Graphics
Intel HD5500
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
UPDATE: DO NOT UPDATE TO BIOS 1.12! It sets the DVMT pre-allocated size to 128mb, which makes Yosemite unable to boot!

Hello everyone. Here is my tutorial on how to get everything working on the Lenovo Thinkpad L450 Laptop with Clover and Yosemite 10.10.3! It is a more or less cheap laptop with Broadwell i3,i5 or i7 CPU and Intel HD Graphics 5500. Native Intel wireless will never work, but the cheap Edimax AC-450 usb adapter is working great under Yosemite.

This guide is based on the first released BIOS 1.06 in hope that some day a security hole is found in order to set the DVMT pre-allocated size to 128mb with EFI-Shell. So if you have a higher BIOS version I suggest you to downgrade using Windows which is supported with the official BIOS Setup file from the Lenovo L450 support site. Otherwise I can't guarantee that my DSDT is working for you.

BIOS Settings (thanks to jcsnider)
Start by going to the Restart tab. Make sure OS Optimized Defaults are disabled, and then use the Load Setup Defaults option to reset your bios. Reboot for that to take effect. (Let's make sure we are on the same page).
Go to Config > USB > Set USB 3.0 Mode to Disabled (We will turn it back on after installation.)
Go to Config > Display > Set the total graphics memory to 512mb.
Go to Security > FingerPrint > Set Predesktop Authentication to Disabled (The scanner breaks OSX sleeping so we cannot have it activate when the pc isn't running.)
Go to Security > Memory Protection > Make sure Execution Prevention is enabled.
Go to Security > Virtualization > Make sure both options are disabled.
Go to Startup > UEFI/Legacy Boot and Make sure it is set to UEFI only.
In the restart tab, hit save changes and exit.

So first create a Clover USB installer with the modded VoodooPS2Controller_X1Carbon.kext (thanks to jcsnider!), IntelMausiEthernet.kext and FakeSMC.kext. Select UEFI booting, OSXAptioFixDrv and replace VBOXHFS with HFSPLUS.efi
The config.plist can be left plain vanilla, as it does not crash. Don't fear of the graphics glitches. This is normal during the installation and we will fix this later as soon as we have installed Yosemite.

Once you have installed Yosemite, boot into your installation with your exisiting usb drive. Plug in your ethernet cable and complete the setup and install clover with the same setting except this time you also install the RC Scripts. Again replace VBOXHFS with HFSPLUS.efi

--So far so standard, now to the custom patches

Dump your DSDT from within Clover using ctrl+F4. Edit it with MaciASL (set the compiler options to ACPI 5.0) and apply the following patches:
[bat] Lenovo X220
[igpu] Brightness Fix (Haswell)
[sys] Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel

and this custom patch (again thanks to jcsnider) (put it in the patch windows of MaciASL)

into method label _Q15 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
Notify(KBD, 0x0205)\n
Notify(KBD, 0x0285)\n
end;
into method label _Q14 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
Notify(KBD, 0x0206)\n
Notify(KBD, 0x0286)\n
end;

Save the file as ACPI Machine Language Format under your Clover/ACPI/Patched/DSDT.aml

Now copy:

ACPIBacklight.kext
ACPIBatteryManager.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
VoodooHDA.kext (latest standard version 287)
VoodoPS2Controller_X1Carbon.kext (modded thanks to jcsnider)

to your Clover/kexts/Other.

Finally use my config.plist in order to fix the DVMT pre-allocated size to avoid graphics glitches

and there you have it! Reboot and you have a fully functional OSX Laptop with native USB3, sleep, power management (C and P states), backlight control and battery indicator!

Attachments

• L450 Files.zip
    662.3 KB · Views: 868
Hi, i have tried this install with success everything was working well with one exception, from time to time the image froze on the screen or it starts to flash so I had to reboot the laptop, this is quite disturbing so I have decided to update to El Capitan when I have read somewhere that the issue with the video card was repaired. Now I have a series of problems meaning that camera and backlight are not working anymore, and whatever I try I could not get the video card to work, it is working better then on the Yosemite but still I get the 4M and no kext loaded no matter what I try. :banghead: - also it seems to work also under v1.15 Bios with Yosemite.

Is there any chance to make this laptop work with El Capitan or resolve the freeze on Yosemite? I have become very attached to OS X and I am using it everyday.

PS: Sorry for my bad english.:oops:

Lenovo Thinkpad L450 with Clover El Capitan

I'm currently installing El Capitan on my L450, and here's what I did differently:

Install Drive:

• I used UniBeast to create the USB
  • Then added VoodoPS2Controller_X1Carbon.kext and IntelMausiEthernet.kext to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • Replaced VBOXHFS-x64.efi with HFSPLUS.efi
  • I needed to add a Memory section to Clover's config.plist (under SMBIOS) [1]
​BIOS:

• There's no Security/FingerPrint section in my BIOS (downgraded to 1.06), so I disabled it in Config/IO Ports
  • I could not get it to work with USB3 disabled, it seems to work just fine on Auto though
Post-Install:

