Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

So...all was going well, as previously reported.

Until I decided I "needed" to upgrade my SSD. Previously had 960 Evo 250GB and switched it out for Adata SX8200 Pro 1TB.

Catalina installs OK and runs great, but doesn't seem to be bootable :/

Any suggestions?

Do you get an error?
Do you get to Clover/OC menu?
Did you copy your EFI folder to the EFI partition on the new SSD?
You can try and boot from a USB with your EFI or just download it from post #894
Be aware that if you recently updated to 10.15.4 you'll need to update some drivers or just use recent EFI from post #894

Do you get an error?
Do you get to Clover/OC menu?
Did you copy your EFI folder to the EFI partition on the new SSD?
You can try and boot from a USB with your EFI or just download it from post #894
Be aware that if you recently updated to 10.15.4 you'll need to update some drivers or just use recent EFI from post #894

@dan111 - thanks for the n00b checklist. I had indeed forgotten to copy the EFI folder to the new SSD :banghead:

Appreciate your help :thumbup:

I think you have an issue with USB port patching for some reason, the best thing you can do is create your own USB-SSDT and it relatively easy to do now following this guide. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

Replace this file SSDT-UIAC.aml in ACPI/patched with your SSDT or place the USBport.kext into the Clover/Kexts/Other folder

Thanks for the tip, will try tonight. In the meantime I tried a fresh install on an evo 970 plus (firmware upgraded) and same issue.

Wow so both HDMI to HDMI and USB-C to DP/HDMI reboots after waking from sleep? (is it reboots like in 10-15 seconds after it wakes from sleep?)
With both OC and Clover EFI? (EFIs from post #894)
Very wired - is this happening since day one?
I just have it when using USB-C to DP (and my main monitor has DP :( )

Yes @dan111 since day one, although now it seems to be always a freeze and before it was a reboot. So not sure if something I changed made that or it's just random. My fresh install produces freezes. My guess is that 'natural' sleeps end up with a reboot and 'forced' sleep produces the freeze.

Will report back after trying my own USB-SSDT

Thanks for the tip, will try tonight. In the meantime I tried a fresh install on an evo 970 plus (firmware upgraded) and same issue.

Yes @dan111 since day one, although now it seems to be always a freeze and before it was a reboot. So not sure if something I changed made that or it's just random. My fresh install produces freezes. My guess is that 'natural' sleeps end up with a reboot and 'forced' sleep produces the freeze.

Will report back after trying my own USB-SSDT
Okay, with that new information I think a sanity check is in order. Can you check your memory specs against intels recommendations? OSX is a little more particular than windows and a freeze could be related. Before you go deeper down the rabbit hole its wirth checking out.

Hello again! Got my replacement NUC back and guess what... The New one has the Same Problem.

Now this is a NUC8I5BEH and to recall your memory I had thought and sworn there was an issue with the USB2.0 Ports.... the system would hang after about 3-4 min but only if something Was Plugged in.. I.E Keyboard/Mouse/USB Stick. I changed BIOS Settings, Used a Known working Drive and Memory in another identical NUC that I Own.

Upon receiving my new NUC it was of course updated to the Latest and Greatest Firmware, 078 from Intel, Released in March of 2020. On a whim, I went ahead and read through the release notes and found that Intel has now renamed all of the USB Ports in Version 078...

**Fixed issue regarding USB connector naming for BE products. **

Directly from Intel's Release Notes

So I flashed the Bios back to Version 77, and Thus far, I am in business using @Leesureone's files provided on Page 90.

I believe without a doubt my issue with the Previous NUC was solely related to Bios 78, but of course want to hear what others have experienced.

Hello again! Got my replacement NUC back and guess what... The New one has the Same Problem.

Now this is a NUC8I5BEH and to recall your memory I had thought and sworn there was an issue with the USB2.0 Ports.... the system would hang after about 3-4 min but only if something Was Plugged in.. I.E Keyboard/Mouse/USB Stick. I changed BIOS Settings, Used a Known working Drive and Memory in another identical NUC that I Own.

Upon receiving my new NUC it was of course updated to the Latest and Greatest Firmware, 078 from Intel, Released in March of 2020. On a whim, I went ahead and read through the release notes and found that Intel has now renamed all of the USB Ports in Version 078...

**Fixed issue regarding USB connector naming for BE products. **

Directly from Intel's Release Notes

So I flashed the Bios back to Version 77, and Thus far, I am in business using @Leesureone's files provided on Page 90.

I believe without a doubt my issue with the Previous NUC was solely related to Bios 78, but of course want to hear what others have experienced.

It didn't work well with Bios 78?
Because Leesureone said it works well (I didn't update yet)

Same model, just updated to 78 no issues.

So not to update yet to Bios 78?
Thanks

Thanks
Hey Dan! I was not able to do so, I went back to 77 and did Catalina 10.5.4 without issue so far!

If you've created a USB-SSDT for Bios Version 77 they will more than likely be completely different in Version 78. I'm going to try the OpenCore version and play around with that to see if that can work.

Thanks
Right, it did for me without needing to tweak USB in any fashion but machines vary, even supposedly identical models.

Hey Dan! I was not able to do so, I went back to 77 and did Catalina 10.5.4 without issue so far!

If you've created a USB-SSDT for Bios Version 77 they will more than likely be completely different in Version 78. I'm going to try the OpenCore version and play around with that to see if that can work.
Maybe, it didn't make a difference for me but then this is the Hackintosh world. You can never know until you try.

Back