Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Y580 - Sierra (10.12) using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
clover will only read config.plist not config 1366x768.plist etc

upload your own problem reporting files here please

I renamed the .plist file and everything worked flawlessly, thank you.

However, I used it for a week and everything worked very well, but the one day when I turned it on, I guess the brightness was turned all the way down and i can't seem to turn it back on. I know it still works, because it shows just fine on external monitor.

I didn't get the brightness function keys working, and when trying to move the brightness slider in settings with external monitor, it doesn't work and is set on max.

The internal monitor gradually dims to pitch black at about 2/3 into loading the OS (Apple logo loading bar). Brightness is fine in safe mode. Do you have any idea what to do about this? Thanks again.

I renamed the .plist file and everything worked flawlessly, thank you.

However, I used it for a week and everything worked very well, but the one day when I turned it on, I guess the brightness was turned all the way down and i can't seem to turn it back on. I know it still works, because it shows just fine on external monitor.

I didn't get the brightness function keys working, and when trying to move the brightness slider in settings with external monitor, it doesn't work and is set on max.

The internal monitor gradually dims to pitch black at about 2/3 into loading the OS (Apple logo loading bar). Brightness is fine in safe mode. Do you have any idea what to do about this? Thanks again.

Clear nvram:
Code:
sudo nvram -c

Then reboot.

Then... get on with fixing your brightness keys.

Clear nvram:
Code:
sudo nvram -c

Then reboot.

Then... get on with fixing your brightness keys.

clearing nvram didn't fix it, it still turns off the internal monitor

Any idea as to how to install High Sierra from scratch? :) It seems like this year we won't get a guide :/.

Ok, finally getting to it. Swapped my DVD with an 128GB SSD in the bay, then tried to follow the OP by the letter but now I can't figure out how to boot from USB. (Of course I started up, hit F12, selected the USB drive).

So there are a few things I can't wrap my head around...

First, you wrote:

c. Now type this in the terminal: change X to the right USB /dev/disk
Code (Text):

Code:
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/diskX 2 MBR FAT32 "CLOVER EFI" 200Mi HFS+J "install_osx" R

How come it says MBR and not GPT? Does it matter? Sounds strange to create a "Clover EFI" partition on a drive with a MBR partition table.

Trying to boot, it would tell me sth like "no bootable device found". Then I booted into another Linux Mint stick and set the Clover EFI Partition to bootable via "disks". So, that's the second question: How come it wasn't "bootable" before? Isn't that necessary?

However, when I do that it seems to go one step further, but I end up with a black screen and a blinking underscore. I tried booting from all USB ports, to no avail. Switching the "bootable" flag back off, the behaviour remains the same. So, now I'm thinking setting that flag was counter productive to begin with.

My Non-Standard Hardware:
  • compatible WIFI PCI-E BCM94322HM8L DW1510
  • a while ago I forgot to put back some other network card, but never seemed to need it anyway
  • SSD via DVD bay
BIOS settings:
  • Unlocked BIOS version: for DW1510 support
  • UEFI Boot: Enabled
  • Graphic Device: UMA Graphic
  • SATA Controller Mode: AHCI
Any help appreciated.

Ok, so I managed to boot from a stick created with latest Multibeast. However, Once I'm through with the installation, I don't have a clue as to how to install clover onto my drive's EFI.

For now, whatever I tried, OSX was stuck on boot which, for me at this point, practically means to try the full install again.

Installing clover from the post-install package from the OP does not appear to work, presumably because that's an older version than the one I installed osx with.

Besides "installation failed" I get shown this message in another small popup, for which I have no clue what to do:

Non-Vanilla DSDT! CAN’T FInD

If you see this warning message, that means:
You haven't pressed F4 at Clover screen.
If you want to make yourself a new patched DSDT, you should do the following:
Press F4 at Clover screen
Run Lenovo Y580 Clover Edition again and select correct DSDT options.

Which clover, the one on the usb or the one on the ssd? and if the latter, what exactly should I do so it ends up booting w/o the stick?

So, here's what I don't know:
  • either how to set up the usb drive with latest clover / multibeast while incorporating the necessary components from the OP
    • as I basicallly have no clue how to do that later / one by one, without risking for the system to get stuck on boot and having to start from scratch
    • for one install attempt, I actually did copy the kexts and other presumably "custom" contents from EFI.zip / the clover folder onto the EFI created by multibeast which yielded a bootable USB to install with, but I actually have no clue if that was permissible or whether some stuff should have stayed for the more recent clover version... or what to do post-install to get clover onto the ssd
    • on the 2nd or 3rd install, I actually did brute-copy the contents of EFI.zip over to the EFI partition on the target drive, but boot also got stuck
  • or how to make the instructions from the OP work with only the the tools / files listed there
    • so, the main challenge is: how do I get the USB drive to be bootable / why isn't it?

Update: Perhaps with the 7th install and plenty of fiddling I managed to get it up and running, sound and all.

Used the Multibeast USB and and updated Clover via Clover Configurator as well as removed any 10.xx folders under kexts and only left "Others".

Hit F4 a bunch of times on boot and also did:

Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Enabled the Intel HD 4000 via Clover Configurator as well ...and finally seeing the Anvil effect in action (Keynote)... which, believe it or not, was one of the primary reasons for the exercise. :D

7ADFAF7F-2AF0-4004-952B-5D5D355B4069.jpeg
Hello,

An idiot question:
How do i use Your installer?
I succesfully installed Mac OS Sierra on my laptop, but I have no idea how to run Your installer... please help me.
Thanks, and sorry for my bad english!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back