EDIT: I solved the issue using this guide: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=61081

Thanks for your help

SE 15' Full HD -- VPCSE13FX -- Works OK but can only boot from USB

I installed 10.7.4 with UniBeast 1.30, added the 1920 DSDT to /Extra. Installed on a SSD in the DVD bay. Installation went smooth.

After booting into Lion from USB, sound, webcam, laptop keyboard and mouse not working. USB works with the Unibeast stick, but freeze the machine when put any USB stick in. External USB keyboard/mouse works.

Used MultiBeast 4.5.2 to install TRIM Enabler, FakeSMC and plugins, IOUSBFamily Rollback and Bootloader. Also installed the AppleHDA, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and IOPlatformPluginFamily within the power.zip, all downloaded from earlier pages of this thread, as well as VoodooBattery and VoodooPS2Controller from VAIOPACK.

Now the following parts works 1) screen, full HD 2) ethernet 3) sound 4) laptop keyboard and trackpad 5) webcam 6) bluetooth.

Not sure if power management works, but cannot put the machine into sleep, screen just went black but you can hear the machine is not turned off with light on.

I used to have Linux and Windows dual boot with Grub2.

It is interesting to note the boot behavior. Booting from UniBeast USB works fine, but it only sees the Windows and OS X boot partition and won't recognize the Linux one. BIOS does not see the second drive. The SSD disk is seen by all 3 OSes. However it won't boot from the SSD even if I put internal DVD drive ahead of internal HD.partition.

I did a upgate-grub in Linux so booting from OSX on sdb appeared on the grub2 menu list. But choosing the option from the menu did not work, accidentally I found that tying a "c" (for command line) and then "exit" get me into the bootloader screen. Pick "OS X" partition with the "-v" option, same kind of messages as booting from USB, but instead of getting the gray login screen, get into a blank screen, after about the same time.

So my question is why the booting behavior different between bootloader on USB and on the SSD? How to make booting from the SSD work?

Hey
How I can have the battery status enabled in the status bar?
Right now I have no indication what's the battery status?

I've tried to check the "Show battery status in the status bar" in the battery settings of OS X, but it doesn't do anything.

Thanks!

pgh550 said:
SE 15' Full HD -- VPCSE13FX -- Works OK but can only boot from USB

I installed 10.7.4 with UniBeast 1.30, added the 1920 DSDT to /Extra. Installed on a SSD in the DVD bay. Installation went smooth.

After booting into Lion from USB, sound, webcam, laptop keyboard and mouse not working. USB works with the Unibeast stick, but freeze the machine when put any USB stick in. External USB keyboard/mouse works.

Used MultiBeast 4.5.2 to install TRIM Enabler, FakeSMC and plugins, IOUSBFamily Rollback and Bootloader. Also installed the AppleHDA, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and IOPlatformPluginFamily within the power.zip, all downloaded from earlier pages of this thread, as well as VoodooBattery and VoodooPS2Controller from VAIOPACK.

Now the following parts works 1) screen, full HD 2) ethernet 3) sound 4) laptop keyboard and trackpad 5) webcam 6) bluetooth.

Not sure if power management works, but cannot put the machine into sleep, screen just went black but you can hear the machine is not turned off with light on.

I used to have Linux and Windows dual boot with Grub2.

It is interesting to note the boot behavior. Booting from UniBeast USB works fine, but it only sees the Windows and OS X boot partition and won't recognize the Linux one. BIOS does not see the second drive. The SSD disk is seen by all 3 OSes. However it won't boot from the SSD even if I put internal DVD drive ahead of internal HD.partition.

I did a upgate-grub in Linux so booting from OSX on sdb appeared on the grub2 menu list. But choosing the option from the menu did not work, accidentally I found that tying a "c" (for command line) and then "exit" get me into the bootloader screen. Pick "OS X" partition with the "-v" option, same kind of messages as booting from USB, but instead of getting the gray login screen, get into a blank screen, after about the same time.

So my question is why the booting behavior different between bootloader on USB and on the SSD? How to make booting from the SSD work?

Im not sure what "power.zip" you used, but all the latest info needed for proper CPU power management is in the first post and the pack. All those kexts you installed for power management are outdated and will not work with 10.7.4. You will need to restore the kexts from backups, and then follow the instructions from the top of the first post, execpt you wont need to use nullcpupowermanagement. Just install the correct power management kext with multibeast, install the ssdt, and everything should be fine. The kexts from the pack should be all you need.

