Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

OK and one last question. What are my options for getting Bluetooth and WiFi working. Is there an internal card that would work with the NVMe or maybe a WiFi/Bluetooth USB dongle?
Thanks again

OK and one last question. What are my options for getting Bluetooth and WiFi working. Is there an internal card that would work with the NVMe or maybe a WiFi/Bluetooth USB dongle?
Thanks again
As far as I know there is no one USB dongle solution, you can use separate ones (one for wifi and one for BT) but I've never been able to get continuity working. There is an adapter for the M2 slot that works with a genuine airport card, I think the UIAC.DDST in EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched needs to be modified to allow the internal usb headers to work.

This user did it, there are other posts in this thread as well but this seems to have the best run down on parts and his DDST is available for download.

As far as I know there is no one USB dongle solution, you can use separate ones (one for wifi and one for BT) but I've never been able to get continuity working. There is an adapter for the M2 slot that works with a genuine airport card, I think the UIAC.DDST in EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched needs to be modified to allow the internal usb headers to work.

This user did it, there are other posts in this thread as well but this seems to have the best run down on parts and his DDST is available for download.

OK, thank you so much for your help.
It's running great, and I generated a unique SN and followed the guide using Clover Config.
I am now signed in to the App Store with no issues.
:)

there are other posts in this thread as well...
I also managed to use apple card with my NUC8i7.
get adapter here
Below you can find my EFI folder. Only one internal USB header is activated, the one in the picture.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 126
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 209
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 199
I also managed to use apple card with my NUC8i7.
get adapter here
Below you can find my EFI folder. Only one internal USB header is activated, the one in the picture.

Thanks for the info.
So, the item you reference is just the adaptor and screws, correct?
Where did you buy the actual Broadcom card, and the antenna wires and the USB2 connector wire?
Thanks!
Len

Edit
The adapter is available several places, here's one

The antenna wires same deal, Amazon, Ebay etc. but you are going to have to figure out size snap on connector and then what kind of antenna to use (internal or external). You might be able to reuse the original connectors, Chinese Spy can answer that I'm sure.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZHT2JE/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Same with the actual card

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZHT2JE/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
One more question please,
I notice the Bluetooth shows as being on in the taskbar.
And it seems to try to connect with my BT mouse. But it times out and doesn’t connect.
Also, the option to turn Bluetooth off is greyed out in the Bluetooth control panel. So my guess is it’s not working properly. Is there a way to fix this with a kext or config option? And if no, can I use a dongle and if yes, do I need to disable the internal bluetooth?
Thanks!
Len
UPDATE:
Bluetooth actually works. I did get my Apple Mouse and Keyboard to pair and both show as connected and work perfectly.
I am using Ethernet for WiFi.

Last edited:
You might be able to reuse the original connectors, Chinese Spy can answer that I'm sure.
I use built-in antennas. It’s very easy, you just need to remove main board and find a new route for antenna wires, the length is long enough to do so.
My experience with internal Bluetooth was not great. Unstable connection and annoying interruptions. In other hand, Apple Card works flawlessly and straight from power on. You can use Bluetooth keyboard in bios with this card. And all the bells and whistles which apple delivered is working.

Well, since my router is close by I will stay with Ethernet for now. Bluetooth keyboard and mouse are still working fine. Although the unused NVME slot is calling my name. I can’t believe how good this little NUC runs.
I use Super Duper to clone my drive.
Do you guys use Time Machine at all?
Anyway, many thanks for all your help guys.
I actually considered spending $1400 on a Mac mini. Glad I didn’t!
Just can’t beat these little NUC’s for general computing needs.
What do you think of SuperDuper vs. Time Machine?

Back