Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Y50 (UHD or 1080p) using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, first and foremost thanks for the great effort in the guide I got my y50 up and running everything is up and running perfectly, I installed Fake pccid and the broadcom kexts now I am waiting for my wifi card to arrive.
Just 1 question I know that mac os does not support optimus however apple uses a switching method on their macbook 15 inch variants e.g:
Mackbook pro 2014 15 inch with intel iris pro alongside GT750M.
Macbook pro 2013 15 inch intel HD 4000 along side GT 650M.
Now I was wondering if is it possiable to copy thier switching method to get my gtx 960m up and running.
or maybe if I could disable the intel hd 4600 on my laptop and use the dgpu (possibly through custom bios) instead will it work on my hackintosh.
I have my doubt that it will work because there is no driver for gtx 960m for mac and I am not sure if the nivida web driver supports this card.
EDIT:
ignore eveything I said above.
After some research I found out that:
1- Mac's uses a built-in switch called GMUX
2- It might be impossiable that the machine will work if I somehow could manage to disable the igpu because from my understanding the dgpu uses the igpu to output the frames to the display.
So the only way I see it could work
is building something that could use the switch from software just like in windows / linux (using nouveau or
Bumblebee) it would be a possible right?

Last edited:
I installed Fake pccid and the broadcom kexts

They are already installed by download.sh and install_downloads.sh.

Now I was wondering if is it possiable to copy thier switching method to get my gtx 960m up and running.

No.

or maybe if I could disable the intel hd 4600 on my laptop and use the dgpu (possibly through custom bios) instead will it work on my hackintosh.

No.
The hardware for that configuration is not likely there... any custom BIOS you might try will probably brick your laptop in such a configuration.

So the only way I see it could work
is building something that could use the switch from software just like in windows / linux (using nouveau or
Bumblebee) it would be a possible right?

There is probably a software interface to GMUX that higher levels of the system use that could be overridden with a custom kext, assuming the software architecture is appropriate for Optimus. But it probably isn't... and Apple doesn't document the interfaces anyway.

can you tell me how to activate the dGPU on the SSDT-hack I know it won't work I am just tinkering around :p

can you tell me how to activate the dGPU on the SSDT-hack I know it won't work I am just tinkering around :p

The code responsible is this:
Code:
//
// For disabling the discrete GPU
//

External(_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF, MethodObj)
    Device(RMD2)
    {
        Name(_HID, "RMD20000")
        Method(_INI)
        {
            // disable discrete graphics (Nvidia/Radeon) if it is present
            If (CondRefOf(\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF)) { \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF() }
        }
    }

Note that if you remove the _OFF call (or the entire block), your system will probably not boot unless you manage to get the Nvidia drivers to work for it.
eg.. this problem:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-only-ran-for-0-seconds-with-dual-gpu.233092/

You might want to put that code into a separate SSDT, then you can drop it when you need to boot to be able to make adjustmentes.

if you can make it work let us know.

Hey guys, does anybody know if an Bcm94360cs wi-fi/bt card from an old MacBook pro would be compatible with Lenovo y50-70? Just found a second-hand and am wondering whether it's worth it buying since it's not sure if the part works or not. Main reason for considering such a part is that I somehow managed to make the laptop's Bluetooth work out of the box but it goes unavailable when laptop wakes from sleep and I can't use magic keyboard/mouse with it...

Hey guys, does anybody know if an Bcm94360cs wi-fi/bt card from an old MacBook pro would be compatible with Lenovo y50-70?

You would need an adapter and space within the laptop to fit it.

So I did a "fresh install" and I discovered something. With Sierra everything works, including energy saving, instead with High Sierra when I upgrade if I restart the mac does not work the energy saving. It only works if I start it in "verbose mode". It's crazy. I do not mind starting it like that but I would like to understand why.
I also made the cache rebuilt
in config.plist I put -v for the "verbose mode", changed the serial number for imessage, changed the theme. I think these changes can be done. also because I had the same config with sierra.

Attachments

• debug_20923.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
So I did a "fresh install" and I discovered something. With Sierra everything works, including energy saving, instead with High Sierra when I upgrade if I restart the mac does not work the energy saving. It only works if I start it in "verbose mode". It's crazy. I do not mind starting it like that but I would like to understand why.
I also made the cache rebuilt
in config.plist I put -v for the "verbose mode", changed the serial number for imessage, changed the theme. I think these changes can be done. also because I had the same config with sierra.

This is not a fresh install... it shows Karabiner installed.
Had it been a fresh install, Karabiner would not be present.
Do a fresh install, 10.13.3 directly, without installing anything extra.

You should probably check that your SSD firmware is up-to-date.

This is not a fresh install... it shows Karabiner installed.
Had it been a fresh install, Karabiner would not be present.
Do a fresh install, 10.13.3 directly, without installing anything extra.

You should probably check that your SSD firmware is up-to-date.

I have installed Karabiner later. SSD firmware is up-date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back