Also, I'm pretty sure IOUSB rollbacks are not needed, even on the SE. They certainly aren't needed on the SA/SB.

Regarding boot, the setup I have at the moment is pretty "optimal". Lion disk is partitioned as MBR, with the mac partition set as active. Chimera is installed on the lion disk. Windows and linux are on a separate disk, with no partitions set as active. I use syslinux for linux, which is only installed to the partition, not the mbr. The windows bootloader is in the mbr. The laptop then boots straight into chameleon, which can see both disks, and can boot mac, windows, and chainload syslinux for linux.
zurih said:
Hey
How I can have the battery status enabled in the status bar?
Right now I have no indication what's the battery status?

I've tried to check the "Show battery status in the status bar" in the battery settings of OS X, but it doesn't do anything.

Thanks!

Currently its broken, something changed in 10.7.4 and battery is a bugger to fix, so I haven't got around to it yet.

pgh550 said:
A question for jaymonkey.

Did you change the SE internal wifi card? I am trying to get some instructions to do this. Is it easy?

Also I found these cards on the Chinese Taobao site (kind of ebay): AR9287 (http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=5377874665), AR9280 (http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8718470911), AR9285 with Bluetooth (http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=13564537956).

Which one is a better choice? The one with bluetooth seems made for HP. Can it still be used?

Hi phg550

Welcome to our little (growing) thread.

Yes I did change the wifi card in my SE2, but after looking around at the options i went with what @Cyberwalrus suggested on page one which is an ATHEROS AR9287. I had a few initial kext problems but if you use the DSDT and kexts in the latest pack you will have no problems.

It is very easy to replace. The wifi card is situated right next to the spare RAM slot, just be carefull with the two aerial connectors, other than that it is dead easy.

Be aware that if you change the wift card you will losse all the Intel wifi features such as the wifi display and the internal bluetooth.

I've looked into to all the alternatives that you suggest plus some others to get internal wifi and bluetooth but none of them will give you both, just wifi not bluetooth.

It depends on what will be your primary OS, for me it is OSX so I went with the ATHEROS AR9287 and bought a Belkin Mini USB Bluetooth Adapter F8T016NG, and works OTB. If you use windows with the intel wifi display and bluetooth a lot then maybe a usb wifi dongle maybe a better option for you.

I have not updated to OSX 10.7.4, I think it introduces many changes to the power management. @cyberwalrus & @wadalada have done a great job getting the P states working well in the DSDT and the new SSDT but battery management still seems to be a problem. I may try to give it a go later in the week and see if i can get it working better but for me 10.7.3 is rock solid like my tag line says, If it ant broke dont try and fix it.

Let me know how you get on.
Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the reply.

By the way, anyway to increase the brightness of the display? It's just too dark I think. Maybe a software solution of some sort?

Also, the sleep doesn't seem to work for me. It just goes to a black screen but the laptop is still on. Anyway to resolve this?

Thanks

vijaypatel said:
@jaymonkey

First of all thank you very much for such a quick response.

I am not that expert but still i have followed your instuctions and got the ubuntu 9.04 live envioenment and run the command you asked.

I tried to filter the exported text file but m not able to decide what should be included and what not..

So sorry for being not following that insturction and sending you complete log attached.

Also i am sending you specificiation link for the model i have

http://www.sony.co.in/product/vpceh36en

Thank you in advance.

Vijay Patel

@vijaypatel

Sorry for such a late reply, but well done for getting a bootable Live Linux and generating a kernel boot dump. Linux is an invaluable tool in debugging your hardware and getting OSX to work.

Ok your system is basically a Sony Vaio E series,

What I can tell you from your Kernel Boot dump file is is the Following :-

1. Your webcam should work fine OTB

2. I believe that your touchpad is the ALPS variety, as far as I know we still have not been able to get this working properly as a touch panel, only as a PS2 mouse device using voodoo kext. @Cyberwalrus has started to make some progress but the Alps device its self has very poor gesture suport OTB

I cant really give you much more help because the 'E' series is quite a bit different to the 'S' series, You might have to make some custom changes to disable the Nvidia chipset to save power in the DSDT, however there is a new member called @uksoundz, he has the same basic spec as your machine ('E' Series) so he might be your best bet. Maybe PM to see how he is getting on ?, I think @Cyberwalrus was helping him out so there is a good chance he might have a working DSDT.

Sorry I cant help you much, but dont give up, we all try to help each other here
Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back