Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Just a quick thank to @Leesureone, @RehabMan and everyone else who has helped out here. Thanks to you I am now running my first Hackintosh!

NUC8i7BEH
BIOS v71 (downgraded from v72, but may not have been necessary)
32GB Corsair DDR 2400Mhz
500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus (upgraded firmware)
1st monitor via HDMI
2nd monitor via USB-C to DP

Post #901 was key! But the biggest issue I had was just booting Clover. I think I had toggled a setting in the BIOS that I shouldn't have (probably audio notification on startup) and after the "Intel NUC" screen my monitor would go black 75+% of the time. Loading defaults didn't seem to change anything either -- possibly caused by downgrading the BIOS after making changes. (I'm pretty sure my settings persisted through the downgrade, which was surprising.)

As others have noted, I have to unplug one of the monitors while booting (and sometimes unplug/replug both after waking from sleep), but I often have issues waking my real Macbook Pro when it sleeps in a docking port.

I've tried a few USB WiFi dongles without success, but they were both cheap ones I had lying around from an old project. I'd rather use ethernet anyway, I just need to move my switch.

I don't know how much of it is the NVMe drive, but this thing feels so fast. Anyway, thanks again!

@mark101010 you made my day well and also @Leesureone you made my day. I purchased my NUC8i7BEH a few weeks ago wanting to make my FIRST Hackintosh as well. I have been pulling my hair hout. My problem was ALSO not being able to install Mojove 10.14.6 as it would boot Clover and then the usual apple logo but it would never reach the apple install screen.

Also thanks @yusoffb01 for letting me know that BIOS VERSION 73 works with Leesureone files in their post #901. I did notice your CPU is the i3 I hope that doesn't make the difference. If it does I'll downgrade to BIOS version 71.

About to start from scratch again and fingers crossed I'll be able to at least boot into Mojave. I don't care about the wireless not working as I use LAN.

The only difference to your build @mark101010 is I will be using for now a Crucial MX500 2.5" SSD drive. I hope I don't need different files for that.

I'll let you know how I go tomorrow. Thanks for at least alerting to the fact that it is possible to get Mojave 10.14.6 installed on the NUC8i7BEH.

@mark101010 you made my day well and also @Leesureone you made my day. I purchased my NUC8i7BEH a few weeks ago wanting to make my FIRST Hackintosh as well. I have been pulling my hair hout. My problem was ALSO not being able to install Mojove 10.14.6 as it would boot Clover and then the usual apple logo but it would never reach the apple install screen.

Also thanks @yusoffb01 for letting me know that BIOS VERSION 73 works with Leesureone files in their post #901. I did notice your CPU is the i3 I hope that doesn't make the difference. If it does I'll downgrade to BIOS version 71.

About to start from scratch again and fingers crossed I'll be able to at least boot into Mojave. I don't care about the wireless not working as I use LAN.

The only difference to your build @mark101010 is I will be using for now a Crucial MX500 2.5" SSD drive. I hope I don't need different files for that.

I'll let you know how I go tomorrow. Thanks for at least alerting to the fact that it is possible to get Mojave 10.14.6 installed on the NUC8i7BEH.
You dot have to worry about which CPU is installed, the Symbios in the config.plist is the most important part of identifying the machine, Mojave and Clover sort out the CPU.

Just tried to update my nuc8i7 to 10.14.6 and get stuck at 23min remaining for hours. Booted verbose and this is what i get ....
How can i save my system??
B4F60D41-C9B8-4064-BA27-082579915B1A.jpeg

Just tried to update my nuc8i7 to 10.14.6 and get stuck at 23min remaining for hours. Booted verbose and this is what i get ....
How can i save my system??
View attachment 426982
Can you post a picture that shows the whole screen a little better? Maybe post your EFI folder too if you can boot form your USB drive

Last edited:
Here

how is this?
That is better, something seems like something happened to your EFI folder. Try booting with your USB drive to finish the update and then you should be able to check it.

That is better, something seems like something happened to your EFI folder. Try booting with your USB drive to finish the update and then you should be able to check it.
ok I was able to reboot using the USB. it went to my 10.14.5 installation without updating. how can I fix my EFI folder?

This post here explains in detail how to mount the EFI portions on both your hard drive and USB boot drive. #1,278

You can either compare the difference between the two and make then make the necessary modifications on your hard drive or just delete the it, empty the trash and then copy the EFI folder from the USB drive over. You can also use my EFI folder from here. #901

Ok Finally got it to boot without the USB....however...
It boots to clover with like 6 different options to boot to. I choose boot macOS to macOS and it boots. There is an install options, will that complete the update?

Back