Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Jerivalu’s Build: Fresh 10.11.5, Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700k, Intel HD 530, Thunderbolt, Dual Boot

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 6
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 04G-P4-3969-KR 4GB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
So, just to follow up...this is a known issue, apparently. Switching over to APFS not only sets up new partitions, but requires some snooping around for UUIDs and partition labels. You can't link directly to the page, but just google "Create Custom Entries to Hide Preboot and Recovery APFS Volumes with Clover Configurator" and you'll find the walkthrough.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you!!!! It didn't solve my problem, but it DID slow the boot/crash sequence down enough for me to see the kext that was failing - CPUSensor. Tracing that down led me to find an OLD FakeSMC loaded in /S/L/E. I killed that, blew out the prelinkedkernel, updated the cache and rebooted. It LOADED! Of course, no nVidia acceleration, so I loaded the Web drivers...and then a black screen :( Used VNC and ran the AGDPFix1.3 and now I have acceleration! The last thing I'm trying to fix now is I can't seem to mount my EFI partition. It looks like 10.13 created a new virt disk on Disk2 for the APFS drive, but my EFI partition is still on the main partition. My goal is to fix Clover so it boots my OSX partition by default. One of my STUPID acts was the "Install Clover on All Partitions" and I think that messed me up.

In theory you shouldn't need AGDPFix anymore, everything should be handled by Lilu+Whatevergreen. It's possible that FakeSMC being both in your S/L/E and /EFI/KEXTS/OTHER could be conflicting, so nuke the one from S/L/E and leave it only in EFI/KEXTS/OTHER and rebuild your kextcache to be sure. Also, booting from clover in verbose mode is known to disable acceleration, (It does on my system and @RehabMan 's as well) so when troubleshooting Nvidia acceleration test with verbose mode disabled. Also, I setup your config.plist and kexts to run the igpu as well, so H264 is being accelerated via quicksync. If you have trouble updating OSX in the future, disable the igpu in your bios when updating, and re-enable it when the update is complete. :)

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 6
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 04G-P4-3969-KR 4GB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I'd assumed that AGDPFix wouldn't be used anymore - I've just gotten accustomed to running it after any security patches. I rebooted a few times, clearing kextcache, etc...to no avail. Once I ran AGDPFix, my box rebooted, and the GUI loaded with full acceleration. kextstat shows that Lilu and Whatevergreen are both loaded :-/

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'd assumed that AGDPFix wouldn't be used anymore - I've just gotten accustomed to running it after any security patches. I rebooted a few times, clearing kextcache, etc...to no avail. Once I ran AGDPFix, my box rebooted, and the GUI loaded with full acceleration. kextstat shows that Lilu and Whatevergreen are both loaded :-/

Could have been a hangover from old NVRAM settings or still active RC scripts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Motherboard
Z170x-UD5 TH
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 970 SC
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
PW8888: my setup is:
Display: Samsung S34E790C
Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 3
Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX
Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 970
Processor: Intel i7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 80+ PLATINUM, 650W ECO
WiFi: TP-LINK N900
HDDs: 2x Samsung EVO 850 SSDs (OS X, Windows 10), 2 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter: StarTech TBT3TBTADAP
Audio Interface: Universal Audio Apollo 8 + Satellite Quad (Thunderbolt)
System Definition: iMac17,1 (had to apply AGDPFix due to NVidia card)

No overclocking. I don't want my fans running any louder in the studio than required. System is plenty fast (for now). Geekbench 3 score below.
View attachment 206929

Kinda old but important for me:

Which OSX are you using right now?
Which DAW?

I'm having almost the same setup, except the TH devices because i still stick to my Focusrite pro 40 connected via Firewire.
My basic problem is that i randomly get a "sound stutter freeze" of my Pro Tools (since 12.5 - 2018.10). That means it just appears that i get a sound like "boob boob boob" and the Mac completly freezes. Hard restart is needed...

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
NVidia GTX 980Ti
I can't speak to the sound card issues, but my Sierra install is still working great on the same computer parts as you have. I have found that it is not (yet) possible to upgrade this hardware system to Mojave, having tried a lot of times with different tools and so far being unsuccessful at getting it to even install.
As much as I love this hardware setup, I'm investigating upgrading to newer CPU, and Mobo parts, but having Thunderbolt necessary makes those choices slimmer.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
RX480
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Which DAW?

I'm having almost the same setup, except the TH devices because i still stick to my Focusrite pro 40 connected via Firewire.
My basic problem is that i randomly get a "sound stutter freeze" of my Pro Tools (since 12.5 - 2018.10). That means it just appears that i get a sound like "boob boob boob" and the Mac completly freezes. Hard restart is needed...

MacOS 10.13.1 With Metric Halo FireWire and ethernet interfaces. Sometimes Lynx Aurora(n) via TB. Main DAW's Logic Pro X.4.2, Cubase Pro 9.5.30, occasionally Waveform, Reaper or Pro Tools HD 12.8

Works quite well, I don't recognize your problem. Maybe try another interface or DAW and see if that changes anything.

Mojave also works, I've upgraded a test SSD with 0 problems. But I will wait for at least X.14.2 before I will even think of upgrading my normal boot SSD.

I really went to town fixing this build properly and it has paid off.

Motherboard
Z170x-UD5 TH
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 970 SC
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
MacOS 10.13.1 With Metric Halo FireWire and ethernet interfaces. Sometimes Lynx Aurora(n) via TB. Main DAW's Logic Pro X.4.2, Cubase Pro 9.5.30, occasionally Waveform, Reaper or Pro Tools HD 12.8

Works quite well, I don't recognize your problem. Maybe try another interface or DAW and see if that changes anything.

Mojave also works, I've upgraded a test SSD with 0 problems. But I will wait for at least X.14.2 before I will even think of upgrading my normal boot SSD.

I really went to town fixing this build properly and it has paid off.

Thank you!! Did u face any problem updating the system to 10.13.1?
Re-installing some clover settings, kexts etc?
Graphic problems? Or did u just install the High Sierra installer?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
RX480
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After I found a cheap RX480, I tried to upgrade from El Cap to Sierra. That didn't work well(black screen after boot), so I decided to give the then brand new HS a try. That worked better, and later I upgraded to 10.13.1 without an issue. this was necessary because there was a problem with the Steinberg software downloader in 10.13.0.
I use whatevergreen for my RX480, works great, I also updated a couple of other kexts. I haven't done a clean install, I will just upgrade a backup with an older system, copy my EFI over, upgrade Clover and some some kexts if necessary , done.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Which DAW?

10.13.6, Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.10, RME ADI-2 Pro (USB). No issues whatsoever, but I don't use Thunderbolt for anything, so that could be a factor.