Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo G50-80 El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using only verbose mode is not the same as without caches. Without caches also includes verbose.

If you can't boot, show photo.
Here it is. The photo is taken just before the computer is restarting:
IMG_0932.jpg
And these are somewhat earlier:
IMG_0930.jpgIMG_0931.jpg

Here it is. The photo is taken just before the computer is restarting:
View attachment 171306

Problem is panic in the graphics driver. Use the minStolenSize patch or set DVMT-prealloc as required.

The guide in post #1 has instructions for changing DVMT-prealloc. I recommend you look into it.

Problem is panic in the graphics driver. Use the minStolenSize patch or set DVMT-prealloc as required.

The guide in post #1 has instructions for changing DVMT-prealloc. I recommend you look into it.
I couldn't set DVMT-prealloc, because the BIOS (which came with my laptop) is write protected.
I tried to enable the minStolenSize patch, but either I didn't succeed or it had no effect on my system. I posted my plist file in post #30.

I couldn't set DVMT-prealloc, because the BIOS (which came with my laptop) is write protected.

You should roll back your BIOS to a version that does not have the write protection.

You should roll back your BIOS to a version that does not have the write protection.
The earliest BIOS which can be downloaded from Lenovo site is the one, which is now on my laptop. I didn't find an earlier neither on the internet (others were looking - without success - for it already). There for I hoped to be able to bypass the minStolenSize criterion...

The earliest BIOS which can be downloaded from Lenovo site is the one, which is now on my laptop. I didn't find an earlier neither on the internet (others were looking - without success - for it already). There for I hoped to be able to bypass the minStolenSize criterion...

You can try the patch, but it may not work. Keep in mind that when booting with caches, Clover cannot patch a kext that is not in cache. Must boot without caches then rebuild cache upon completed boot.

Look into methods for unlocking BIOS.

Hello,

I recently bought a Lenovo G50-80, and part of my decision to purchase this model was to have read that it is one of the best options in laptops if you want to have a Hackintosh. I prepared myself to go for it and googled a guide to follow, even though I thought it would be as easy as just creating the USB installer with Unibeast and use the appropriate options.

I can see now that there are more things to consider. The BIOS... My Lenovo G50-80 has the B0CN69WW BIOS version, and Windows tells me that the DVMT is 128 MB. So I am right in the same situation as the user ferenc009. I would really like to achieve it and have El Capitan working in my laptop, but before I proceed I want to know that it can be done.

As far as I know right now, my BIOS is locked and the only way to proceed is unlocking it. That requires knowledge that I don't have so I would appreciate if someone can tell me where to keep looking and learning in order to achieve this. It would be great if someone answers to this just giving a link to the B0CN40WW version, but I have seen other users looking for it and they weren't lucky.

By the way, I really appreciate all you do here. You all are really helpful.

Thank you.

and Windows tells me that the DVMT is 128 MB.

Meaningless. I can see you haven't read the FAQ.

IMPORTANT!: Contrary to many of the guides you will read, Windows is NOT a valid way to determine what DVMT-prealloc is set to. There is no correlation, especially with Windows 10.

I am reading it. I am sorry about my clumsyness. I don't find what is the appropriate way to determine the DVMT. I am still reading several posts about the issue and it is a little bit confusing for me as my knowledge is limited.

As far as I have read so far, even though Windows is not accurate to determine the DVMT, the default is 32 MB. so I am assuming that is going to be my value. But I would appreciate to be guided:

- how to get to know this as a certain.
- how to unlock the bios and proceed to change this value to 96 MB. as it seems to be the appropriate one to get to install Mac without problems.

Thank you.

I am reading it. I am sorry about my clumsyness. I don't find what is the appropriate way to determine the DVMT.

After you determine the offset (via BIOS dump, IFR extract), you can use the UEFI shell to query the current value (setup_var <offset>).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back