Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

HI @vicantu. The first thing that stood out was there are no USB kexts in Clover/ Kexts/Other. USBInjectAll.kext is needed to support the DSDT in ACPI/Patched and together they help make sleep possible. Its one of the most common issues identified with sleep/wake problems. I also use XHCI-unsupported.kext. but I have also run without it with zero issues.
Thank you Leesureone, I will put those two Kext on Clover/Kexts/Other folder. As you can see on my /Library/extensions screenshot attached, I made the assumption that putting them there was ok.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 10.52.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 10.52.11 AM.png
    248 KB · Views: 67
Thank you Leesureone, I will put those two Kext on Clover/Kexts/Other folder. As you can see on my /Library/extensions screenshot attached, I made the assumption that putting them there was ok.

Wow, that is a lot of texts you don't need. I also think you choose one place to load texts, clover/kexts/other or L/E.

I think you need to spend some time and review what you can eliminate on your EFI folder and go from there. You can use mine as a guideline and or just back yours up and replace it with mine. If you choose to delete kexts from L/E make sure to also rebuild the kext.cache when done.

I

Last edited:
The 10.14.6 supplemental update keeps restarting my system and doesn't install. Anyone else having issues? I have a NUC8i3BEH. Thx

When it restarts, which it will do twice, are you selecting Mojave Install from the Clover boot window? If you don't the install won't continue.

Thanks Leesureone - that was it! You're such a big help - appreciate it

I am still in trouble with my NUC8i7

If i boot from USB everithing except Bluetooth and wifi works but still i can’t boot from SSDm2

I downloaded the last Clover 2,5 5070
But i can’t find the way to boot without usb
I know i am boring but i’d love to solve be cause i will put the second drive ssd with win10pro but i’d like to do that after i al ok with Mojave

Please help

But i can’t find the way to boot without usb
OK, let’s do it from scratch.
Boot into OS X.
1) Double check that you have 100% bootable clover version on your USB flash drive.
2) Mount USB drive EFI partition via Clover Configurator (CC) and copy EFI folder to Desktop.
Unmount USB EFI partition via CC.
Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 22.40.01.png

3) Mount EFI partition from SSD via CC and delete all contents on it (Empty Trash).
Unmount EFI partition via CC.
Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 22.55.25.png

4) Open EFI folder you’ve copied to your Desktop and inspect /Clover/Drivers/UEFI/ folder. Better to leave it open during next step.
5) Start Clover Bootloader installation. Select your NVMe SSD as target pressing Change Install Location. Next press Customise and select as many UEFI Drivers corresponding with your EFI folder from Desktop as you can then press install.
Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 23.15.29.png

6) After installation is complete, copy all missing UEFI Drivers (if there are any) into /Clover/Drivers/UEFI/ folder on EFI SSD partition still mounted by Clover installer. Next synchronise all the folders in EFI SSD partition and EFI folder on your desktop except /Clover/Drivers/UEFI/ (it’s already done) and BOOT folder.

Congrats, you are done! Time to reboot and verify that your NUC able to boot without USB flash drive.
PS: use my screenshots just as references 'cause they from X99 mb, not from NUC

Last edited:
OK, let’s do it from scratch.
Boot into OS X.
1) Double check that you have 100% bootable clover version on your USB flash drive.
2) Mount USB drive EFI partition via Clover Configurator (CC) and copy EFI folder to Desktop.
Unmount USB EFI partition via CC.
View attachment 426748
3) Mount EFI partition from SSD via CC and delete all contents on it (Empty Trash).
Unmount EFI partition via CC.
View attachment 426754
4) Open EFI folder you’ve copied to your Desktop and inspect /Clover/Drivers/UEFI/ folder. Better to leave it open during next step.
5) Start Clover Bootloader installation. Select your NVMe SSD as target pressing Change Install Location. Next press Customise and select as many UEFI Drivers corresponding with your EFI folder from Desktop as you can then press install.
View attachment 426750
6) After installation is complete, copy all missing UEFI Drivers (if there are any) into /Clover/Drivers/UEFI/ folder on EFI SSD partition still mounted by Clover installer. Next synchronise all the folders in EFI SSD partition and EFI folder on your desktop except /Clover/Drivers/UEFI/ (it’s already done) and BOOT folder.

Congrats, you are done! Time to reboot and verify that your NUC able to boot without USB flash drive.
PS: use my screenshots just as references 'cause they from X99 mb, not from NUC

That is a nice write up and also installs the most recent version of Clover at the same time! At step 3, after emptying the trash, you could also just copy the EFI from the desktop to the EFI partition on the SSD (if it has all the necessary drivers and kexts) and be done.

Last edited:
Just a quick thank to @Leesureone, @RehabMan and everyone else who has helped out here. Thanks to you I am now running my first Hackintosh!

NUC8i7BEH
BIOS v71 (downgraded from v72, but may not have been necessary)
32GB Corsair DDR 2400Mhz
500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus (upgraded firmware)
1st monitor via HDMI
2nd monitor via USB-C to DP

Post #901 was key! But the biggest issue I had was just booting Clover. I think I had toggled a setting in the BIOS that I shouldn't have (probably audio notification on startup) and after the "Intel NUC" screen my monitor would go black 75+% of the time. Loading defaults didn't seem to change anything either -- possibly caused by downgrading the BIOS after making changes. (I'm pretty sure my settings persisted through the downgrade, which was surprising.)

As others have noted, I have to unplug one of the monitors while booting (and sometimes unplug/replug both after waking from sleep), but I often have issues waking my real Macbook Pro when it sleeps in a docking port.

I've tried a few USB WiFi dongles without success, but they were both cheap ones I had lying around from an old project. I'd rather use ethernet anyway, I just need to move my switch.

I don't know how much of it is the NVMe drive, but this thing feels so fast. Anyway, thanks again!

Back