Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Well, since my router is close by I will stay with Ethernet for now. Bluetooth keyboard and mouse are still working fine. Although the unused NVME slot is calling my name. I can’t believe how good this little NUC runs.
I use Super Duper to clone my drive.
Do you guys use Time Machine at all?
Anyway, many thanks for all your help guys.
I actually considered spending $1400 on a Mac mini. Glad I didn’t!
Just can’t beat these little NUC’s for general computing needs.
What do you think of SuperDuper vs. Time Machine?
That unused NVME slot works better with an NVME ssd, if you have wired internet, thats my opinion anyway. Wifi = Mobil devices IMO.
Time machine works fine, never tried super duper but I'm also a big fan of CCCloner.

Although the unused NVME slot is calling my name.
As Leesureone mentioned, this slot is designed to accept M.2 ssd drives and if you feel comfortable using wired connection it's better do not use nvme slot to connect wi-fi card (which needs just pci1 line instead of four in nvme). NVME drives are much faster (4 times minimum) in comparison with regular SATA ssd.
What do you think of SuperDuper vs. Time Machine?
As for my preferences in archiving data, i'm using Time Machine located on my home network server (it's shame, but I know nothing about SD). And I'm big fan of Carbon Copy Cloner too, it won my heart right after Os X came out. If I need to clone whole system for use on the same machine, CCC is my only one solution.

As Leesureone mentioned, this slot is designed to accept M.2 ssd drives and if you feel comfortable using wired connection it's better do not use nvme slot to connect wi-fi card (which needs just pci1 line instead of four in nvme). NVME drives are much faster (4 times minimum) in comparison with regular SATA ssd.

As for my preferences in archiving data, i'm using Time Machine located on my home network server (it's shame, but I know nothing about SD). And I'm big fan of Carbon Copy Cloner too, it won my heart right after Os X came out. If I need to clone whole system for use on the same machine, CCC is my only one solution.

OK, I will leave the slot open until I install an NVME drive.
Do you guys boot from the NVME or just use it for storage.
If I copy the Mac OS to the NVME drive, would it boot faster? Could I clone my SSD to the NVME drive?
What is your strategy regarding your internal SSD drive and your internal NVME drive?
Thanks for the help guys!
Len

One more question regarding operating temp of the NUC.
My cores run at idle about 35C.
But as you can see in the screenshot, Thermal Zone 2 runs at about 135C. It never really changes.
What temps are you guys seeing? What is Thermal Zone 2?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 11.59.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 11.59.37 AM.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 68
But as you can see in the screenshot, Thermal Zone 2 runs at about 135C. It never really changes.
This is what I have.

Greetings
schlotterp

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-04 um 20.00.56.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-04 um 20.00.56.png
    202.8 KB · Views: 80
This is what I have.

Greetings
schlotterp

It looks like your Thermal Zone 1 is my Thermal Zone 2, so I guess I'm ok.
I changed the BIOS cooling setting to Cool instead of Balanced. It increases the fan speed a little, but I still can hardly hear it. But the temps dropped a few degrees so i will stay with it.

INHO It's a bug in HWSensors, I got the same result on my NUC8i7 previously. Now I use HWMonitorSMC2 with no issues, but it doesn't show up any Thermal Zones :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-04 at 20.08.39.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-04 at 20.08.39.png
    552.7 KB · Views: 82
OK, I will leave the slot open until I install an NVME drive.
Do you guys boot from the NVME or just use it for storage.
If I copy the Mac OS to the NVME drive, would it boot faster? Could I clone my SSD to the NVME drive?
What is your strategy regarding your internal SSD drive and your internal NVME drive?
Thanks for the help guys!
Len
Since NVMe drive is up to four times faster than SATA connected drive, it make sense to use it as boot/system drive for fast startup (and loading apps) performance. SATA is better for storage because it's cheaper ;)

Since NVMe drive is up to four times faster than SATA connected drive, it make sense to use it as boot/system drive for fast startup (and loading apps) performance. SATA is better for storage because it's cheaper ;)

Is there a particular brand NVME card that is more compatible with a hackintosh?
Are there differences speed wise?
Based on price, I think I’ll go with a 500GB.
Do I have to change anything in the BIOS when I install it?
Once it is installed I will clone the SATA SSD to the NVME drive.
Then I’ll reboot off the NVME drive. If all goes well I will use the SATA SSD as a Time Machine backup.
Then I will have both a TM backup and a Clone of my boot drive. Just in case.

Last edited:
Question for you guys- my NUC all of a sudden died on me and won’t turn on after working great for almost a year. I got a replacement through RMA. I swapped my drive and ram and the new one boots but when I get to the OS HDMI gives me a lot of errors (it looks like intermittent rainbow snow). It only happens if I operated at my normal resolution (ultrawide) but doesn’t seem like an issue at 1080p.

I tried trashing my EFI folder and using the one from Post 903. I also tried the EFI folder from a couple pages ago.

Any thoughts?

Back