• Followed kaiomatico's steps
    • I had some difficulties getting the BIOS to recognize Clover, but I somehow got it to work. Not sure what exactly made it work though
    • I put the kexts into /System/Library/Extensions instead of the Clover kexts folder (FakeSMC and VoodooPS2 should also go into Clover/kexts though, they're needed for the installer)
    • I needed to get new versions of some of the kexts:
    • I started with a fresh config.plist from RehabMan's Repo:
      • Set Graphics/ig-platform-id to 0x16160002
      • Turned off Legacy Scan
      • Added a custom entry for my Linux install
  • Implemented Power Management (Guide)
    • We need an actual Broadwell smbios for this to work [2]
      • reboot
    • grab ssdtPRGen.sh
      • run it
      • copy the resulting ssdt.aml to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
    • Check if X86PlatformPlugin.kext loads
      • CPU Power Management works now
      • However, the same cannot be said about iGPU PM...
    • We need to apply another patch to the DSDT/SSDTs to get iGPU PM working
      • Apply "[igpu] Rename PCI0.VID to PCI0.IGPU" to DSDT and any SSDT referencing PCI0.VID (In my case SSDT-1 and SSDT-10, you can find out with 'grep -r VID <folder-with-your-ssdt-dsls>')
      • Add the newly patched files to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
      • We now have working iGPU power management!

[1] Memory Section (Reference​):
Code:
<key>Memory</key>
<dict>
    <key>Channels</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>SlotCount</key>
    <integer>2</integer>
    <key>Modules</key>
    <array>
        <dict>
            <key>Frequency</key>
            <string>1600</string>
            <key>Size</key>
            <string>8192</string>
            <key>Slot</key>
            <string>1</string>
            <key>Type</key>
            <string>DDR3</string>
            <key>Vendor</key>
            <string>Samsung</string>
        </dict>
    </array>
</dict>

[2] Broadwell SMBIOS (mostly taken from here):
Code:
<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
        <string>03/24/2015</string>
        <key>BiosVendor</key>
        <string>Apple Inc.</string>
        <key>BiosVersion</key>
        <string>MBP121.88Z.0167.B02.1503241251</string>
        <key>Board-ID</key>
        <string>Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6</string>
        <key>BoardManufacturer</key>
        <key>BoardType</key>
        <integer>10</integer>
        <key>BoardVersion</key>
        <string>MacBookPro12,1</string>
        <key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
        <string>MacBook-Aluminum</string>
        <key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
        <key>ChassisType</key>
        <string>08</string>
        <key>Family</key>
        <string>MacBook Pro</string>
        <key>Manufacturer</key>
        <key>Mobile</key>
        <true/>
        <key>ProductName</key>
        <string>MacBookPro12,1</string>
        <key>Trust</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Version</key>
        <string>1.0</string>

So far, everything works except:
  • WiFi (obviously)
  • Sleep
  • Battery charging (AC) indicator doesn't show sometimes.
    • More specifically when booting with 100% and AC plugged in.
  • Possibly anything I haven't thought to check

I am on the verge of trying my L450 with Yosemite. It´s good this thread are alive again.

I am also going to try to change the wifi card in my L450 laptop. you can read about it here
http://www.tonymacx86.com/laptop-co...vo-thinkpad-l450-wifi-card-advice-needed.html

I will update with the results later.

This is my first hackintosh laptop, i have only tried this on a desktop maybe 2 years ago with good results.

Having problems downgrading my BIOS from 1.16 to 1.06, you guys have any advice on that?

Having problems downgrading my BIOS from 1.16 to 1.06, you guys have any advice on that?
Do you have downgrades enabled in the bios security tab? Then just use the Windows app to downgrade.

On Another note: Does anyone have tips for getting sleep to work?

P.S.: Maybe use the edit function instead of double posting next time? ;)

Do you have downgrades enabled in the bios security tab? Then just use the Windows app to downgrade.

On Another note: Does anyone have tips for getting sleep to work?

P.S.: Maybe use the edit function instead of double posting next time? ;)

Hi

Yes i have the "Secure RollBack Prevention" option enabled in BIOS security settings but i get the flash to work anyway.

I was able to downgrade from 1.17 to 1.16 but if i try to downgrade to 1.06 from either 1.17 or 1.16 i get the "Secure Flash authentication failed" message when the laptop reboots to execute the BIOS flash. I have tried to force the downgrade flash with winflash64.exe but without any success.

I am still looking for a solution.

What firmware do you guys have? 1.06?

Hi

Yes i have the "Secure RollBack Prevention" option enabled in BIOS security settings but i get the flash to work anyway.

I was able to downgrade from 1.17 to 1.16 but if i try to downgrade to 1.06 from either 1.17 or 1.16 i get the "Secure Flash authentication failed" message when the laptop reboots to execute the BIOS flash. I have tried to force the downgrade flash with winflash64.exe but without any success.

I am still looking for a solution.

What firmware do you guys have? 1.06?

Yeah, I'm on 1.06. I never went past 1.15 or something like that, so I can't comment on 1.16/1.17 though..

I will probably try to upgrade version-by-version until it breaks OS X then backtrack once I have the sleep issue solved.

Yeah, I'm on 1.06. I never went past 1.15 or something like that, so I can't comment on 1.16/1.17 though..

I will probably try to upgrade version-by-version until it breaks OS X then backtrack once I have the sleep issue solved.

Aha, Do not go past 1.16 because from there you cant downgrade if OS X stopp working. And 1.17 have problems with the fan and the CPU gets stuck att 0,77GHz when on battery for me, just so you know.

I am on contact with the Lenovo support now about downgrading my laptop.

i cant get my keyboard and tutchpad to work every thing els works for me EDIT: got it working

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back